Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Not sure what to make of this landlord?

• 20-09-2021 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭

Hi, so I today I had a viewing for a room in a house share (I'm a worker not a student). While there, the landlord said to me that there was an awful lot of interest in the rooms available and that they had offers of 200-300 euros a month more than what the monthly rent was advertised on Daft. Is this common practice to offer a room to the highest bidder despite what the advert stated? Because I've never come across it before. I dont know what to think to be honest, are they trying their luck to see how much they get get? Thanks if anyone can offer their thoughts on this.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Call his bluff and see what happens

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Emma2019

It happens but not hugely common that I've heard.

Personally I'd avoid a property like that because he's clearly demonstrated he's an absolute gouger and it would make me think he's likely to be difficult to deal with if trying to get anything fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,999 ✭✭✭Caranica

I've rented a room before and been offered more than the advertised rent. I gave them the room but at the advertised rent as I took it as a sign they could pay what I was looking for. So tenants do it too

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

was he the LL or someone who is a tenant also living there

A proper LL rents a house with with a single payment and is RTB registered to those who reside there, anything outside of this can be a roll of the dice sometimes tenants do sublet without the owners knowledge

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭All that fandango

• Advertisement

As it is a house share with a set rent it should be down to the exsisting tenants to find a suitable tenant then ask for the LL premission with refs and details, any other way is amateurish IMO

This practice will become more common as people get more desperate to find somewhere. The shortage of accommodation has long since reached crisis levels.

I looked on Daft a week ago and in all of Dublin, number of properties asking 1600 a month or less, was 319. The same search today gave me 288 results. In a few weeks it could be in single digits.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,208 ✭✭✭✭recode the site

I’m a fully compliant tax-paying landlord and would have concerns about this kind of activity, which will only be stopped if it is reported. It is up to the government to properly incentivise a proper letting/renting economy. There’s only pocket money at best to be made from it for the small timer

Cite:-

• Name of Landord
    • Landlord Address
    • Address of Rental Property

Can I get away with anything if I pay the piper, so to speak?

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭All that fandango

Thanks all for the replies, currently commuting about 90km each way so 180km every day. In Galway aswell. Grateful to have a home to go to at alk. I dont really know what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,149 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Some landlords let by room and are tax compliant and maintain good standards. It can be easier to control than a large group with comings and goings. Some tenants prefer it because it avoids joint and several liability.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,208 ✭✭✭✭recode the site

Once the landlord is RTB registered and there’s a proper agreement, that’s a good place to start. I guess by letting house-shares the landlord can actually make more out of it, but it could verge on a bedsit type arrangement. It would also mean the landlord having to be that bit more available and responsive to answer to a number of different people unrelated to each other.

I let through an agent who has 7 day emergency contact for my tenants. Only this morning the boiler went, and my tenants had no hot water, so it’s now being fixed. My agents have a full list of repair people on call, and are pre-authorised to get them into action. Probably little to nothing to make for me out of October’s let as I feel I will have to replace it at this stage. New condenser gas boilers are very energy efficient, but only the tenants benefit from that, of course.

Can I get away with anything if I pay the piper, so to speak?

Near impossible to get repairs done at the minute rang a plumber to go fix a leak he said he has a 3 week waiting list

If a LL is prepared to do the letting of rooms surely needs approval from the sitting tenant he could install a relative but he is more likely getting more rent and probably breaking the cap on rent still it extra work and nobody works for nothing

Advertisement