Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Should i report accident in company van to my private insurer?

• 21-09-2021 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭

This morning, in my company van, reversed into a parked car in driveway of their house, did about €1k worth of damage. Will report it to company transport section and let them sort it put etc but someone said i need to report it to my own insurance company also, is this correct? Ive had a few minor tips over the yeras and never reported them to my own insurer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 tenant2b

Absolutely not.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Absolutely not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

Won't it come up at renewal on the private policy ?

Don't you have to declare if you've had any accidents no ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

Damn

Just looked my last renewal lol

I see I've declared that I haven't had a house insurance policy declined or cancelled in the last 7 years

Like ffs i didn't realize they'd crossed into that territory now, haven't seen that one before

You just can't be too careful with them

• Advertisement

",Any accident ,loss or claim made against you or any driver "

Does that not cover all accidents no ?

I'd be reasonably confident without proof otherwise that insurers will be looking to be notified of "any" accidents at renewal

Sure they look for everything else why wouldn't they, you're a greater risk if you crash a company van

I suppose it depends on insurer, I just checked my policy holders and they ask for what I mentioned above

Sure they nearly ask what u ate for breakfast

I'll be amazed if they don't ask to declare all accidents

It's one of the most obvious questions for them to ask

• Registered Users Posts: 18,871 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Your company will report it to their insurance so it will be a claim, you will need to inform insurance companies when you are renewing. If there's any delays you'll have an open claim and may not even be able to move insurance companies at renewal.

^^ kinda obvious really

They're not gonna let that one get past them , sure they already know all the tricks

• Advertisement

I'm not going to waste any more time arguing with you, I'm telling you what my insurance company ask. Take from it what you want.

I wasn't arguing

I would say you're the exception that's all

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

None the wiser after this thread, thanks anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭barrier86

You’re obliged to inform your insurance company that you have a claim against you under another policy. It’ll have no impact on your private bonus (it won’t be stepped back etc), but there may be a loading against your renewal.

it’s easy for people to say don’t inform them, but I worked in the industry until recently enough and I can guarantee they will find out if you have failed to disclose this information if you ever need to make a claim on your own policy. I’ve seen theft and fire claims refused because of non-disclosure of material facts.

thats just my two cents!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Ok thanks but i've no idea if there will be a claim or if the company will just settle. Also as i said ive had a few minor scrapes previously and i presume the company just settled without making a claim but obv i dont know for sure. And what kind of laoding would you hazard a guess at? Current private insurance is fully comp, approx €525

• Registered Users Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭cena

Why would you report to your insurer? Surely the company would have you insured or are you using your own private insurance to drive the company van?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭vandriver

It will be a claim against ABC Transport Ltd(example!) not the OP,surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Hi Op,

As many other posters have mentioned, you just report the accident to your companies insurance company.

You dont report to your own private insurer as you were driving your company vehicle not your own private car.

Might be no harm reporting it to the Garda also, is there any Cctv or dashcam footage of the accident?

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭barrier86

ABC transports insurer will pay the claim, but the OP was responsible for the incident so it will have to be noted against him.

when applying for insurance you need to provide a full record of your driving, this includes penalty points, claims etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭kaahooters

it asked on my renewal if you have any other vehical insured under your name, a company vehicle is covered under this, so, under this, i presume youd have to declare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

A company vehicle is not insured under your name, rather it is insured under the employers name, the fact it covers you driving does not mean it is covered under your name.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭seagull

The question when taking out insurance is typically along the lines of "Have you had any incident giving rise to a claim in the last 5 years?" It's generic enough to cover any incident in any vehicle. Failure to disclose can then have significant repercussions if they find out.

Advertisement