Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Budget 2022 fuel tax to rise

• 17-09-2021 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭

Surprise surprise.. Budget 2022 fuel tax to rise

Additional carbon tax will be adding a few cent to petrol & diesel .. there's always the possibility of additional fuel duty, and even vat changes.

Petrol and Diesel

Among the price hikes that will affect many people in Ireland is the cost of petrol and diesel.

According to plans, a 60-litre tank of diesel will rise by €1.48, while a 60-litre tank of petrol will jump up by €1.28.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

A classic catastrophe post because you read too much in the media.

It's not a "few cents" per litre. It is 2c a litre + vat on diesel and 1.6c + vat on petrol. Same as last year and year before and well flagged as an annual increase.

I love the way the media used a large "full tank" to try and make it seem a bigger increase than it is. (How many people put €90 of fuel into their vehicle)

On a standard €50 fuel purchase it will add about 75c

It will have many people think electric as the same increase will happen next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,259 ✭✭✭jmreire

Sure, but when it comes to HGV, its going to cost a lot more than a few quid extra to fill the tank,,,and this wiil have a knock on effect on whats on the supermarket prices, leading to increased wage demands.. etc. Vicious circle scenario. Once you hit transport, you hit everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭mikeecho

People complain about the cost of fuel..

What's 2c/l.

And yet.. all these 2¢s have got us to we are with fuel costs.

If you'll offer to reimburse me 2¢/l for my annual fuel bill, I'd gladly accept.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,055 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Then when delivery charges are added onto everything, it's the other lad who gets in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,113 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It will be going up every budget until 2030, they have set this. When it hits €4 a litre I will consider going electric to save money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I don't know the answer so just querying it but do HGV not have cheaper tax like buses?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,612 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There's a rebate scheme. It covers part of the excise duty, not the carbon tax; and its also not even that much.

With supply chains already getting slower, there is probably a market to bring back more rail container liners like we had til Bell went under in 1997. Its still diesel, its still quite dirty but its not taxed and it would reduce the trip lengths on actual trucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I'm going to let the media in on a secret here so they can plan their articles out to 2030. The government has pledged to raise tax on fuel by 2c/l every year for the next 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,674 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

CO2 is such a pressing issue, and so important it be taxed heavily, that An Post are currently sending a majority of packages that are arriving from outside the EU, back to their points of origins in order to try and get them to submit electronic customs declarations in addition to the physical ones already on them. Some have been returned to Asia more than once, already, and will have circumnavigated the planet 3 or four times instead of 0.5 times.

Reducing CO2 footprints is important for everyone, except of course the government and it's agencies.

Post edited by cnocbui on

M

The additional carbon taxes are going to cost each household an additional €400 next year, meanwhile we continue to export meat to the UK so someone can have a £1 burger in McDonalds made from Irish beef, it's an absolute joke of priorities.

https://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/households-face-paying-400-more-this-winter-as-energy-crisis-intensifies-40862452.html

• Advertisement

The problem with that plan is that by the time it reaches that figure, will you be able to afford the €40'000 ( or what ever it will cost to buy an EV) by then???😁

M

That's the plan 😂 .

By then there will be battery trucks operating in South Armagh where you can charge your car with unmarked electricity.

Going to mean major business model changes all right !!!!🤣

i'll go green Diesel soon enough

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Typical knee jerk reactions to go full electric to save money. Even a full tank once a week is a total extra of 100eu a year. Set that against a 40 to 60k new ev car cost without interest costs and you have to question people's basic maths.

That said if you want a new car just get one, no issues. But don't claim you are going to save money.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,674 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Irish people are infatuated with running costs and blind to lifetime costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,137 ✭✭✭highdef

Where did you come up with a standard fuel purchase equalling €50? I can't remember the last time a tank refill came to such a small amount in monetary terms. I measure by the litre when refilling and it's almost always between 45 and 49 litres, not €. Obviously the cost of the refill fluctuates all the time but it's always a large amount over €50. Car is a basic 1.5 litre Ford Focus...... Pretty standard affair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Whocare

Price of diesel now will start to make people change job especially if there hour commute or more

leaving aside government budget increases, it’s the general price of fuel I’m concerned about. There’s definitely a tipping point where people will prefer to have some level of control over their weekly and monthly finances.

