Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

N8/N25/N40 - Dunkettle Interchange [under construction]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Some more details: the new roundabout by Pfizer in Little Island is completely done and open. It's being used as the primary southside site access.

The new Little Island flyover bridges are under construction. Pillars seem to be in place on both sides of the road. No mound of earth is yet in place yet for its associated slip roads and roundabouts (as of Sunday 15-August-21) on the south, but the mound of earth on the North is part-way done.

You can just about make out the pillars and the mound of earth on the webcam:

https://www.dunkettletraffic.ie/live/?id=2

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

More visible changes in the last few weeks.

• The M8 South to N25 East slip is now mostly tarmaced. Bridge completed.
    • Substantial works done done for the slip tie into the M8.
    • The old slip from Glounthaune to M8 South is now open again. Substantial temporary barriers in place.
    • Concrete poured on the bridge for the new M8 South mainline. Still need to build up earthworks to match level of bridge on both sides.
    • Pillars nearly complete for the 4/4 Dumbell/Bridge east of the current interchange.
    • N25 West to M8 North slip is starting to take shape. Significant earthworks completed on it.

They're currently widening both sides of the existing M8 bridge over the L2998 too.

Traffic underneath is one lane stop-go over the last few weeks.

Generally no tailbacks.

They have new metal barriers up on the bridge on the M8 north section by the looks of it.

Assume they’ll move traffic to the east onto the new bridge before long and then dig away the old M8 north section.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Yup, thats my thinking too. Maybe not initially? Perhaps they'll open M8(S) to N25(E), which also seems to be getting a lot of attention paid to it, to pull some traffic off the roundabout before switching to the big new bridge.

• Advertisement

That's exactly what I'm expecting also.

And I suspect it will happen soon enough, too, given the looks of that new bridge.

Meanwhile, Cork Co Co has also got approval for a new footpath/cycleway through from Bury's Bridge into the back of Eastgate, with a new dedicated Bus Gate.

So buses will take the Westernmost N25 Little Island slip to access Little Island, via the new Dumbell Interchange. it's not perfect, but it's the most ambitious thing I've ever seen from them

https://www.corkcoco.ie/en/planning/traffic-transport/statutory-processes

That is ambitious for Cork, let alone the country as a whole.

A bus gate, and bus stops on dual carriageway slip roads is unheard of here. Glad they are thinking of doing all of this. Did they employ someone new?

This one is by Arup, and I haven't seen a design by them in a while, but I'm fairly sure they've been used before.

It's like someone with a sustainable transport mindset has been magically parachuted in for this one. The bus gates in Eastgate, the removal of the "rat runs" at Harvey Norman, the kerb-separated cycle lanes, the raised table entrance crossings...OK it's not absolutely perfect, but there's some real ingenuity here. I was genuinely shocked at the new sustainable transport entrance to the West of Eastgate.

I still am quite worried about that new Little Island West dumbell interchange though. I may stand corrected, but I just don't think it will cope with the Dublin+Glanmire+Glounthaune+Mahon traffic demands in the mornings. Dublin should be using it to get to Tivoli, Glanmire and Glounthaune using it to get to the tunnel, and Mahon using it to get to Little Island. It just looks like too many flows to me, and the weaving on the northern arm (Dublin+Tivoli) looks very short.

https://www.dunkettle.ie/media/1334/traffic-movements_from-littleisland-glounthane.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

Looks good.

It might seem strange, but the off-ramp is probably the best location for that bus-stop: lots of people exit the station there, and walk across to Little Island, so it could allow an easier transfer to the far side of Little Island for people coming in by rail. It’s good to see transport planners taking notice of desire-paths and using them, and better to see efforts being made to facilitate rail/bus interchanges.

I spent about a year walking around there during lunch-breaks, and I can’t argue with any of those plans - this whole area was never particularly pedestrian-friendly (especially the circuitous access into EastGate Village by foot) and the new bus gate will improve connectivity without creating a rat-run.

Ive always worried about that Little Island "west" junction... for instance will N40E to N25E coming out of the tunnel in the evening get bogged down in traffic trying to join a potential queue up onto that junction. Quite how bad the weaving will be, or how long the merge lanes will be I don't know. None of the models have shown it well enough yet.The trouble is, what other option did they have? The whole interchange itself kind of blocks any attempt at further grade separation.

• Advertisement

Here are the movements onto N25 East. Pink blobs mark the end of merges. There’s a good amount of space there for N25 traffic to have a clear run at things before Little Island traffic tries to join. Remember, traffic joining (from the red path) must yield. Approaches to that junction could also be managed by traffic lights to control the rate of joining.

