Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration and property

• 20-09-2021 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭

Read an article a few days ago and it stated that any time Ireland has a strong economy it'll almost certainly have a housing crisis because people from much bigger EU countries can immigrate here legally.

Now, this is quite uncomfortable to admit, but I think this is quite possibly true. Is there any way around it? In an ideal world we'd have more limited immigration for the next couple of years, but there's nothing that can be done. I think there are some echoes of the Celtic Tiger about the current situation, with a huge demand for new homes which is going to propel the economy for the near future at least.

Is a perpetually unstable housing market the price we pay for economic success while part of the EU?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

For me it is clear that there is a correlation between immigration from 2015 and the explosion in rents, mainly due to supply being an issue. One thing I would say is that a conclusion I have is that sustained high immigration and muted supply is necessary for the property market to stay at current prices or even climb further; or else housing costs will drop. High immigration is nearly taken for granted to be something which will stay with us for the foreseeable future but, like liquidity, it is there until it isn't and it was only 10 years ago that we had net emigration so these trends can reverse and reverse fairly quickly. Even just a change in our political landscape without an economic slowdown, with less pro-business parties than FG/FF, could result in companies being hesitant to grow numbers at high levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,344 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Who do you think built our property since 2015? The immigrants you don't want. The government can restrict migration from other EU countries just like the Dutch have.

People coming here from other EU countries work and keep our economy going. Where do you think they should live? There hasn't been a perpetual housing issue since joining the EU. Our own legal issues with landlords and banks causes the most issues. These are not due to political parties but public pressure which still doesn't want evictions and think their is no cost to the public and only landlords and banks. The public pay through higher rents and mortgages

Brexit was based on the nonsense you said here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

It's not nonsense though, there's no question high levels of immigration put pressure on housing.

There hasn't been a perpetual housing issue since 1973, but there certainly has been since large scale immigration from Eastern Europe began.

Your comments are very simplistic, not acknowledging the impact of immigration is likely to lead to a backlash at some point. It did in the UK. With the pressure on housing this year, there's certainly a strong argument that immigration to Ireland needs to be limited.

None of this is anti immigrant by the way, immigrants aren't to blame at all, immigration policies certainly are in part.

Which immigration policies do you think are at fault?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,344 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

No it is all nonsense and thinly veiled xenophobic. They are here working enriching our economy why single out the Eastern Block? The UK had an issue with the imigration of it's own common wealth countries which is nothing like here.

I agree there will be a racist backlash from people like you who claim it is justified because you don't want them here and think Irish born people have more rights.

I doubt you can actually point to anything that you think should be changes that is anyway reasonable. Look at Brexit and see how important immigration is to the economy

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

In that case you need to dramatically upgrade your reading material, because what you are reading is racist propaganda and your disseminating it will leave us to draw our on conclusions.

If you are serious interested in the situation then demonstrate it by reading and discussing serious documentation not that kind of trash.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,703 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

once again, irelands housing issues are largely due to maintaining a status quo of economic policies that largely favors current property and land owners, this is also maintained by a primarily fire sector(finance, insurance and real estate) run economy, i.e. little or nothing to do with immigrants!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭enricoh

Is the Irish mirror racist propaganda and do I need to upgrade Jim? Over 60k net immigrants into Ireland in 2019-2020. They must live in a parallel universe and not require any housing at all sunny disposition!

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/irelands-population-nears-five-million-22553167

The net inward migration among non-Irish nationals decreased to 28,300 from 35,800 in 2019.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

These threads become cesspools within a few pages and for that reason we're not doing this again.

If you wish to fly kites about limiting immigration from the EU, try the Politics forum but don't expect the thread to stay open there either.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement