Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

A bit clueless on upgrade to current car

• 20-09-2021 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭

I'm currently looking at upgrading out Ford Focus which is about 12 years old. It only has 170,000km on the clock which I guess isn't bad for it's age, but it's probably time for something newer.

I'm not really sure where to go next.

I like the general space of the Focus, and the size of the car, although I would say the newer designs just aren't as nice as the older ones (but that's all preference).

We don't do much long driving, perhaps a 20km round trip most days, with the odd 40km round trip into town once a week. Very rare we go much further than that.

I'm thinking around 35,000 ish as a top level, and not sure whether to go brand new or 2nd hand. Petrol, electric or plug-in hybrid?

An SUV style might be nice for a change but I'm not majorly bothered about being higher up! I quite like the new 1 series and A3s, but maybe I should just stick with the focus...

What do we think about plug in hybrids, are they worth it for such short trips? Major issue with electric seems to be the extra up front cost versus petrol cars at the moment

Comments

Do whatever you want to do, only be fast. All prices goes up, new cars have already half year lead time and so many cars goes to junk yard thanks for careless owners. Soon many people start walking because they can not buy anymore even the broken cars. Very weird times is coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,111 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

🤣🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Keep the focus but start planning a replacement as it may take 6 to 8 months if you go new.

At your mileage I'd defo be looking to go ev if it's viable re charging else petrol. Hybrid only if there is no cost detriment as it's largely virtue signalling and new euro 7 regs won't be kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭DaveByDavid

Thanks! I guess getting that question EV/PHEV/Petrol should have been first port of call.

I guess charging should be okay, we have a drive.

What do you mean by cost detriment? My main issue with electric cars is they're all so ugly at the Focus kind of size. The SUVs are nice but it gets pricey then and I'm not sure I want to drive a big car.

Well based on your mileage your spending 70ish a month? Maybe a little more. Let's say 80. Buying hybrid tech might drop that a tenner a month. Maybe a tiny bit more if you drive like nana. It's not worth paying extra for that at the expense of features or quality or comfort.

Hybrid is the industry stop gap and the eu regulators don't like it. Euro 7 is looking likely to really push hybrid and phev into the same category as ice to ensure fast ev adoption. A lot of manufacturers won't be extending phev or hybrid any further and I'd expect to see it phased out in 3 to 5 years by the big players.

Keep saving get prepared for the inevitable switch if no ev takes your fancy just now.

• Advertisement

So I'm quite glad that I went looking at cars today, even to just sit in, didn't actually test drive but went round a few places.

The 1 series has now been written off for me, it's just too cramped. I think one of the reasons my current Focus feels like it has more room is it's a 3 door, but maybe it's also the design. BUt didn't like the 1 series.

Did sit in a few Kia's - Niro + Sportage. Both very comfy inside which was nice.

So now I'm wondering if an e-Niro might be good value as an electric, albeit not a very exciting purchase. I've also seen that the Ioniq 5 is longer than a Tuscon so I suspect it's quite a nice size inside, rather than the 1 series so want to go try that as well.

Otherwise I might just pick up a 2-3 year old petrol as might get some better value, and possibly get to go for a SUV style in Audi/BMW.

Main thing I want is climate control, bluetooth to my phone for spotify and reverse sensors/cameras.

E Niro is a solid proven ev if a bit dull and small. Ioniq 5 appears to be a class leader, albeit very expensive.

38,000 for a brand new electric doesn't seem too bad right? I know it's the base model but it looks class. Love the design and looks to be quite big space wise.

I'm not really too clued up on these things though and haven't looked into whether the base model would be enough.

You need to really research all the features and take time to read reviews. That's at least 40k delivered plus 1k allow for your box at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,381 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Hyundai are marking up the Ioniq 5 RRP by around €3k based on someone who priced them last month.

they’re also going up post-budget.

• Advertisement

Not ideal...

Maybe I should just go 2nd hand SUV and see how we like it and perhaps upgrade to brand new later on.

Will try and get the Ioniq test driven and then see what I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

If youve got a driveway at home then with your journey pattern - EV is very doable.

Your budget will get you....

VW ID3

Citroen eC4

Peugeot e2008.

All very nice cars.

Someone mentioned eNiro - fine car but will be 2nd hand at your budget wheras the other 3 i mention above will be brand new at 35 k budget.

With ICE cars id be looking at Toyota Hybrids because nice reliability reputation. A CHR or Corolla will do the job or the new Yaris Cross.

Id ignore talk of Euro 7 - yes its coming at some point but theres not even a set date for it yet.

Hey - what's Euro 7?

I actually think I can stretch the budget closer to 45-50k, especially with petrol saving by going electric.

Still not 100% sure whether to go full EV though or just grab one more petrol and then get electric next time. I'm in the mindset that I'll have the car for next 6-8 years like current one, but realistically I could always trade in, in a few years.

I do worry that petrol cars might tank (no pun intended) in price eventually when electricity is the major car sales. But not sure how far away from that we are.

Think I really need to test drive a few electrics and a few SUVs like Tuscon and see what kind of car I like.

Although we don't do much driving a lot of it is down country lanes, or down 100km/h roads, so something nice and comfy would be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

The ID.4 is a five-door, five seat electric SUV and it offers an electric range of starting at 340 kilometres depending on which version you go for, while prices in Ireland start from around €39,000 including grants.

Order now for next year.

Yeah absolutely, another one I should check out.

At this point I might just book a few days off and go around to all the car places local to us and try a bunch.

ID4 was one of the original electric I looked at actually, just really liked the reviews of the Ioniq 5. Really need to just try both.

