Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Low Mileage

• 17-09-2021 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭

Does it sound reasonable that a garage says that the consistent issue of multiple warning lights coming on in a 201 car bought from new is due to not doing enough mileage?

The car has been into them 4 times with the same issue. They have changed coils and plugs but keep saying it's not doing enough mileage. It's a 1.0 litre petrol, purposely bought for small journeys. I'm sick of hearing it's not doing enough miles. As far as I'm concerned it's the car that is at fault, not the drivers lack of mileage. If minimum miles are required should that not be started before sale? Am I being unreasonable? I am not willing to accept that I either up the mileage or constantly take it back in when the lights come on again. It's faulty but the garage say it isn't?!

Any advice, it's driving (!) me mad!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭Miscreant

What's the mileage?

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭ingalway

5,500 kms. Would have been higher without lockdown but probably not massively. Was cocooning for most of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,489 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Not enough mileage is very vague.

What are the exact issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Which warning lights? But sounds like bollox to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 81,110 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

That's about 100km a week so more than 7km each way trips a day at a minimum which I'd have expected in a petrol is fine. Perhaps in the winter with lights on, rear demister on, heating on it would be borderline at recharging battery but should be no issues with coil packs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

If it's in for similar issues each time' keep records and if no real fix. get legal advice.

That kind of mileage should be enough to keep a petrol car perfectly happy if averaged out over the term.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,109 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

My father only put about 45k miles on a car over about 10 years and there were never had an issue related to lack of driving it. To me they sound like they are talking shite because they probably don't know what exactly the problem is. If they are so convinced its from a lack of driving then ask them for that evaluation in writing, I bet you won't get it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Short journeys with lots of stop start ? Does it ever get an 'Italian service' where it gets a nice fast run from time to time ?

The PCS warning light, tyre pressure light (pressure is fine in all tyres), engine malfunction light and slip indicator light, all come on continuously then get turned off by the garage, but somehow there is no fault with the car.

The first time it was in: missfire found on cylinder 3-2 and missfire still in cyl 3. Transfer spark plug from cylinder 3-2 and missfire to cyl 2. Replaced spark plug cylinder 2.

2nd report: eml and traction control lights on, P0139 and C120 engine and ABS oxygen sensor B152 slow in active test, replaced O2 sensor bank 1 sensor 2.

3rd and 4th time I think they said they tried to replicate faults and were sending reports to manufacture but neither could replicate. I assume that means they turned the dash error lights off, couldn't get them to come back on. They came back on anyway after the 3rd visit. Waiting in anticipation now as only just come back from a week in the garage!

Even if it was only driven 20 kms a week, with an occasional longer trip, shouldn't it just function properly anyway? A brand new small petrol engine surely is designed for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Casati

They are talking rubbish, no car manufacturer has a minimum mileage requirement, there is obviously something either mechanical or electrical wrong- they need to properly diagnose and fix it

• Advertisement

Not often but it has had a few 50km round trips. To be honest going any distance with those lights on, or with potential to come on, does not inspire confidence to go very far!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

What car is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

My moneys on it being a Seat

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

If it was a small diesel I'd begrudgingly tend to agree with them.

Small petrol. Nope. This is what they are being sold for!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

make & model? OP

• Registered Users Posts: 11,489 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

That would be hybrid I assume.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭.red.

I'm no expert but a 1.0 Toyota aygo is designed as a small city runaround. Its marketed by Toyota as a "compact city car".

Saying a fault on one of them is due to lack of mileage is like saying a large saloon diesel is failing because of high motorway mileage.

I'd be giving them one last go to fix it and telling them the next stop after that is a solicitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Josephfromdowntheroad

Lack of mileage on a petrol is a new one to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 mortis43

Is it a Toyota main dealer you are speaking to? Not to hijack the thread but my experiences of Toyota main dealers (two different places over the past two years) has been nothing short of shocking. Mostly for dishonesty such as what you’ve mentioned above. Maybe get a second opinion at another garage or independent mechanic if you can?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,109 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It's a 2020 car still under manufacturer's warranty that Toyota should be fixing. I wouldn't be getting any independent mechanic involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 smartarsery

With a lot of different faults like this I'd guess at it being a loose/corroded/broken ground connection, or some other kind of wiring issue. Seems like they're trying to fix the symptoms instead of finding the real problem. Kind of like putting an ice pack on your forehead because you're sweating from an infection, instead of treating the infection.

I once had an ABS/traction-control light on because my EGR valve was clogged and so the computer couldn't do the calculations for traction control properly. The dealer wanted to "try" a new ABS module for €800!

And yes, the "low mileage" excuse is definitely BS!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

That means the engine and associated bits and bobs has getting up to temperature for a while so they can't blame condensation or carbon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

If you know this much about cars, why bring it to the garage at all? I suggest get a small scan tool that you can read/erase codes with yourself. That seems to be all they're doing anyway.

Yes it's a main dealer which I think make it worse, firstly that they say such rubbish continually and secondly that they can't fix it after 4 attempts.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Look for a full refund, or a new car.

Solicitor is best next step - they have tried to repair and failed, so replace with new or refund - Sale of Goods.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭Miscreant

5500kms in a year is not what I would consider extremely low mileage. My mother has a 2010 car with 46000kms on it and it runs like it was new. I realise it is an older car than the one you have OP but I have never come across a minimum mileage requirement on any vehicle I or my family have ever bought.

The garage sounds like they may be fobbing you off until the warranty is up on the car so they can wash their hands of it. As a previous poster said, you may be best looking to go the Solicitor route. Definitely get Toyota Ireland involved in this as well as you may want to get a statement from them on this "independently" of the dealership.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,566 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

It could be that they haven't seen that issue before and might not be a fix from toyota about it so it's a bit of trial and error

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Write to the dealer principal and list the issues and the ENTIRE timeline of attempts to fix it.

Say you're unhappy, that the car isn't fit for purpose, and that you will REJECT the car if it isn't fixed next time permanently.

No need for a solicitor. Yet.

The car sounds like a dud tbh.

Advertisement