Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart meter opt out

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭farmerval

We also have a stressed Electricity infrastructure. The biggest gain from smart meters and potentially smart rates is to help maximise the efficiency of the grid. After several years of a new construction boom including large industrial expansion, including high usage data centres, our grid is stretched to the limit. Utilising smart meters and smart tariffs is simply a way of moving usage from high usage times to low usage times to balance the grid output.

If we have wind power generating power at the lowest time of use, say middle of the night, it may go to waste. The next big challenge is to store excess power. I believe that is one of the big factors driving the big push toward electric cars. Having them charging overnight on timed night time tariffs will use power available that may not otherwise be used.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

So the main advantage is to the supplier who can't meet demand and the government that didn't plan and prepare for economic growth. 'Simply a way of moving usage from high usage times to low usage times to balance the grid' can also be read as forcing people to make even more changes to avoid additional charges. I know and appreciate what you are saying and understand the imperative to save energy, but this is a way of charging the consumer more to use less, by offering very marginal scope for savings. I stand by what I said earlier, in lots of aspects we have a dysfunctional market and therefore the usual beneficial factors for the consumer, are not applicable, or available.

Why are we not running our night-time household low level lighting on separate battery charged circuits in our houses using wind or solar, why are our very limited retrofit energy schemes so complicated and expensive to avail of, why is the only answer always to charge the consumer more so they are forced to use less while the data centres and other multinational offshoots continue to guzzle our capacity to supply? Why when we knew and accepted that the peat and oil burning generators would have to be phased out, did we not plan better? Why despite grants given to suppliers to develop alternative energy options, is the consumer still continually hit with increased rate charges, supplier standing service charges, carbon taxes etc.?

It's bad planning with the consumer at the end of the chain as a failsafe scapegoat and dressing up the mess as a smart meter advantage, is not going to go down well. We are in for an expensive ride in the future, because increasing costs for the consumer is the main tactic to be used for decreasing demand - without obviously hurting our vital economic sector of high energy consuming multinationals.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,273 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Thanks, are you an Electric Ireland customer?

AFAIK, this breakdown isn't available, and isn't even collected according to their DPIA, for other customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,447 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

it looks like this on the portal, it has data from yesterday as well (this was a Monday), and yes, Electric Ireland:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,273 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Thanks, technically, if you're not on a smart tariff, they shouldn't be picking up interval data from your smart meter, according to the ESB Networks DPIA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭MickH503

yes, in the details section it can all be downloaded in CSV format (up to 2 years apparantly).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

You can't avail of many of the cheaper tariffs currently available on a day/night meter, if you have a smart meter. They are simply not available to you.

That's what EV owners have realised. You can keep denying that but it doesn't change the facts.

At present, some of the cheaper tariffs available to those with a day/night meter, are not available to those with a smart meter. EV owners tend to be heavy users of electricity. Most are price savvy, research the best deals & switch providers yearly. They're big into tech, solar & gadgets, so they'd be all over smart meters. By their very nature, they are the antithesis of those "afraid of change".

I'm sure providers will update their tariffs but for now, smart meters can & do work out being more expensive for many consumers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

why do people post such utter sh1te.

We have a first class education system and still you can this type of stupidity

Your tariff only changes if you change plans after the meter has been changed, if you do nothing, everything continues as it did before with no changes, if they didn't tell you they were changing the meter then you'd never know the difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 longcock

If you don't think that this can happen, I feel so sorry for you and your blind vision.... I'll say a prayer for you.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I am an EV owner, i have the new smart meter, I have not signed up to any of the new plans available to the smart meter owners. I'm still on the single rate I was on before. However the older Night rate meter has a better rate than the new smart meter offers.

They appear attractive, with some having a very low boost rate, but they have significantly higher day rates and a peak rate too.

They want to shift you to not using power in the evenings, and use everything in the early morning 2 to 4 am. It's not always practical

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭iarann

What portal are you using to get access to that date? I'm with Bord Gaís & cant see it on their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭BobMc

mine installed yesterday, missus was at home (WFH) and just arrived, Not appointment,

anyone offering Real Time in home monitoring or an app or likewise for households to monitor in real time ???

• Registered Users Posts: 23,228 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Electric Ireland do, gets update a midnight every night.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭mjatkey

Hi, so Electric Ireland are supplying the in house monitoring device? Or its it just an app?

Does anyone know if you can buy your own and "pair" it with your smart meter, only we have just had smart meter fitted to a new apartment but Bord Gais don't seem to have a clue when I asked them where the in Home display was and told me to contact ESB who again where clueless?

Thanks

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

This was my gut instinct too, but you are incorrect. I rang my provider (Energia). Very reluctantly they admitted that the smart meter rates are higher than the old day / night meters.

So if I had an EV I would want an old day / night meter as it is the most cost effective

• Registered Users Posts: 45,243 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Yes, they are higher. Plus you can't get a day night smart meter.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,801 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

No change on Bord Gais.

They can't change your tariff without notifying you in advance.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Graceland

If I want to opt out of getting a smart meter, will there be a charge added to my bill every month? Someone said there could be but I don't know how true this is. If it is true, then I don't think it is fair, especially as it isn't compulsory to have a meter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,801 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

No. 99% of what you hear about smart meters is bolloxology and pub talk

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Meeoow

I opted out. I just rang them and they didn't even ask why. No problems.

Thanks. Besides ringing them, did they tell you to send an email as well - just so that you can have written confirmation that you have opted out.

No. I rang electric Ireland or esb networks, I can't remember which. Gave my details and that was it. No hassle. But I am in an old house, where the meter is inside, so they cannot access it.

That's the main reason I opted out. I have tinnitus, and some people complained that there is a buzzing noise off the new meter. I have enough buzzing on my head already.

Thanks for that. I'm just not comfortable enough to take a smart meter at the moment. I appreciate you taking the time to answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,243 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

That's false. Just refuse the meter. It's not compulsory.

Everyone will probably eventually have one, but the rollout is until 2025. Tariffs are a joke, plus day/night meters don't exist with smart meters. Also, their peak tarriffs 🙄

It'd be great if someone here who is opting for a smart meter did a test to compare their current meter against a smart meter. Check before and after readings on both meters when running a wash or something. I am also reading stuff about them being inaccurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,613 ✭✭✭✭josip

Does anyone have any examples of the difference in rates between the old day/night meters and smart meter offerings?

Those who are saying that the rates were better for the old night meter; are you taking into account the overall increase in electricity costs in the interim?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 SlitDrip

Heres one that isnt pub talk.

You cant get the energia EV rate if you have a smart meter.

Very foolish to get one if you have the option not to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Looking at changing providewr at the moment.

Looks like all of the smart tariffs are far more expensive than the normal day/night tariffs. How hard wouldf it be for them to give you the same day/night tariff on a smart meter?

But they wont do it.

You would want to be seriously thick to want a smart meter with the tariffs available.

Advertisement