Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭mike_cork

English subtitles and I think English dubbing......I thought subtitles would bother me but in the last 12 months I've really started watching alot of tv from other countries and subtitles don't bother me at all anymore. Watch the first episode of trapped and you will be hooked. Great ending

• Registered Users Posts: 6,348 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Trapped is great, Season 2 equally as good imo.

Presume the lot will arrive on Netflix at some stage given they've actually commissioned the now forthcoming third season.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭brevity

It is good. Very tense.

If you liked Good Time you might like this.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

For anyone wondering about Unforgotten I've just noticed that all 4 series are on the RTÉ player.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

He-Man and the Masters of the Universe: Season 1 – Mighty teen Adam and his heroic squad of misfits discover the legendary power of Grayskull -- and their destiny to defend Eternia from sinister Skeletor

Final Space Season 3 - After meeting an adorable alien with planet-destroying capabilities, a human prisoner in space goes on an interstellar adventure to save the universe.

My Heroes Were Cowboys - Robin Wiltshire's painful childhood was rescued by Westerns. Now he lives on the frontier of his dreams, training the horses he loves for the big screen.

The Smart Money Woman Season 1- Five glamorous millennials strive for success as they juggle careers, finances, love and friendships. Based on Arese Ugwu's 2016 best-selling novel

Along Came a Spider - Detective and psychologist Alex Cross teams with a disgraced Secret Service agent to find a senator's daughter abducted from an exclusive prep school.

Added

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I got a Lookahead email from Netflix that included a trailer for a Korean series coming soon called The Squid Game, which could be good - seems like it might have a similar feel to Alice In Borderland.

My main question is whether it was filmed in English or dubbed. Hopefully if dubbed they'll have an original-audio-and-subtitles option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

There's a German/Austrian 'remake' of The Bridge called Der Pass/Pagan Crossing, on Netflix; watched the first 2 episodes. Pretty good so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

The Schumacher documentary is a great watch , especially if you were following FI in the last 90's , early 2000's like myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

It's out tomorrow so will soon find out, but very likely filmed Korean with English subs.

I see they added another He-Man series. Strange having the 2 animated MotU series close to each other like this

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

It'll be up to you - available both subbed and dubbed. When I saw the trailer, it was subbed.

• Advertisement

Must be the 4th country remaking that. Soon the Paddies will do one set on O'Connell Bridge. Will start off with a junkie refusing a sandwich and wanting cash instead.

The Stronghold – Tired of the small-time grind, three Marseille cops get a chance to bust a major drug network. But lines blur when a key informant makes a big ask.

Sex Education: Season 3 – With a new headmistress, new uniform and a new attitude – it’s time for change at Moordale Secondary.

Chicago Party Aunt: Part 1 – This half-hour series based on the Twitter account of the same name is exec-produced by Will Gluck and includes vocals from Chris Witaske, RuPaul Charles and more.

Squid Game Season 1 (Korean) - Hundreds of cash-strapped players accept a strange invitation to compete in children's games. Inside, a tempting prize awaits -- with deadly high stakes

The Father Who Moves Mountains (Romanian) - When his son goes missing during a snowy hike in the mountains, a retired intelligence officer will stop at nothing -- and risk everything -- to find him.

Black and Blue - When a rookie cop inadvertently captures corrupt officers committing a murder on tape, loyalties are tested when she's hunted for the footage..

Spandex Sapiens (Finnish) - In this documentary, conservative pro wrestler Michael Majalahti goes up against Jessica Love, a young and liberal trans woman in his wrestling company

Sharks: Monster Of The Media -Feared as killers, sharks are the ocean's most misunderstood creatures. This documentary tells their true story -- and examines the dangers they face

Gemini Man (Will Smith) - A recently-retired sniper faces off with a younger, stronger, cloned version of himself that a covert government agency has engineered to kill him.

Solar System: The Secrets Of The Universe - Take a stellar journey into space and learn about how Earth's neighboring planets and their moons all come together to form our solar system

Bezness as Usual (Dutch) - This documentary chronicles filmmaker Alex Pitstra's journey to discover the roots of his absent, casanova father and his own multicultural identity.

The Feminine Genius - This documentary explores the role women play in the church, 30 years after John Paul II was the first pope to write a text addressed to women....

City Of The Sun - This impressionistic documentary builds a vivid portrait of life in Chiatura, a semi-abandoned mining town in western Georgia.

Justin Bieber: This is my World (2013) - This engaging profile looks at the talent and influence of teen idol Justin Bieber, from his meteoric ascent to his phenomenal worldwide success

Keeping Up with the Kardashians Season 2

Alganesh (Italian) - This emotional doc explores Dr. Alganesh Fessah's mission to breed hope and bright futures for young lives displaced by the Ethiopian-Eritrean Conflict.

To Bolu (Italian) - Through a combination of dialogue and tenor singing, this documentary tells the story of pastoralism, a cultural tradition at the heart of Sardinia's identity.

Added

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

• Registered Users Posts: 31,825 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Totally agree both excellent.

"Case" is also decent...but doesn't seem to be available anywhere currently.

For fans of scandi drama/crime shows bbc4 have one at the minute called "the hunt for a killer" it might be too slow for some but I think it is genuinely brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭hold my beer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭dublin49

just finished Clickbait and I would say its worth a watch.Reasonably well thought out and a good story line ,kept us watching until the end .

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭mike_cork

The Scandinavian tv I find is really engrossing....Plus the bleak landscape and the music scores are usually incredibly beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

White lotus is a bloody brilliant series!! A modern Basil Faulty masterpiece and highly recommended

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

That's my mistake; I said it was Netflix, but it is on Sky. Apologies Tim76.

Papillon (2017) Framed and condemned to a penal colony in French Guiana, a safecracker bonds with a counterfeiter and fellow prisoner in a dangerous quest for freedom..

Added

• Advertisement

The Accident Season 1 -A tight-knit Welsh community begins to fall apart at the seams when an explosion at a construction site instantly kills a group of teenagers.

National Treasure Season 1 - When a celebrated comedian faces accusations of sexual assault in the twilight of his career, the fallout affects everyone involved in different ways.

The Farewell - Lulu Wang’s beautifully observed family drama is a hilarious, heartfelt tale of honesty and family identity. A Chinese American woman learns that her grandmother is dying but is forced to keep it a secret during an impromptu wedding organized in China.

Django Unchained - Accompanied by a German bounty hunter, a freed slave named Django travels across America to free his wife from a sadistic plantation owner.

Added

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

^ The Accident has a great cast but it was a hugely disappointing watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Rfrip

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

Started 'Hit & Run' ... with same lead character from Fauda leading the cast. Again seems set in Israel. Just finished first episode and looks good so far.

Havent seen it mentioned here in the thread so far..

Love on the Spectrum Season 2 - Finding love can be hard for anyone. For young adults on the autism spectrum, exploring the unpredictable world of dating is even more complicated..

added

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭QuietMan2010

Disturbing and compelling, in equal parts. I feel guilty for enjoying it. Its very violent!

(As others have said, original-audio-and-subtitles is available, that's how I'm watching it).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yikes; that reads like something that could swing towards either a sympathetic portrayal or something very exploitional, and voyeuristic.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

It just got cancelled and apparently ends on a cliffhanger. It may affect your interest..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,143 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Did National Treasure go to a second season? Always thought it looked worth a watch but my biggest pet peeve with television at the moment is shows that could have been brilliant at 6 to 10 episode run getting extended into meandering multi-season bores.

Advertisement