Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Overgrown ground.

• 21-09-2021 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭

Hey all.

I've been allowed let animals into a field to graze and try help clean up. Only had a few yearlings on it all year. There was silage cut from it once the year before. It has a thick carpet of dead grass. Tried to strip it, but they weren't happy. So have let them loose over it now. See how they go.

Anything i can do to help clear it up?

Was thinking of feeding a few bales rolled out later on of I'm still in there. And let them trample the dead grass in more.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,921 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,132 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Keep any eye out for red water. Old pasture like what you describe can be a harbour for ticks.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭tellmeabit

Oh, there is always something. Ha

Years ago had a field similar to this but a good grazing or 2 really helped. But this is too much. Cows won't stand for it, they have been getting good grass all year. And are now only picking the green and demanding fresh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭hopeso

You might be as well to go in and cut it bare with a mower. If the crop isn't overly heavy, it would rot away on the ground over the winter. A mulcher would chop the grass into a dust if you could get someone to do it....

I wonder if sheep or donkeys would be another option...

I think when he cut it last year he said there was still a Matt of dead grass under it. Will see how it goes over the next week. Would sheep clear it, thought they only ate fresh smaller grass

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭crackcrack30

Horses..

I'd say I won't be on there next year. Said he will buy some calves again in spring. So slow to do much other that graze it. They have grazed the most of it now, and started to green up, alot if waste on the floor, will take them out and see if much comes from it, maybe put some few of them back on in few weeks to pick away at it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,690 ✭✭✭endainoz

You could give a bit of mob grazing a go for a week or so on it. You split the field up into different sections and move the animals to a new patch each day. The idea is that whatever grass they won't eat, they'll trample down with their hooves and create more organic matter for the soil.

Alternatively a good mow/mulch would do the trick. I have a bit of experience with it as I'm still understocked and sometimes have to deal with fields going a bit wild.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

Is there any product you can use to prevent red water in cows? I have access to rough ground for the winter. There was horses in it last winter but its gone over grown again. I was going to put in a few cows that are not calving until next March.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,203 ✭✭✭tanko

Bayticol pour on, put it on them a week or two before moving them and every month after that. It’s a big help but no treatment is 100 % effective at preventing red water. Some people use Imizol as a preventative but i don’t know if that works, it’s the cure if a cow gets redwater if given in time. It has a seven month withdrawal period also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

Cheers Tanko. I was wondering about withdrawals alright. I have a batch of dry cows that are for the road that i was thinking would be suited better to this land but it would mean i would have to hold onto them for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,203 ✭✭✭tanko

The withdrawal for Bayticol is only 5 days for meat and 10 days for milk i think. I’d use Bayticol if i was you, it’s not cheap but gives some peace of mind.

Advertisement