Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Manchester Marathon Oct 2021

• 15-07-2021 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭

Not sure there is a thread for the MCR marathon.

Are there many traveling for it? Whats your travel plans etc?

Has anyone run it before? I see it is a flat course which is nice. Hopefully weather is as nice as Dublin has been the past two years

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

I'm in. Looking forward to it, as like most people, it'll be 2 years since my last marathon. Lots of training has gone on since, in the hope of getting another crack at a big race day.

Course looks decent. Have been in Manchester countless times for matches but never really took any notice of route elevations around the city :)

Hotel that I originally booked, The Copthorne, has been taken over by the NHS, and the alternative hotel that was offered was closer to Bolton than the city centre. Booked into the AC Marriott in Salford Quays which is perfect for the start and easily accessible from the city.

Flying over Sat morning and back again Monday evening. Early flight is a bit of a pain but I'll be horizontal as much as I can throughout the day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

nice one! it will be my third marathon, did dublin in 2018 and 2019

was looking forward to 2020 but cancelled and again this year so figured MCR would be a good bet. also been over for quite a few united games but never for something like this. looking forward to it!

flying sat afternoon and back monday sometime too, Hilton Manchester Piccadilly for me.. its only a few km from the starting line i believe. prob a bit more of a pain to get to than salford one but what can ya do!

have been training fairly solid since around jan and starting to ramp up the weekly distance now. hope to smash dcm 2019 PB but just a shame it wont happen in dublin.

I see the marathon isn't starting until 10:30am due to the HM being on the same day and kicking off first at 8:30am.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Kander

I booked the stupidly early flight for the way over to Manchester so the extra sleep is welcomed on race day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Tram from Piccadilly towards Altringham will leave you 100 yards from Old Trafford cricket ground where the bag drop is.

• Advertisement

Has anyone received the email with their start time yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Unknownability

No, I haven't got mine yet, the original email did say it'd be issued yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭6run28

No email received either. The event guide had pick up details included:

PICK UP International and Lost Packs WHERE: Manchester Central Convention Complex M2 3GX. WHEN: Saturday 9th October 10:00am - 5:00pm. Please bring photo ID with you in order to pick up your event pack.

A lot of people giving out on Twitter that they are starting as late as 1 pm. It's annoying when initially it was starting at 9am, I've changed the flight home to the later one to give me more wiggle room.

"Hi Jonathan, thanks for getting in touch and we apologise you didn’t receive your email. I can confirm your start access time is 9:35-9:45 and you are in the white wave"

If I'm presuming that the white wave is the first wave off @10:30am that's gonna be quite a bit of hanging around....but whatever! I'll go along gladly with whatever they have in place as long I get to race 😁

• Advertisement

I tweeted them and got the answer I'm in Red Wave A 10:50 - 11:00.

Next question is what pacers are going with what waves!

I presume the HM is the real moneyspinner for them and is the reason they're shoe-horning it in first. But it's a bit of a disaster for runners in the 4hrs+ category who'll be finishing around 5 or 6pm. No craic there at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

That's Manchester Marathon and my mother when she's giving out to me who call me that now 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Just got my reply I'm in Red A - arrival time of 9:50 - 10:00 with hopefully a start time of 10:50😊

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Kander

I reached out to them on twitter for my starting time also. White wave with access from 09:35 to 09;45.

"Once you have arrived we will then call everyone in your wave to the start line where we estimate you will be starting about 25 minutes after you arrive"

I never got an email from them either

I only land in MCR at 3pm on Saturday and I see that the expo closes at 5pm for picking up race pack... i hope there are no delays!!!

does anyone know the address to pick up the race pack for international entrants?

it says TBC on the website and i still didnt get my start time etc.

thanks

PICK UP International and Lost Packs WHERE: Manchester Central Convention Complex M2 3GX. WHEN: Saturday 9th October 10:00am - 5:00pm. Please bring photo ID with you in order to pick up your event pack.

thanks, sorry just realised you posted this above. i missed it!