Random question - how often do you get 0% or close to 0% APR deals? Is there a certain time of year you're likely to get them?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Lantus an earlier poster mentioned Euro 7.

Current emissions rules for diesel/petrol are Euro 6 - the 6 refers to being the 6th generation of EU emissions rules for cars since 1992.

Very little is known about Euro 7 except that there's widespread agreement that they will be VERY strict as Lantus correctly.

My point is that you won't need to worry about it at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Usually used as a marketing tool to boost sales. You won't get it on cars where supply is less than demand as you see with lots of models now.

I've been unpopular here before for this but I stick to my guns on it, 0% finance is used to charge more for a car than people will otherwise pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,250 ✭✭✭✭fits

We got 0% on our Id.3. Very fortunate I think. I can’t see it being offered again while the supply chain is so messed up.

OP definitely try out the VWs. Another Id love to look at is the cupra born which is equivalent to the ID.3.

Go electric now if you’re planning to at some stage. And it’s probably a good time to buy new while grants are still in place.

I have a good idea of what I can afford every month so if I could get a more expensive car for the same monthly payment that seems like a plus, unless I'm missing something?

But I'm working off the basis that 0% APR probably won't be available on any car I want any time soon.

Thanks, will take a look. I'm worried the ID3 will be too small but I'm not going to know until I test drive some more cars.

I'm not necessarily after some big bulky thing, but inside it has to have space and comfort, like I mentioned before, I tried the BMW 1 series and it felt really boxed in, in the front.

Definitely want to go electric if possible but I haven't ruled out getting a 2nd hand (2-3 years old) petrol and going electric in a few years. Depends if the numbers are right really

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

What I meant was you tend to see 0% finance on models that are out a while and aren't selling well anymore or models that there was just never any demand for because its not perceived as a good car or whatever.

Take 2 examples of similar cars, say vw passat and opel insignia, both priced at 35k. Opel was never a great seller in this country anyway so may be offered at 0% because it is a headline grabber and will generate sales. In reality it would only sell at let's say 30k with same finance rate as the passat. Also, a dealer might say we are offering 0% finance so unfortunately can't offer any list price discount.

People love 0% finance but they have picked an inferior car based on 1 factor which appealed to them. It could depreciate like hell and lose out in the end. No demand new, unlikely to have any demand used. Don't put more weight to the 0% than it deserves, weigh up everything else.

The poster above that got 0% on the id3 did extremely well and it will work out well. If you find an in demand car that isn't overpriced and doesn't depreciate like a scalded cat and it's a car that appeals to you, then jump on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,250 ✭✭✭✭fits

The ID.3 is very spacious inside. Deceptively so. Husband is over 6ft and it’s very comfortable and plenty of room behind. The only place where we would like more space is the boot - but it is fine. Definitely give it a test drive. The tour comes with lots of bells and whistles that make long journeys easier too.

If I were in your position the id4, enyaq and ioniq5 are the top 3 choices for a large ev currently. Tow bar adds bike carrying option if you need it but get added new ideally.

You are right to keep longer to make it financially more viable and data suggests reduced servicing and little wear based on existing ev to date.

The eu7 thing is more just to be wary of investing in hybrid or phev. Skoda have recently announced they won't be doing any more and I would imagine others will follow suit as the destination is now firmly ev. Some marks like Mercedes will push it as the owners can afford to run very large petrol engines anyway.

Taking a long term view ev offers a good route but a good petrol car would still be valid if you hold for 8 years after which it has no value and you save up and jump to ev then when the world has migrated.

I would move to get ordered sooner rather than later as this Damm chip issue is going to get worse short term with the aluminium supply issues surfacing combined with the mini battle going on between car manufacturers live of legacy chips and chip manufacturers insistence they upgrade to newer fabs.

Thanks for the info and viewpoint.

Going to try and book in for a test drive of the Ioniq 5 this weekend and I think the dealership also have the envaq so I'll try that, they may even have one in stock.

Know what you mean about ordering now. The dealer said Ioniq 5 would be Jan/Feb/March depending on model.

As for petrol - possibly. I'd just worry that if we wanted to move it on we'd not get a good price and it would depreciate quicker than normal. But I'm not against it as the initial car purchase would be much cheaper and we don't do a huge amount of driving. Plus it would give us more options with SUV style cars.

If you take a long term view I wouldn't worry about petrol. Buy new and keep for 8 years and it will have little value anyway. In that time prices should have fallen significantly all going well on most mass produced simpler ev tech.

Always start with what you want in terms of space and features. Whether that is an ev or petrol is just an option of importance you will need to rank along with all the others. Breakout the spreadsheet and do a lifetime cost analysis of the favoured options.

Good advice.

In some ways I wish I was more of a car enthusiast.

The Focus is pretty much the only car I've ever driven apart from a few hire cars.

Petrol would at least open the options up a bit and either reduce the cost, or let me get more for the money.

I'll still make sure I test drive the Envaq and Ioniq 5 first and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Maximus_1

Did you ever decide on this OP? I have recently test driven the Ioniq 5 and was very impressed but dealer won't have any until well into next year so kinda rules it out as I need to change soon!

Sort of, but also not quite.

We fell in love with the Ioniq 5 as well. But that was the first car we drove.

Problem is we have driven other cars since and now have a bit of a headache.

I'd really like a Mach-E. The quality of the interior was lovely and it just felt premium. Not that the Ioniq 5 is bad. Problem is most dealers only have AWD versions which are pricey.

Did even consider going petrol to get same feel for less money.

But ultimately I think we will settle on na Ioniq 5 once I figure out whether I want a 58kw exec-plus or 73kw premium.

Advertisement