Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl: Irish artisan coffee producers

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,435 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Saw the Soma in today - €6.99 and ground only I think. No roast date that I could see, just a BBE 1/1/22

• Registered Users Posts: 43 ShadowSA

Enjoying the Brady’s in our Moka. And the bag is resealable which is great. Will buy again.

The studio roasters have a bag marked "Aroma" in LIDL special buys at the moment - marked single origin but zero details on it never mind a roast date. Poor. Could be from anywhere! €5 for 200g too so expensive enough considering.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,010 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Picked up a bag of Soma in Lidl at the weekend.

Brazil - Eldorado Farm, ground.

No roast date on it, or anything that would give an indication. Best before is 01/01/22.

If I were guessing I'd say this was put together in late June, early July, but can't back that up at all other than how it looks/smells/tastes to me.

Of all the premium Irish Lidl offerings I've got so far this is the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,884 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Galway Roast’s blend of Guatemalan, Brazilian and Honduras coffee exclusively on Lidl shelves from 2 September

https://www.galwaydaily.com/news/lidl-announces-contract-with-local-galway-coffee-business/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,335 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Opened it today. Found it very bitter.

Will finish the bag but won't be buying again

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Craig_David

great cheers for that.

Going to pick up some of this tomorrow

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,010 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I got the Galway Roast today… a roast date of 13/8 on the bag.

Picked this up a few days ago - roast date 15/8.

A dark roast so not really a fit for the clever dripper. Tried it out but ay too bitter for me, might work as espresso though. Couldn't finish it, even with a much coarser grind.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,884 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Lidl Plus app has:

Brady's Coffee in-store price: €3.99 Lidl Plus price: €2.99 Product size: 227g Max 1 pack per coupon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,335 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

• Registered Users Posts: 19,492 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Thought I might try a bag as I was in between roasts. Over-roasted, bitter and oily. Had tried Bradys previously, and it was passable (ok in a pinch), but I can't see myself using any more of these beans. Pictures on the bag suggested different brewing methods (all but espresso), but yeah, too darkly roasted for any manual coffee making methods, and just not a nice espresso. I've roasted a few kgs of Brazil Santos in the past and as a light roast it's a lovely coffee. Think the other two bean additions they use are probably a cheap Robusta. But at least it re-affirmed my commitment to home roasting.

Glad it's not just me! Why do they roast so dark? It's such a common thing, they should at least mark it on the bag imo, so you know not to even bother if you are going for filter.

Of the supermarket beans I have found the Velo Colombia single origin (yellow bag) in Tesco the best lately, the Brady's is not bad at the price point, and the Zambia LIDL brown bag one if really stuck, does a job! At least all three aren't roasted to a char.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Still bitter as an espresso. Won't be buying it again

Most likely covering up for sh1tty beans. Maybe they do a better job of their own direct sales beans, and just bolster their supermarket roasts with some cheaper varieties, and then roast them to ca very dark profile so it's less noticeable. They're in good company with Insomnia, Café Nero, and Starbucks (though I believe Starbucks use good beans, they just roast the crap out of them).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Anyone try the warbler & wren in tesco?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

Might not be the place for it, but what setup do you use for roasting? I've used the air popcorn makers and with a Whirley Pop in the past, but interested in what you use if that's your main source of beans.

I followed a similar path and started out with a popcorn popper. After doing around 6 batches (of around 80g each), I picked up a second hand Behmor 1600 from another coffee forum poster (Donnacha) in early March. Since then, I've roasted around 15kgs in the Behmor. I'd usually roast around 250-300g a week, more often than not, natural processed coffees that I buy from Roast Rebels in Germany. I've been buying about 5-6kgs of green beans at a time, and it ends up averaging around €15/kg delivered (some cheaper and some more expensive varieties). It takes me about 20-25 minutes start to finish to roast a batch, most of that time is just sitting around waiting. Currently I'm drinking a natural Yirgacheffe, and to my taste buds, it's as good as anything I'd get from 3FE or B&D. I love having freshly roasted beans on demand, and all-in (excluding the cost of the roaster and my personal time!), comes in at around €5/250g bag.

Advertisement