Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: Visions (seven stories from Japanese anime studios)

• 17-08-2021 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭

Well this trailer looks epic! 2 Versions, 1 subbed (with subtitles for non-anime peeps) and 1 dubbed (english voice actors voicing over)

7 stories so I'd assume there will be a range of anime styles on offer so probably advisable not to get hooked thinking one or two scenes from the trailer is representative of every episode

To keep things anime .. so to speak 🙂 .. subbed goes first!

Subbed:

Dubbed:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,472 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Still better than the Inquisitor sabres.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Yeah, I like the look of that anime series. Some of it looks very pretty. Some, not so much.

I haven't followed any of the animated series apart from Gendy Tartakofsky's Clone Wars series years ago and I know this is just a short series of standalone episodes but they can be interesting (Think of The Animatrix series)

Yeah, looking forward to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Ah! They're all short episodes less than 15 mins!

1: That was pretty cool to be fair!

The umbrella style of that lightsaber really felt right in the old Black and White Anime style. The story with him being a Ronin and having a red lightsaber was a nice twist too.

2: I don't even know what style you'd call that. Definitely aiming towards a younger audience.

I think I've seen some genre about Bands and stuff like that but not sure.

It was fun all the same. It was cool that the voice of

Boba Fett was done by Temuera Morrison himself 🙂

Definite feels of the Episode 2 scenes around the

nightclub and assassin chase from the parts on Coruscant

3: That was daft and funny and hilarious and.. lookit.. don't go into this one with any eh.. facts or physics and such 😁

I'm just thinkin the ultimate pitch this studio was going for was.. wanting a Kiddo Luke Skywalker, Standing, Lightsaber Drawn, outside .. in outer space.. no protection.. on the tip of his X-Wing.. Wind flowing through his locks, as his ship enters Hyperspace after he gracefully did a surgical strike to remove a kyber crystal from his nemesis sister's armour suit.. followed by cutting a Star Destroyer in two 😁

Nailed it! 😂😁

• Advertisement

4: Damn Straight

She's a Jedi!

The episode felt a bit drawn out but the ending was kinda cool.

5: That was alright. Could kinda see it maybe working out if it was a longer series with the character interactions going on. Too short to say for sure.

The lightsaber fight was decent enough.. chopping all the Sith in half though! 😲

6: I think that might have been a younger audience one again. It was kind of quirky and different.

I liked the artwork they had on the walls in the buildings. Reminded me of some posters for the films I think.

7: That was good. Liked the animation style in this one. Story was solid and simple.

That fight was epic!

In the English language version, David Harbour voiced the main Jedi in this one. I swear his voice reminded me of Harrison Ford

8: The animation on this one was really good. Longest episode so far at about 20mins I think. Straight forward enough story.

The Sword fight was cool. Felt a bit frustrating how it ended given I don't know any reason to think they'll have an opportunity to show more of their story.

• Advertisement

9: Woah! 😱 All that in just 12 mins! That was well done!

Was noticing that he didn't seem in good enough shape for the fight and started wondering if it was a Sith conversion episode. Wasn't expecting her to throw the Princess at him and have him kill her

George Takei did one of the English voice cast. Think he was one of the funny guys 🙂

So.. Finished!! 🙂 Overall: Yeah that was grand. A wide range of story styles and animations. Some fun, some serious.

I'd probably have been leaning to favour the more .. seriousey episodes.

Probably have to say the top three episodes would have been: 1, 7 and 9 with a nods to 8 only for the

frustrating ending

Again shoutout to episode 3 which was just bonkers 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Relikk

Thought this was very good overall with no bad episodes (as such, as I wasn't particularly engaged by Tatooine Rhapsody or the T0-B1 episodes, but they weren't bad by any means). As for the standout episodes, The Duel, The Village Bride, The Ninth Jedi, The Elder and Lop and Ocho were all superb.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,902 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Am i crazy or was there a promo for a story about two jedi brothers who fight a duel, that wasn't in this release?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Relikk

Sounds like the episode The Twins, although that was brother and sister fighting other. One of the more "anime" episodes.

Yeah, not remembering any brothers promo. Hardly the

Sister and adopted (Bunny?) Sister in their episode where the not-adopted sister sided with the empire? Sisters tho.. so guessing unlikely to what you were remembering

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I thought overall that was very good. I liked some more than others. My only gripe is that is that I preferred to watch in Japanese with subtitles and I really wish they would have a non-CC subtitled track also (I really don't need to read "Lightsabre whooshes") :

1: The Duel - Really liked this. Liked the animation style. Was a great reminder that Jedi are basically Samurai (Man, how cool would it be to see Hiroyuki Sanada in the p1$$ing rain with a lightsabre?)