could diesel or petrol go to 3-4 euro a litre over next 5 years? Who knows- between wars, legislation around greenhouse gasses, supply/demand, who’s to say what the price per litre will be.

buying electric will give people a level of certainty around their future monthly outgoing costs- and of course reduced servicing as long as the battery behaves itself.

to some this may not make sense when depreciation of new car, finance etc taken into account but certainty means a lot to some consumers- certainty your car will start in the morning or that the running costs will be low or that they don’t have to “worry” about NCT- these are genuine consumer influencers whether they make sense or not on paper

• Registered Users Posts: 14,285 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

one thing i will be suprised if it doesnt happen is that once there are enough electric cars the gov will be trying to figure out how to tax your electricity use for car charging.

• Advertisement

Totally- it will be a massive loss of revenue for the state- I’ve an old petrol gas guzzler- while currently WFH my normal daily commute was 100km - so about 20k Kim’s a year just to get to work - so petrol costs were high (27-30 mpg) - servicing some years was also around 1200 depending on what went wrong but currently touch wood, I think I’ve replaced most things that go in an older car at this stage so hoping for a year or two more of low annual servicing costs.

but if I went back to that same mileage for commuting alone coupled with an additional 10k Kms general use, if petrol or diesel just kept rising significantly between servicing reliability and running costs, a new EV would make sense to me ,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Posted this elsewhwere

Oh thats coming.

My company is doing work with a company who are researching ways for governments to collect motor tax when EVs have a significant effect on the take.

The front runner seems to be that all EVs will be required to have a meter in them (pretty sure all the ones sold here already have this capability already). You pay the tax based on the elecectricity consumption of the car. eg tax of 5c per kwh delivered to the car. They can then multip[ly that by the "luxuriousnous" of the car for you.

Either it gets automatically uploaded to a central database, or you submit it every month / year or whatever works best and it gets tallied at your NCT or MOT or whatever.

By the time EVs take over a system such as that will already be in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭oinkely

im interested in this as a concept. Tax take on fuel will have to be replaced. We have two electric cars and a diesel crewcab van. The second electric car definitely has no way of recording the leccy going into it as it is a 2012 citroen czero. Incidentally it was bought because the cost of commuting 50km a day in the diesel van (monetary and environmental) was excessive in my opinion and due to work and school timetables cycling or public transport was not remotely feasible. Recent times have changed the need but still holding on to the second leccy car as a runabout when the other one is in work with my wife. Financially probably better off without the expense of the second car, but i feel a lot better about nipping to the shops etc in the tiny leccy car than in the diesel van, which is reserved for longer trips almost exclusively at this stage.

But to the point, no idea how the gubbermint will calculate how much leccy goes into this thing. Perhaps it will be an outlier and get left alone, making it appreciate in value as years pass!

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭TheBigGreen

Will motor tax increase? Like I'm paying €390 a year but will that increase to €570?

I don’t see any reason why not- even 20 euro per car average brings in an instant 20 -30 million - that will take care of the costs of the HSE cyber attack in 3 years time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32 RingSting

Some lad down the pub tell you that?😂

My mates dads cousin is in the green party and he's working on a tax that you have to pay for Guinness farts........

One of the other options being checked out is that you have a special circuit on your fuse board, like for night storage heaters, but for cars.

You are not allowed to charge your car unless on this circuit and the meter takes care of the tax. At present though there are too many ways around this, so i dont think thats going to be a runner at all.

Perhaps in your case they will just leave it alone until the car dies. Or maybe record the mileage at the yearly NCT, or maybe even just have a fixed rate for cars that cant be recorded.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 RingSting

So the government are going to go around and retro fit special circuits to peoples houses ?

Believe what you like. Maybe they will end up never taxing EVs. All I can tell you is that our company are working on the software for recording the research, and I have a peek every now and then at all sorts of projects that interest me even though im not working on them myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

So I wonder how will people with solar arrays get a rebate for the electricity they produce? Cos I'm damned if I'm paying for juice I generate off my own roof from panels I already paid for myself.

By the way I'm not trying to shoot the messenger here. It just seems that no matter what way you turn the govt manage to make a balls of something or other.

Advertisement