Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are some of your unpopular cycling related opinions?

• 20-09-2021 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭

Have we done one of these threads yet? Anyone want to go first.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,095 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Sock length doesn't matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

I hate being called a cyclist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭Plastik

I don't like Alaphilippe.

And I don't know why, probably because of Rob Hatch.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭cletus

This is one of mine. Closely followed by you don't have to shave your legs.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,261 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Outside of time trials, equipment makes shag all difference. You'll get the same result on bog standard aluminium frame with allow wheels and 105 as you will on a €10,000 superbike.

Also, disc brakes and tan sidewalls need to be killed with fire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Disc brakes are overkill on a road bike. Purely a money spinner with no benefit to road cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MediaMan

It's not all about how fast you can get up a hill

Tubeless for road is good

• Registered Users Posts: 21,601 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

A couple hundred quid for a bike fit is worth a lot more than a new set of carbon wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i love disc brakes ,actually I love hydraulic brakes in general but not wearing out rims is a massive bonus.

i cant see the point of tubeless (having just taken one off an mtb and it must have had half a kg of water in it)

I was curious tubeless on a road tyre, if you have to plug it is there not a risk it will get pushed out due to the higher pressures they are run at? Like cars and mtbs would only be around 30 psi or so but road tyres would be multiples of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,405 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Carrying two bike locks is not worth the hassle. Just insure the bike instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Taking it handy is more enjoyable and fun than going fasshhhhtttt!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,800 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Triathletes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,405 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Can I add

Its better to invest in comfort than speed.....

(Why does it matter if you are going at 34k per hour or 37k per hour).

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭comete

Most people don’t need a power meter

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Running is harder than cycling.

That's just a fact and and not just the effort, my knees and Achilles tendons will attest to that. Some injuries and frankly stupidity in not looking after myself mean I couldn't run to warm myself these days. You need to rest on a bike? Stop peddling and you'll still move most of the time.

Can't recall where I read this and maybe I'm not actually recalling it correctly, something along the lines of you need to cover 3 times the distance of a run on the bike to get close to the same effort?

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭DonegalBay

Said this during the Tour and got plenty of flak for it so definitely belongs here.

Sprinters are grossly over-rated and get a disproportionate number of chances to win races, overinflating their real abilities.

Sprint stages in Grand Tours are boring and worthless and if I was running the UCI, they would be eliminated or kept to a minimum, maybe 1/2 per Grand Tour, 1 in the first week and the final stage perhaps. Would also probably help cut down on crashes as well.

Wheelsucking your way to the final 500m is not particularly amazing or noteworthy, considering everyone in a given race can pretty much do that. I do have respect for the likes of Sagan, Boonen, Zabel or sprinters pre-Cipollini era who didn't have dedicated sprint trains and could actually race a bit, but Cipollini, Cavendish etc, uhhh awful. Still irks me that such limited pros were World Champion, especially when it was 95% down to their respective teams.

Have barely watched a sprint stage since the mid 90s. Sprinters, go and race against the real sprinters on the track.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

'They all think they're in the Tour de France'

• Registered Users Posts: 21,489 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Hmmm. I would possibly argue that the GT contenders have a 'non-skill based' advantage merely because of their physique meaning achieving winning levels of power to weight ratings are possible for them while they aren't for most. Some of the more skillful riders could never realistically target GT's for this reason.

So maybe my unpopular opinion would be that a strong palmares including classics victories is more deserving of respect than a couple of GT podiums. The length of the GT's obviously play a significant part rather than any individual stage but who is a more skillful or impressive rider? Peter Sagan or Chris Froome?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

In the moment sure, but it would be rare for me to go for a 7 hour run :)

I think a decent climb is harder than run. Flat cycling is very much easier than running. I found the Etape far harder than the marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Taking it handy on descents is actually fine.

Your bike can be worth less than your car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭gn3dr

Dropped seat stays on new bikes are sh1t looking and the myth that they are for comfort is also bs. Just buy a TCR or other sloping top tubed frame to have a bit of seat post flex.

Also disc brakes on road bikes are just marketing and not needed. How much descending for long periods in wet weather are people actually doing....

Oh yeah - long socks are for footballers 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

Tho Everytime I brake on my carbon rims I wish I'd discs

I also think random wheel sucking strangers when I'm out on a solo ride are just weird, at least say hello first...

For all you disc haters even Ineos are moving to disc braked Pinarello bikes next year. Nothing to with Shimano's latest offerings of course 😁

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,998 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Expensive bike fits are a waste of time for most people unless you're strangely proportioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭ARX

I found the simple life ain't so simple when I jumped out on that road.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Disc Brakes are the biggest divide of opinion amongst the cycling community, so hardly an "unpopular" opinion to diss them!

Running takes more of a toll on the body, but does that make it harder? Aerobically running isn't harder. I haven't really run regularly in a couple of years, but I can still knock out a decent 10km time based on my cycling fitness. When I was doing triathlon, I knocked out my 10km PR in a race having not ran for 2 months due to ITB, and only done the bike! When I focused on running for periods, fitness never carried from running to the bike as well.

I guess mine is that I actually like the Turbo, and it's not just for wet and/ or dark days when you can't get out. If you have the right set up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭ARX

Advertisement