Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hybrid or Diesel

Options
  • 20-09-2021 9:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I'm looking for your opinions as hybrid drivers, I recently changed jobs and now I have to drive about 50km a day, my budget isn't huge but I'm seeing a few Prius and Insights for sale, would they be ok for mpg wise for 15-20 minute motorway journeys i.e Tallaght to Dunboyne and vice versa in the evening, or would you guys recommend a Diesel instead?

Post edited by liamog on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭micks_address

That's not a huge commute and depending on your time of day you might be in a lot of stop/start traffic. You may find diesel doesn't save you a lot in terms of fuel and you might end up with issues of the car not getting run hot enough and dpfs clogging etc.. do you intend to use it for long journeys outside of work?

hybrids should be fine but you probably wouldn't save a lot over a decently spec'd petrol car but they would probably be hard to find depending on your budget/year... the nice thing about a hybrid is you'll have an auto which is a gift in heavy stop/start traffic and just very relaxed driving

• Registered Users Posts: 6,263 ✭✭✭alias no.9

If you're doing Tallaght - Dunboyne in 15 - 20 minutes, then traffic is fairly free flowing at your commuting times and there's little benefit to the hybrid as you're carrying extra weight and its doing nothing for much of the journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

The Toyota ones are nice mature technology.

Better reliability record then any modern diesel.

The question of whether its worth changing the current car is a trickier one as a number of factors involved.

1) did OP want a new car anyway regardless of commute change.

2) situation with current car - is it still usable, does OP still like it.

3) budget

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

The car I have is reliable right now, but its using about 10 litres of petrol per 100km so about 23 mpg? my budget is only 5k so will only get 2009-2011 cars I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭kaahooters

like for like there about the same weight.

1st, if you current car works, keep it.

if you want to change, get the hybrid, taxies are all movig to hybrid,if you want a reliable car, look at what taxis buy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,263 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Definitely correct on the reliability but the hybrid system isn't bringing anything to the game in terms of efficiency on that commute.

A petrol is probably best suited for the given budget and brief unless the OP could live with the limited range of an early Leaf.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Mod Note: Moved to buying or selling forum

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

10l per 100km isn't great but even if you get a car that delivers a realistic 8l at the age your looking for the savings are pretty lean once you factor in the 5k you spent to achieve a 20pc reduction in annual fuel costs.

Better to save for a newer car and hold on to what you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

10 litres per 100kms is 28mpg. Not great, but I see that in my diesel if I get stuck in traffic. Goes up over 40 on a long run. Tallaght to Dunboyne without traffic I'd easily get 40mpg. Stop start all the way I'd be 28 or less.

So depends on what kind of driving is getting you the 28mpg as to whether it's good or not. To be honest a diesel or a hybrid is going to cost similar enough to run. Instead of focusing on fuel type I'd get a car you like and that suits your needs and one that is in good condition and well looked after hopefully keeping down your maintenance bills. If it's a 50/50 call, go hybrid.

I leave early in the morning, latest I would leave is 7.20 and the traffic flows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

I'll agree with this. Spending 5k to save a few quid on fuel is a fools errand. Can make sense in your head but doesn't really. However, if you do fancy a change, then go for it. However, 2009 to 2011 5k cars is probably not where people look for fancying new cars. What car do you drive at the moment? Must be a big enough car if it's only getting you the mpg you stated

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭kaahooters

if you get a prius or insight youll get 50mpg outta either handly.

2008 Ford Focus 1.6, not sure why its so bad on fuel.

Advertisement