Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off topic: chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

Thanks Hermy, I'll try just the surname and see if anything pops up. Also maybe the first name was not the real first name, maybe a second name. I have a few relatives with changes in the first name. Worth another go so.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Have you tried going another way and finding a burial for him? Deansgrange and Glasnevin and Buried in Fingal give good coverage.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭crossman47

I may well be repeating something others have posted but a word of warning. Be very wary of family trees created by others e.g. on Ancestry. People unfamiliar with an area are prone to including all births in an area with a particular surname to the family they are researching without carefully looking at the birth records themselves. An example I found was births to parents of the same name (very common names in the area) registered in Westport all attributed to one family when some were to parents in Westport town and others to parents in Louisburgh.

Yes, that's a very common problem.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

I imagine a phone enquiry to Glasnevin with a particular name would give you information if he is there. Also Mt Jerome have a decent office. Sometimes people are buried in unusual locations eg if came from outside Dublin, they may return to a family plot. Deans Grange and Shanganagh have a great facility to view their record book once you have logged on to

https://www.dlrcoco.ie/en/cemeteries/burial-records

• Advertisement

Thanks, I'll have a look at the burials too now.

off topic. I am embarrassed by my poor knowledge of Irish history even all history... Could anyone recommend a decent book on the 1916 to 1923 period? Or do we need to go further back? Events of that time are significant to family tree. I am trying to explain bits and pieces to non Irish cousin.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Don't be embarrassed Garlinge - I'm in the same boat but am trying to address this deficit both for genealogy and quizzing.

I can't recommend a book specific to the 1916-23 period but Tim Pat Coogan's Ireland in the Twentieth Century, his biography of Michael Collins, and the RTE documentary series Seven Ages (you'll find it on YouTube) were my starting point.

Genealogy Forum Mod

I think you absolutely need to go further back than that period, Garlinge. What happened then only happened because many things finally came together, but the roots of why they happened stem from our whole complicated history with Britain.

Two books I recommend:

Modern Ireland by Roy Foster

The Cambridge Social History of Modern Ireland edited by Eugenio Biagini and Mary Daly

I second Hermy's suggestion of the Seven Ages documentary.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Excellent response both of you.... thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Rmulvany

Just a heads up, customs charges being put on FamilyTree DNA kits (and probably the others too).

Only €3.69. But worth noting this will delay the arrival of the kit if anyone is ordering.

Here is one to bring a smile to us avid researchers! I spotted someone on Ancestry with huge tree and included my great grandmother so I messaged him as to the connection as I could not make sense of it. This is his reply:

"sister-in-law of paternal grandfather of husband of niece of husband of great-grandaunt" 😆

Love it. I had one of those too.

Translation: in no way related.

Genealogy Forum Mod

They might be step-neighbours-in-law!

Genealogy Forum Mod

Keep it up and he will get back to Adam and Eve!

I am interested in very small village where grandfather was born 1890 but left in 1904. He wrote his memoirs of those time later in life so lots to follow up. There is a Facebook page devoted to local parish ( includes two villages) affairs and there have been bits of historic/genealogical interest contributed there but soon buried amidst lost dogs, GAA match events, weddings etc. I dont 'do' Facebook otherwise. Is there any other suggestions as to a forum to share memories etc? A bit like boards or a forum where topics stay organised. I have used Rootschat but not for this. A google of the village name ( so tiny) brings back few 'hits' save the facebook stuff and some defunct website. I have found "Tipperary Studies" run by county library and that might place to go.

Post edited by Garlinge on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭BowWow

Have a look at this site. I only came across it last week - it seems to have what you are looking for.

https://irelandxo.com/

Yes thank you, I have been there and contributed a bit but there is very little traffic about my small place.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,355 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

Finding it impossible to work backwards from a marriage record in the states, with a very common female name and only "Ireland" as a birthplace.

No idea how to trace back any genealogical data, given a 30 year period of potential travel in the early 1800's, with no other info to go by.

...Any ideas?

Post edited by Deja Boo on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,088 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Is there a father's name on the marriage record?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,355 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

None - the U.S. record (from the 1830's) only lists hers and her grooms name (with the same surname), marriage date and place.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭hblock21

When are they going to release those last civil death records for 1864-1870? The wait is just so frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mindhorn

Not sure if this falls under off-topic...

Someone has contacted me on Ancestry asking to help regarding an adoption case. They have possible connections to a family that's also on my public tree and they are researching on behalf of a family member. I'm more than happy to help but wondering if by answering any of their questions, or giving them contact details etc for them to get in touch, that I could be opening a can of worms? Obviously I don't know the full story yet but of course it's a possiblity that the family on my tree do not want to be contacted.

Great post mindhorn.

Over the past few years I've had a foot in both camps, on the one hand sending out those sort of messages in the hope of a positive response, and on the other, receiving them from people in the same boat.

Yes, you could be opening up a can of worms but that doesn't have to be a bad thing and very often the reunions that result from these enquiries have a positive outcome.

Like you, I'd be more then happy to help anyone in this situation but I draw the line at contact details.

Generally where someone messages me looking to contact a third party I will offer to send on their message to the third party and leave it up to the third party to decide what to do.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mindhorn

Thanks, Hermy.

My concern is that it's possibly not a known event in the family of the third party. So if I do contact the third party (there are six or seven siblings in the family so I don't know who I am to contact exactly) then that could cause some uncomfortable conversations for them. I should be looking at the positives here but I'm keeping the potential drawbacks in mind.

You're right to be concerned.

Although I am wholly in favour of openness with regard to adoption nonetheless these issues should always be handled with care.

Is there a genealogist or other approachable person in the third party's family who you could talk to?

Do you have any idea yourself where the connection might be?

If so, that might help you decide who to speak to (or not) as the case may be.

Also, try to get as much information as you can from the person who contacted you before you take it any further.

You may be able to do more with that info than they can, such as establish whether or not they're barking up the right tree.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭BowWow

I'll probably go with "Someone Else"...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Baybay

My mother was the last child of four siblings born to an older father & younger mother. My grandfather was born in 1875 & died as a result of an accident when my mother was a toddler in the 1930s. She remembers being brought into the bedroom at home to visit him as he was dying & that’s about it. Her father was rarely spoken of after his death, she doesn’t know why particularly. My mother has passed away also but my aunt, her sister who is quite a bit older is still alive at almost 96 & refuses to speak about her father at all. All I hear is that he’s not worth talking about which is spectacularly unhelpful as she’s the only one now who can speak about anything in relation to that generation! It’s so frustrating.

Perhaps you should try auntie again, explain how it is 'tearing you apart' to find out about him and after she's gone you'll never know, and anyway what does it matter to anybody else now but it matters a lot to you. I'm in the same position regarding my grandmother, she died old, she died young, she moved away, she could be buried here, she had more children, and she also didn't have more children. Its infuriating trying to get the right story before the eldest in our family goes. I'm always hoping someone from my grandmother's side of the family will eventually contact me via Ancestry, been waiting decades to find out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Is there any leading info to be gleaned from a death cert or newspaper reports

Advertisement