There is no way onto N25 East for traffic that does not go through the lower dumbbell roundabout. From exit 1 of that roundabout that road diverges into to branches: one (left lanes) leads to N8 North, the other (right lanes) goes to N8 West. The second exit of that lower roundabout leads to the tunnel and N40 West only.

I suspect the join between N40/N25E and the N8 North roads will be tapered in such a way that traffic coming from the tunnel will be allowed move right onto N8 North, but traffic that originated from the West has no way to cross over, and must continue onward to N8.

Where you say "the join between N40/N25E and the N8 North roads will be tapered in such a way that traffic coming from the tunnel will be allowed move right onto N8 North, but traffic that originated from the West has no way to cross over, and must continue onward to N8." that's exactly my concern area. It looks like there are three potential flows joining together at your left-hand pink dot. If that's cut to two, it's much more manageable.

I have secondary concerns about this same junction: Glanmire/Glounthaune traffic will come through it too and I believe it will be quite busy. So I don't think North Cork traffic towards the city is going to choose the M8 when this upgrade is complete, I believe they'll still rat-run through Rathcooney etc. Ultimately, I think when this one's done, we'll still have a North-Cork to City problem.

It's also the active transport route through the interchange! The only improvement I can think of would be an overhead route from M8 southbound through towards the Glashaboy river. It would need two new structures, and the one at the West would be quite complex.

Okay, this image is clearer. (source: HomePage_Sectors_SectorsListing_Geotechnical_ProjectProfile_Dunkettle.png (1000×459) (fehilytimoney.ie) )

The slip heading toward M8 North is completely isolated from N40-to-N25 East. There is no opportunity for merging or weaving.

The only place where weaving could occur is between point A (N8-South meets Tunnel-to-N25-East) and point B (diverge from Tunnel-to-N25-East for Little Island Junction). That’s going to have to be under a reduced speed limit, I think.

Point C is where the Eastbound traffic from the tunnel meets the main N25.

I’ve put traffic originating in Little Island in red. Only Little Island to N25 East touches any traffic flow that originated in the tunnel, at point D, and by that time, the eastbound traffic is well sorted.

As far as I can tell, the blue coming out of the tunnel will be 2 lanes, right along to C. Orange will be one lane. But I would like to see the proposed lane arrangements for sure, thats the sort of detail we haven't seen just yet.

Of course, it might be somewhat self-sustaining, if traffic is bad at that dumbbell, people might just see it and go along to the Little Island junction.

Yes, blue is 2 lanes, Orange is one.

From Point A to Point B is three lanes.

Point B to C is five lanes, merging to three (the existing road is three lanes here already).

The drawings here show the lane arrangements:

.. it also has these nice renders of the final scheme, complete with lane-markings. This one shows the section between Point A and Point B on my drawing above:

These are the original scheme drawings, last changed in 2012, but they are the same drawings as used for illustrating traffic movements on the current project scheme.

You've drawn it perfectly and confirmed my thinking also: it's point A to point B in your drawing that I'm most concerned about.

My secondary concern is then the red traffic flow which crosses the bridge over the N25. It's drawn in red on the incorrect side of the bridge but that's immaterial, the point is that it will be Dublin, Cork, Mahon, Glanmire and Glounthaune traffic sharing that bridge lane and I expect it to be quite a heavy flow in the mornings.

Combine these and you get: bridge backed up, slip lane backed up, tunnel backed up.

This is just an observation, I haven't done any mathematics whatsoever and I hope I'm wrong about it!

Chris_5339762, I don't think the tunnel traffic will be able to "see and avoid" if the weaving Dublin-origin traffic clogs point B above: the tunnel will cease to function Eastbound.

I think the only way that this can happen is if traffic is leaving Little Island blocking the upper roundabout, if traffic on the new Little Island link road itself stops, or if there's a crash due to weaving between A and C above.

Look at the second montage that shows the layout between A and B. The M8 off-slip is slightly elevated, but there are good sight-lines for traffic already on the N40 off-slip to see what’s coming down that ramp. Also, and in fairness to the designers here, they have made sure to keep the extra lanes in place in order to reduce the effects of weaving: there are two destinations from here, but three lanes. Traffic from the Tunnel to N25 Waterford is pretty much out of this, and can just stay right and avoid everything. An 80 or 60 km/h limit through the interchange, white paint and good signage will solve a lot of these problems

On my illustration, I’ve drawn the traffic flows from the Western side of Little Island, not into it, so the red line is on the proper side. ( On the original drawings of that scheme, which I linked to later, there is a red line along there, but it is a cycleway, not a traffic lane.)

