Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Recovery - Chocolate milk and banana

• 28-08-2021 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭

What’s peoples view on chocolate milk and a banana as a recovery after a workout?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Should be fine depending on what a workout involves. Carbs and Protein post workout is the usual recommendation. Best look at the big picture - it matters what the sum total macros in your diet are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭Danye

Thanks Patsy.

I was looking for something quick and easy to take after all different types of training (gym, running, football and soccer) I’ve noticed my recovery isn’t what it once was and while my overall diet is quite decent, sometimes after a session of any description, I might not have access to any decent food for an hour or 2, which I thought could be hindering my recovery? So something like a banana and chocolate milk could be handy?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,601 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Sounds delicious!

I'd say it would hit the spot for the energy and proteins. Very sweet snack, though.

Would be quite a strong shot of blood sugar, for me; I'd rather eat an oatmeal bar, slower to digest because of the fibre.

Portion size and quality of ingredients on the chocolate milk is worth keeping in mind too.

To give an example, You'll often see young lads carrying around one of these (750ml) after the gym - Check out the calories & sugar content - https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=272310384

vs.

something like this which is more reasonable https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=296407723

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭Danye

Cheers lads.

The sugar content of some products is incredible!

@Day Lewin any particular brand of oatmeal bar? The likes of those nature valley ones are full of sugar aren’t they?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭markmoto

Recovery after workout is a good rest with usual healthy lunch or breakfast.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Why chocolate milk and not just milk?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,550 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

If you're training in the evening, you're better off having something before the next day's breakfast or lunch.

Because chocolate milk is all sorts of yummy and life is too short to limit yourself to just regular milk!

Except kids, Various studies have proved that milk shows no effect on health and drinking it regularly can also cause various gastric issues like bloating, diarrhea, gas, stomach pain, Irritable Bowel Syndrome, other problems like acne and even bone breakage. And btw having excessive amount of chocolate will eventually gives you kidney stones as well. : )

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Do the studies differentiate between those with LCT gene mutations on Chromosome 2 and those without? Most people on earth do not have these mutations. Most Irish people do. Those gastric issues you describe are symptoms of lactose intolerance, which is incredibly rare in north western Europeans. Our ancestors specifically evolved an ability to derive health benefits from milk and dairy consumption.

Wondering if you ever tried milk right from the cow when it still warm? Majority of people who tried first time at adult age reported as most disgusting drink they ever had. I have tried and I do agree, absolute rubbish.

Advertisement