Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a house in the Midlands

• 18-09-2021 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to buy a house in the midlands - a 3 bed semi detached.

Looking at prices, Mullingar seems to be a good bit cheaper than Athlone or Tullamore. There seems to be more houses available in Mullingar.

Anyone know why Mullingar is cheaper?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭SupaCat95

Just gone sale agreed in Mullingar. Its got great commuter routes to Maynooth/Leixlip/Dublin. I liked Liam at LMC auctioneers, unfortunately we didnt get to deal with him. The others in the town, less so. Two in particular come across as Ross O Carroll Kelly less competent country cousins. Avoid these 2 dopes like the plague.

Watch for pressure tactics:

"The owner is going to an auction this weekend, they want to know what is available to them, so they want this wrapped up fast". This is to panic you to find out your available funds and then squeeze you for more money.

"I have a higher bid from a doctor in the hospital for 2k more". That is great, but what is a doctor doing buying a house they are all on short contracts, so most dont know where they will be in a few years hence they rent. More mind games to bully you to bid higher against a phantom bidder.

I know there are loads of these slick willy tactics out there.

Another things is the Surveyors list. You will be offered this once you go sale agreed, get your own from your own social circle recommendation (GAA club, University Alumni, etc etc etc). Only "good boys" get on this list, so you are guaranteed a favourable report.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Alquaa

We bought in Mullingar 2 years ago and couldn’t be happier with our decision. (Both blow in’s). No shortage of amenities in the town and absolutely no regrets. Do your research with estates like all towns there is a reason some estates are cheaper than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,149 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

None of the above explain why houses in Mullingar appear to be cheaper than Houses in Athlone or Tullamore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭ec18

it's a smaller town, less desirable, less transport to dublin. It used to have a reputation for being a bit rough years ago but not sure anymre

Mullingar has virtually the same population as Athlone and has a much bigger population than Tullamore. It is nearer to Dublin than Athlone and about the same distance as Tullamore. The mainline rail from Mullingar goes to Connolly station as opposed to Heuston station from Athlone and Tullamore. Connolly is much closer to the central Dublin business districts. As for roughness, Athlone is a match for Mullingar any day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭ec18

why ask for peoples opinions if you know everything?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Patsy167

When you do decide on a location - Rent for at least 6 months before buying. Living in smaller towns in Ireland can be a massive culture shock if you are used to city living, especially in Winter. I've seen too many people move their entire lives to the country only to realise after a year that its not for them

I didn't ask for anyone's opinion, nor do I know everything.

Advertisement