2: Tatooine Rhapsody - It was fine. The weakest for me although it was fun.

3: The Twins - Cool dynamic fighting. Interesting take on the Sith

4: The Village Bride - Pretty animation. Can't remember much of the story though

5: The Ninth Jedi - Liked this one a lot. Liked the characters. Again, lovely animation style.

6: T0-B1 - Liked this one too (Although I can understand why some may not). A very obvious nod to Otomo's Astro boy (In story and character design) which is possibly why I liked it so much

7: The Elder - Thought the bad guy was nice and creepy. Wasn't gone on the Jedi or his Padwan.

8: Liked the character design (Although, again, I can understand those who don't). Again, can't remember much of the story.

9: Akakiri - Was interesting. But personally wasn't gone on the animation style and was hella depressing :)

So overall I did like them. Liked the who Animatrix vibe from them. Would like to see another season of unrelated stories. While The Last Jedi had some serious flaws, I did like the idea (Later forgotten about) that there were potentials throughout the galaxy. Sure, it was a bit on the nose (The kid force pulling the broom) but the suggestion was good and I like that these stories expanded beyond the Skywalkers.

Alright, season 2.. let's roll! 🙂

2.1: El Guiri Studios. I watched it in Japanese with Subtitles. This one was an unusal art form at first but I got used to it.

Good little story I think. Not one I can say I remember happening before.

A Sith successfully getting out of it and going on to be part dark, part light. The dual sided lightsaber was really cool. The baddie's voice worked really well in Japanese.

First two episodes..

a bit dark side leaning

2.2: Kilkenny-based Cartoon Saloon. I watched it in Dublinese with Subtitles. Definitely the art style felt familiar.

😦 Jeez, I wasn't expecting to be having some feels from a 13 minute animation. I had been wondering about what killing the Sith in the cave meant but it all became clear then and the end.

2.3: Punkrobot Studios. Back to Japanese with Subtitles. Kinda like a stop motion with some animation.. worked well.

Thought this one was very good. Started low key but built up really well to the end.

Had a real feels moment there when the big sister turned out to be able to use the force and save the kid 🙂 Then carrying the bonding feeling to the end with the memories of the past.

2.4: Aardmann Animations. Switched to English Back with Subtitles. Japanese didn't feel right at all. The Wallace and Gromit studio!

This one was a bunch of fun. Some big laughs but overall fun in the end.

The tiny Death Star! 😁

• Advertisement

Ooooh! There's a quirky fun voice bit towards the end of the credits. It was fun 🙂

2.5: Studio Mir. Back to Japanese with Subtitles. This one felt like proper old school Japanese anime style.

This felt like a strong episode. Definitely had some cool moments and also banter and some of the locations were done really cool.

Even at the temple in the room where the young Jedi was meditating.

The decapitation moment was a bit 😲 .. but I guess they really hid it from the audience so kids wouldn't be too shocked.

2.6: Studio La Cachette. Continuing with Japanese with Subtitles. This one had it's own style I thought. The feel of the location reminded me of the end of the film Inglorius Bastards. The story was good in it too.

Not sure why it didn't click with me that he was her son until she revealed it

2.7: 88 Pictures. Switched to English with Subtitles. Japanese didn't feel right. A studio from Mumbai, India!

This was really good. Wasn't sure where they were going at first but solid build up at the start and then finished really well.

Definitely contender for one of the top fights this season. An inquisitor vs old school Jedi will do that 🙂

2.8: D'ART Shtajio. Back to Japanese with Subtitles. This one felt kinda introspective and meaningful.

Also a bit sad about yer man. Pretty sure that was the kyber crystal turning blue for her Jedi colour at the end there.

Oh, there was a post credits scene at the end... the end end 🙂 Worked well for how it was built up in the episode.

2.9: This one was by: Triggerfish. I stuck with Japanese and Subtitles. Probably the most uniquely creative style of the season. Kinda teddy bear stop motion with background animation.

Overall feels from the story was kinda.. like... nice.. nice?.. yeah nice 🙂

Two episodes about the kyber. Very different feels.

Right! Season two done 🙂 Overall: Yeah thought it was grand. Again a variety of story and styles. Felt more well rounded somehow this time.

I'd say my top three were 2, 5 and yeah go on.. I'll give 9 the shout for being so creative 🙂

Though all the episodes were very watchable.

Advertisement