• Advertisement

No problem at all! I had to email them to get my start time - in Red Wave A which is not bad start time considering.

just got an email response . mine didnt specify which wave but said i am in red too which is handy

fingers crossed no delays getting from MCR to convention centre before 5pm

"Arrival time: 10:15am

Start time: 11:05am"

Anyone starting to get excited about this?

The nerves are starting to kick in, mainly around how the training has gone. Thankfully I've come through the training block unscathed, other than a nasty blister/cut on my heal but this has healed. My hamstring / tendonitis which affected my first marathon has held up well and I'm hoping it doesn't make an appearance during the actual race.

I'm flying out Saturday afternoon and then going straight to pick up my race number, so hoping for no delays or we could be in trouble.

The later start time is a help as it will allow more time in the morning to get everything prepared, the hotel is 5k from the start line.

We are flying back Sunday evening, all going well we should have time for a bite to eat and a few pints before heading off to the airport.

starting to get a bit excited, had some shin splits when training was meant to peak so missed 2-3 weeks and had to build back up quickly

did my 32k run on sunday just gone and now two weeks "taper", ankle issue at the moment but getting better so going to do some work on indoor bike and treadmill this week

i am on ryanair flight that lands at 3pm on sat and need to get to pick up the race pack before 5pm so am in the same boat, taxi from airport is 20min according to maps so it should be fine. i also mailed the mcr crowd and they said it should be fine if delayed so am not stressing about that!

hopefully the weather is in our favour and the training pays off. am quite nervous given the injuries ive been dealing with but just going to go for it and leave nothing behind! not flying back till monday night myself, relax in hotel after race and get some nice food and beers i think!!

Final route with water & gels stations now released.

The start of the end for me just about to do my final 10 mile run @ marathon pace 😮

We are on the same flight as you and will be doing the same dash to collect our numbers.

Long range forecast doesn't seem favourable but nothing that can be done about that.

"We will be asking all participants in attendance to take a Lateral Flow Test in the 48 hours before the event. You can order yours for free here."

Just got the above from the organisers, first I've heard of that.

How will we get them coming from Ireland?

Very lax, I'm not filled with confidence that they'll have enough Marshall or volunteers as every email is calling out for more.

i am going to get a seat somewhere near the front of the plane on the way over to try and get off quickly after we land. might see u on the flight!

regarding this lateral flow test - i just sent a msg to the marathon insta page asking about this. i checked NHS site and u need to be uk resident to get the test and to enter your results (i went through all the forms to submit results as if i had taken one and they ask if you live in eng, sco, wal or NI only. presume we wont need to take this test

this is the msg i sent on insta

'Hi there, I am international athlete living in Ireland. I got your mail today about ordering a lateral flow test from NHS and also entering result on website. This is only available to UK residents of which I am not one. I have full vaccination cert and can take a lateral flow test on my own accord 24 hours before the event. I will not be able to upload results to NHS. please let me know if this is sufficient. thank you.'

i will let u know once they respond. the last time it took a couple of days to hear back

This is their response:

Good morning. No problem at all. Is not mandatory to do a test, we recommend it to not put anyone in risk. But it does not need to be for the NHS. However, in the UK you can acquire those flow lateral test for free at some pharmacies. Hope this helps :)

• Advertisement

Hello Johnny, Lateral flow tests are free in the UK. You can go to chemistry and ask for one of the packs. Another way is to order a pack from the UK government page and get delivery to you. Eg:https://nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/testing/regular-rapid-coronavirus-tests-if-you-do-not-have-symptoms/… or https://gov.uk/order-coronavirus-rapid-lateral-flow-tests…

9:12 AM

Also, if you are international, you can use any other type of test. They are not mandatory, but we recommend taking one prior to the event to not put others at risk! :)

9:53 AM

Yeah got this response too. That's grand so 🙂

Advertisement