Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does money buy happiness?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭NSAman

We’ll try it sometime and report back to us.

the only thing money does is give you choices. If you are an inherently unhappy person, money won’t change that. Very wealthy individuals have few friends and lead solitary lives. They have houses which shield them from everyone. They e]rarely meet people, except their own business contacts. Most people they meet are fake as hell. Give me “some” money and I’m happier, give me too much and I would start to worry.

I have been dirt poor, made money, lost it and made it again, the one thing that has never changed is my friends, the fact that family always comes first and your health is really the most important thing in life.

oh by the way, I am not wealthy, more comfortable.

Is this becoming "wealth won't buy you happiness?" because that's different to "being comfortable financially eliminates money worries, thereby bringing you a significant level of contentment".

I have very little interest in expensive stuff but I'd be a lot less happy if I were kept awake at night with stress over how to pay for the roof over my head, and bills. Extreme cases of that have led to suicide.

I can see how a very wealthy person would prefer to live a more normal life (but still comfortably off of course) after the novelty wears off, but they're still in a better position to do something about their unhappiness. Therapy and relaxing getaways can be paid for easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Blud

I'm already happy, so I don't need money to buy me happiness.

I need it to buy other ****. Nice ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Josephfromdowntheroad

Money buys pleasure.

Pleasure and happiness are very different things.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ish66

I could be miserable in comfort !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,752 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

imagine waking up in the morning and seeing Dublin, 17 degrees, rain... nothing much on tv, nothing much to do... fûck it..never been to Treviso in Italy... no direct flights from here ? Grand, ring Netjets, tell them you want to depart at 15.30... order what food you want on the plane, they’ll book you a chauffeur to your 5 star hotel... I think I’d be happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,252 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Money doesn't buy you happiness but not having money will leave you very sad

The mistake people make is thinking that if they win a million or two on the lotto they can give up work. The underlying goal seems to be giving up work.

I'd never give up work. The good times become the normal then, and whats normal isn't special

2 million over the course of 35 years is about 50K a year. A healthy salary but not sufficient to allow you to become extravagant.

My advice if you win the lotto/money is to train to do what you always wanted, but don't give up. Use the money to be all you can be.

When you have no reason to get up early in the morning, life is over

• Registered Users Posts: 13,304 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

It sounded to me that she had a 'troubled ' life regardless of , not because of, wealth

• Registered Users Posts: 19,006 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

The only chance at anonymity would be to tell nobody close to you. But that also means not sharing your win. It would also mean being careful with what you bought for yourself - which might not be a bad thing either but it is still something you would have to take into account.

It would be more likely that you could pull that off if you were already somewhat wealthy or were self employed with a business. If you have a little business and you buy yourself a brand new fancy car, or offer money to help someone in your family etc. people might just assume you have it from your own resources naturally.

If you won the Euro Millions would you keep it to yourself or would you want to share it with some people close to you? If you want to do the latter, your anonymity won't last. I think I'd have to share it and try to deal with the consequences later. Irish lotto, I might be able to reasonably "hide" the win and still help out family etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,211 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Lots of studies have shown that happiness increases up to an income around about 75k a year and then extra income stops making people happier

At 75k people generally can provide for all their basic needs, have the security of a pension, insurance etc and be able to pursue hobbies and interests and support relatives/charities if they want to

if That income also came without any work pressure it could be even better as long as the person had something meaningful to occupy their days with

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,648 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Yes, if you aren't stupid.

An interviewer once asked Cary Grant whether money could buy happiness - he grew up in poverty in grim circumstances in the UK - and he replied something along the lines of 'not necessarily, but it makes the alternative far more pleasant than it otherwise would be.'

Like you I need structure but not everyone is built that way - some don't mind not having a reason to get up at a certain time every day.

If I was lucky enough to come into millions, I'd be kept occupied for a good while initially with travelling and house-buying/decorating, but then, yeah I'd need more of a day-to-day focus. I'd do as you suggest - college or some form of training, and set something up, whether business or charity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

The journey to wealth makes people happy. Earning it makes people happy. Overcoming the struggle. Gradual betterment. Small accomplishments day to day.

I never understand why lotto winners go public about it. I don't think I'd tell anyone at all because that's what will ruin your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭seenitall

Yeah if I won a life-changing amount of money, I wouldn’t tell a soul and I would probably end up packing up my life and leaving, to start again somewhere far away, somewhere where no one knows me and doesn’t feel entitled to ask nosy questions, speculate and become a scrounger. It would be heartbreaking to see the people in my life turn into that, more heartbreaking than leaving my old life behind.

