Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Grass Routes Gran Fondo

Options
  • 15-07-2021 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭

Just stumbled across this fairly new event and thinking of giving it a go - the Grass Routes Gran Fondo - which takes place in and around Tipperary in September - with plenty of boreens and gravely bits thrown in for good measure. I normally partake in more traditional road sportives, but want to try something else without going completely off road.

Has anyone taken part in previous editions, and if so, what did you think of it?

More info:

Seems its free to enter too, although pre-registration is recommended.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Liam10000

Hi @AxleAddict, Great to hear you are going to give the Grass Routes Gran Fondo a go! Can't quite answer your question as I'm one of the organizers but if you need any info or anything give us an email. Hope you enjoy the day :D

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭AxleAddict

Looking forward to it. Sportives of any type have been slim pickings over the last two seasons (for obvious reasons) so it's great that a couple are still going ahead (fingers crossed) over the next month or two. Inishowen 100 in Donegal tomorrow for me, the Reservoir Dog in Wicklow in early September and then the Grass Routes a few weeks later. I hope you've spoken with the relevant authorities and booked the good weather for September 19th 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

I signed up and will head up to it.

A group of lads I ride back roads with did it last year and loved it, looking forward to it.

You would hope that attending would inspire lads to discover lanes and back roads in their own locality.

I have a lot of roads covered in South Tipp but this route in West Tipp will be nearly all new.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,304 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Just stumbled across this thread, and now I have signed up!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

I did the first 2/3 of this route as a day cycle last summer, the lads' stencils were on the ground in prep for one of the events that covid cancelled - absolutely beautiful route, one of the nicest I've done in Ireland, massive kudos to those who put the effort in to put this together!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Was booked and didn't manage to make it last year as the children made a final which clashed. Back on board for this year, trusting that it really is doable on the road bike/ road tyres!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,630 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Really tempted by this but I’d be running clinchers so the fear of multiple punctures is real.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,630 ✭✭✭✭dahat

I’ve two blistered thumbs from trying to seat a tyre last night so really could do without a flat 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Is this do-able on a road bike ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

I would imagine with 28mm tyres and a few tubes just in case, yeah it would. I did a few gravel paths on my systemsix with no problems on 28mm tyres.

Only for the fact i have something on that weekend, i would do this spin. Good luck guys.

28mm tyres are fine on really rough roads, easy gravel/forestry roads etc

I'm using 28mm tyres (which effectively measure 31mm or so) for over 6 years without issue; often on surfaces that will be a lot worse than this sportive.

The key thing for comfort is the tyre pressure you run them at. My bike or I are light with a combined weight of circa 95kgs plus and I've over the years reduced rear tyre pressure to about 4 bar (60 of those old British units) and front to about 3.5.

All I ride if sh1te roads and I might get one pinch flat a year; normally when I forget to pump/check tyres and the rear is down around 3 bar and hit a hole

I wouldn't just rock up to Tipp Town without giving things a good test somewhere

https://goo.gl/maps/bBtbdghcTv3VEhjR7

3 road bikes went up those two places Sunday without issue

This road hasn't aged well since the Google car went down and was a good test of 28mm clinchers the few times I rode it.

From the website "People have done the cycle on 23c to 42c; we recommend somewhere in between 25c to 32c depending on style of rider. Bigger tyres will be more comfortable but ultimately slower, the balance between speed and comfort, again riders choice"

Go ride it, step outside your comfort zone and have some fun

Well I wasn't planning to change from my 25mm clinchers tbh. I may see what I have in the shed (there may be 28mm in there somewhere) and/or the state of the GP 4 seasons that are in there. Be after the Reservoir Dog though!

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Farloo

Did it last year on 28s, great event, would really recommend, so well organised, much better than events you pay 60e for!!!

I just entered this with me newly acquired Boards-issue Focus CX Mares! -Looking forward to it now.

Tyres on it are new Durano 25's. I'm sure they'll do the job grand. I have a selection of knobbly CX tyres but they're probably overkill, and can be a bit wandery on corners anyway in my experience.

We'll see what we can do but if it rains it'll be even more epic 😁

Thanks All! Not on this much but we really are look forward to seeing everyone on the 19th of September in Tipperary, if anyone has any question etc. give us an email grassroutes.granfondo@gmail.com (Preferably questions related to the Grass Routes 😂)

Question about the "navigation" and "self-guided" aspect to it.

Do we need to download garmin traces or bring our sextants and telescopes, or is it signposted? -Can a numpty like myself follow the route handy enough like.

There is a message on their FB page (from a few days ago) saying that they will be sending out an email with details and a GPX link early this week.

EDIT: I received an email from the organisers a few minutes ago with details of the route, GPX file etc.

Post edited by dastardly00 on

• Advertisement

I got an email at 12.01 today, with the link the route.

Thanks all, .GPX is sent out now. Its pretty well marked and sign posted along the way but still the .GPX is a good back up or a telescope, which ever is easier 😀😂

See ye on the 19th !

Looking at some of the sectors posted last night, I'm back tempted to go Gravel Bike!

I don't think I'll be chancing GP5000's anyway, so my options are (worn) GP 4 Seasons, or going all in with Marathon Plus!

Hi Macy0161, those pics are a little bit of a Red Herring, they exist, but not for long at all (>1km)😁 . There are only two 5star sectors; previous participants will be familiar with the limestone one, its similar to a cobbled berg to get over. Vast majority is the rural roads and classic boreens with grass in middle, all with pretty good surface considering 😀 everything is passable with the road bike (just about).

Tyre wise I'm currently using Vittoria Rubino Pro Graphine 25mm, I think my other bike has GP5000's and I have been out on the route with them.

Hope this helps ☺️

A bit of last minute training for Sunday 🙂

What I have on, an extra tube, and tyre boots it is!

What a super, super event. Definitely be back next year. Mad of bikes from fat to mountain to gravel to cross to road, with each showing its capabilities and failings at various sections.

My heart goes out to the lads on their s-works etap bikes and this evenings clean up!!!

Absolutely chuffed with how my bargain focus mares bought last week coped with everything that was thrown at it. Definitely the best compromise imo.

Hard hard day on the bike though, particularly the last 40 k where things got weary and dirty and wet.

Congrats to the organisers though. As intriguing and enjoyable and hard a day as Flanders for sure.

The penny drops fat bloke. I think you and another guy caught me and Robbie from St Teirnans on that last 40km, and I nearly managed to cling on to home (I was struggling by that stage)

Anyway, absolutely top day, even if it was brutal in parts on the road bike. Probably the calipers the biggest issue, but disc brakes and something wider that 25's probably a decent compromise.

Jersey just gone in for its second wash after the stains didn't come out first time. I think it's the cowsh!t from that sector...

Will try to muster up the strength tomorrow to post a few thoughts on my experience today - but right now I'm wrecked, and half of Tipperary is still stuck to the frame of my bike! 😂

• Advertisement

Aha. Nice one. Yeah, cripes I was delighted to catch ye and book a ticket on the train home. Sorry, it took a while for me to recover and give a turn at the front. That other lad that joined us on the canyon inflite was very strong, I had latched on to his wheel earlier and blew up trying to stay with him on one of the climbs. He punctured then, which was why he came upon us again. Ye were motoring along the two of ye as well. Was delighted to reach the finish, I fairly had enough of it at that stage!

Advertisement