Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Random Wrestling Thoughts (Part 2)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,102 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

It was obviously Roman.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭ThePott

It was? How so?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,716 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

WWE back touring the UK tomorrow night. Smackdown brand

Sun 19th Sep- Newcastle

Sun 20th Sep- London

Tues 21st Sep- Cardiff

Weds 22nd Sep- Glasgow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

It started yesterday but this must be the year with the least buzz around the G1 ever, at least in the modern era anyway.

Not really surprising, NJPW has not been very good for a while now outside of a few stand outs like Shingo, who might just be the wrestler of the year. His match with Ishii was great but booking Ibushi to lose to fcuking Yujiro Takahashi fairly sums up where New Japan is at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

Thunder Rosa is the best wrestler in the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

I watch a few of the vlogs some wrestlers put out like Sammy's, Danhausen's etc. and one thing I can't fathom are the fans gifting them expensive items all the time. It just seems weird to send expensive figures etc. to people who are most likely earning more than you. Similarly you see some fans pay to meet them at nearly every signing they do, it's very weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

I've always thought the same about Twitch streamers/other online personalities that are earning ferry loads of money and still they'll get ridiculous donations and expensive stuff sent to their PO Box.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

You're right. But these people have more money than sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭Pentecost

The Amazon wishlist thing has always been a bit strange. It's hard to avoid thinking these wrestlers are exploiting the fans to some extent.

The good looking women (and men too to some extent I guess) especially know that there will always be lonely (or worse) people out there who will spend money on them in the deluded hope of being noticed by them in some way.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,274 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Fools and their money are easily parted the carny wrestlers will always shill and hustle.

• Advertisement

A random though that Pro Wrestling Tees have been a big winner in the rise of AEW over the last two years.

The worst is the WWE cameos. €328 for a video message from Finn Balor.

29 left for anyone with 300 quid to burn.

Would ya be well...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,786 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So you're saying you're not 1 of the 2 that are gone?

No, I'm saving up for Alexa.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,123 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

It's a new weird era of fandom where celebrities are happy to give the idea that you're closer to them than ever before in exchange for cash and gifts. It's a dangerous game and inviting trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭TimesArrow

Watched a few episodes of Young Rock. Really not sure what to make of it. It’s a sit com but basically isn’t funny at all and even as a hardcore wrestling fan, I appreciate all the references but overall it’s fairly dull. It’s even more of a vanity project and self indulgent than I was expecting and seeing Rock appear in every Episode is kind of distracting and makes him appear (in my view) somewhat arrogant as he prepares for a presidential campaign which may well happen in real life in the future. Love The Rock but there’s something grating about Dwayne Johnson

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

The word "stans" to describe the fans of the other side (WWE or AEW at the moment) drives me demented. It's all over every flippin tweet regarding wrestling at the moment. Twitter is such a toxic hellhole that should be nuked from orbit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭Pentecost

Typical Facebook stan.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,123 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I find it hard to warm to Dwayne as he just seems to be the ultimate PR machine.

What plans has Vince for Scarlett.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I like The Rock but he is sooooooo arrogant. You can see through that big fake smile he has.

I love Rock, to be honest. He was the coolest man alive when I was a kid and I still think he's great, even with the kinda false Hollywood veneer.

I suppose you could say I'm a Rock stan.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,716 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Honestly if we as a society could drop kick the use of that word as a whole out of existence. That would be marvellous.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,416 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

i can only thank this post once but i couldn’t agree more. This and a few more words need to be kicked to touch.

Along with that word, Twitter in general and every one of these other modern day terms like "woke".

Can we keep the Stan song though? 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 39,416 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Ah well keeping the song goes without saying @CastorTroy. I mean I’d like to think we are a reasonable bunch when it’s all said and done.

It may have taken 5 years but Corbin is finally kinda entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Twitter is useful if you just follow what you like/are interested in. Also, and not to turn this into something serious, but woke isn't THAT BAD a word, it's just been weaponized - I mean, is being aware of the world being **** a bad thing?

Also yes, the Eminem song stays.

• Advertisement

Not saying it's a bad word but it, along with other words are now overused in both right and wrong ways. I'm sure "Don't be a d!ck" is a general message to use instead of using multiple other words.

Anyway, yeah Corbin is entertaining. Wonder if Grimes was a trial run for that gimmick.

Advertisement