But then, I am a drifter by nature anyway (“a free spirit” is a nicer way of putting it) and due to some extreme family dysfunction in my background, I find walking away from people, places or situations more a practical service to myself, rather than a disaster or a wrench. It’s what I’ve already had to do once, lock stock and barrel.

It would be so nice to be able to afford to buy my daughter something big she craves, and I’ve no way of affording it for years, if ever! Still, the current situation is at least character-building for her :D

• Registered Users Posts: 43 maeve99

I believe in the U.S., it's obligatory for lottery winners to go public ( as companies want people to think it's easier to win the lottery and play more). I personally would never collect any lottery like that if I went public.

There was a guy who won in Texas but it totally ruined him after he came out. His family was held hostage.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,794 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

These explanations of people who win the lotto and buy the big house away from everyone sounds perfect to me! Not everyone needs social interaction and being able to afford to feck off from everyone is the dream. Everyone not including immediate family or close friends, but everyone else, yeah, feck off! I'm off to play my PS5 on my 220" screen from my pool. *blows bubble pipe*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Indeed, also wandering around my new estate dressed up like an English gentleman from 1920, pocket watch, monacle, glass of brandy and a shotgun as I shoot grouse around the grounds.

Hosting parties and speaking with one hand behind my back whilst closing my eyes ...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

You do you sir! I'll be happy with a well equipped workshop in the back garden (and maybe a secret basement swimming pool!)

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Shao Kahn

For a lot of people, I get the feeling that they think money will give them comfort and peace of mind. Insulation from certain things in life.

But too much comfort can be a bit of a curse. We weren't really designed to live 'comfortable' lives, and the absence of some element of struggle or hardship in our lives ultimately leaves many people feeling frustrated and unfulfilled. And a lack of struggle in your life will make you mentally and physically soft. Money may be able to protect you from some things in life, but it cannot insulate you from the worst consequences of becoming mentally and/or physically soft. Life is hard and mother nature is indifferent to you or me. If you allow yourself to become soft, life will simply chew you up and spit you out. It doesn't care if you have plenty of money in the bank!

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives, and it puts itself into our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." (John Wayne)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭seenitall

Could you elaborate on the above, please? How does having lots of money make someone soft and how does life chew someone up etc because they have lots of money? Because I think none of that makes any sense in reality. “Soft” or passive or troubled or weak-minded people are to be found in any walk of life and I have never noticed their state of mind had anything to do with their financial status. Now, I do know a very wealthy man (inherited wealth) who is a very easygoing person, exceptionally easygoing, almost distractingly so, until you realise that this man doesn’t have a material care in the world and his whole life is given over to the pursuit of various hobbies, interests and pleasures. One can definitely sense a difference in mindframe and attitude to life there, compared to anyone else I know. No frustrations there! This guy is no fool, but he knows that he can solve almost any problem in life for himself or others, and the ones he can’t, well I don’t think that they keep him up at night, either. He was never going to be a heroin addict or a mental case just cos he has loads of money. What I mean is, I think a person’s mindframe/ mental health issues won’t be that influenced by money, it’s more a mixture of genetics and whatever kind of upbringing one has received, I think. If you were gonna go “Soft” and Sink into drugs and insanity, you were going there anyway, money just makes the process go quicker because money oils the wheels of whatever given situation you are in, but it doesn’t actually impact mental health as a standalone element. And if you weren’t going to go “Soft”, you’re really, really laughing once you have loads of money. Trust me, life is a beach party! Going by that particular example, who I know well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭dublin49

I think in general we take whats good about our life for granted and mostly focus on our real or perceived negatives, I doubt many in Ireland take much happiness from the fact we have all won the geographical lotto ,the place where we live is far above the average standard of living worldwide ,a Chinese man said to me "people in Ireland struggle to be happy,we struggle to survive".If you are in good health do you rejoice everyday ,probably not ,if your kids are ok ,does that make you constantly happy,I doubt it,money buys you better stuff than you have ,probably nothing different just better,nicer house,holidays ,car etc,these rarely would make you happy for long in themselves,unless it brings a change,if you live in a neighbourhood that is riddled with crime and you get to move due to a large win than in that case yes ,money can improve your happiness but alternatively you could move from a happy home and leave your great neighbours only to find you dislike the new ones.My view money can make you happier only if it sorts something that was causing you major grief ,such as maybe being able to leave a job you hate,but if you are relatively happy with your circumstance a seismic change like new wealth is as likely to bring unhappiness as happiness.

Advertisement