But remember that this junction is not the only access to Little Island - the existing Glounthaune/Little Island junction will remain further East. This junction only has to deal with the flows that would normally have used the Tunnel Roundabout to access the Western side of Little Island. For that, it will be fine.

Great work Kris! You're right, the third lane there will take away a LOT of the problem. I had thought it was two, and that was a major part of my concern!

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Live at Three

The busyness of the interchange works is inversely proportional to the busyness of this forum.

• Advertisement

Interesting email this week. The beams for the new dumbbell interchange to the east of the present roundabout will be put in place during November.

a lot if the work is also focusing now on the N8 east to N25 south movement which will hug the present flyover before looping to the left and joining the M8 mainline to go to the tunnel.

I think this also is a facilitator to remove the existing "Ibis" slip road beside M8 Southbound. That slip road needs to be removed reasonably urgently to facilitate other works, so focusing urgency on the movement you've highlighted.

With my "sustainable transport" hat on, it will be an important movement also, as it will be the first cycle route directly into Little Island. It's unlikely this cycle route will get much use in the short term, but in the medium-to-long term, there will be some "on-road greenways" from Glanmire to Dunkettle, and it will be a viable commute for some current drivers. You can imagine, for instance for people in the new Ballinglanna estate, that this will cut 2km or so off their 5km journey. That's a big deal. It will also for the first time facilitate buses into and through Little Island as a viable commuter bus route. There was a proposal also to have a "shuttle" route from the Train Station through the Island and back via this interchange, but I don't see this happening in the short term.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭serfboard

In case it wasn't posted here already, as well as Open Street Map being updated (showing very complicated looking arrangements), Google StreetView updated (some of) their images around the junction in August of this year so there are some nice shots there as well.

It's some project, in terms of its complexity.

To add to that the entire interchange (apart from the old slip into Glounthaune) is still in-situ. It may be complex now, but when they do the diversions to build the bits on the current footprint of the interchange, it'll be even more complex.

Looking very far into the future, when the Tivoli docks are redeveloped, I’d like to see a walk way / cycle way developed south if the train line / Dunkettle interchange linking Tivoli directly into Little Island.

I think this would be a much better long term solution to get city cyclists into Little Island.

That is the long-term plan, yep. South of the Glashaboy bridge, and South of the Tunnel Management building. The route will be viable but it looks like an opportunity to de-traffic Dunkettle will likely be missed. Obviously very far into the future, but some challenges that will need to be dealt with are:

The route will be on the boundary of the harbour SPA. It will be resisted particularly at the mouth of the Glashaboy River.

The route through Tivoli will be complex: there will be a P&R and it will be a dense urban area. I have low confidence in the ability to deliver a route of quality through that.

In draft Tivoli masterplans to-date there have been a mix of a direct "transport" route and an indirect "scenic" route along the shoreline. Where it's been "direct", it has been a "tag-along" to the primary motorised vehicular access. It's likely that a BOTH a "tag-along" direct route and a "scenic" shoreline route will be delivered, neither of which will work well for transport.

The link eastward from Dunkettle interchange to Little Island is currently of low quality and will need to be upgraded.

Finally, there is a plan to add a new river crossing from Centre Park Road to the Millennium Garden (Tivoli) and I believe that this movement will be a key part of delivery of an East-West corridor. The proposed design of this is a bus corridor with "tag-along" cycle lane to the motorised vehicular access.

From a Dunkettle perspective unless we upskill big time in active transport infrastructure design we're going to struggle to get meaningful modal shift. More cars will certainly come through Dunkettle from Tivoli. Cars, buses and trains. The opportunity is available to create a model "active transport" area but I don't think we'll see that opportunity materialise. At this point it's more likely that we'll get good mass transit in the area.

Sorry for digressing so much, but in fairness it does heavily concern Dunkettle.

No drone footage on this weeks email sadly.

Significant work being done on the N8 East to N25 south link though.

I'm expecting the new Little Island West dumbell interchange bridge to start getting its the beams installed before too long.

The upright pillars are all nearing full height by the looks of it.

I was able to have a little more of a look at the new M8 bridges over the railway line, and there's still a good bit to do on both of them from what I can see. There's not enough earthworks on either side and certainly no blacktop on the bridges themselves. So a bit more to go there. The widening of the M8 L2998 bridge is ongoing, but looks like it's well over half-way, to my untrained eye.

I think I read that the beams will start to be installed on the bridge for the dumbell beginning in Nov.

I see they are pouring columns for the N8 West to N25 South link at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Pretty sure I passed two of them on trucks at the site last night. It was a hive of activity around 10pm.

Advertisement