Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 Executive Officer Civil Service

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭jules86

No waiting to be called for interview.

2 months wait for etray results.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Clareh123

Would also love any last minute interview tips, like what kinds of questions were asked? I have my interview tomorrow, I interviewed (unsuccessfully) for AO before so I think I have an idea but some new info would be great.

In case it's relevant to anyone, some of the things I was asked for AO were:

Tell us about a time you managed underperformance

What does the role entail?

Was there a time you went against your colleagues on an issue (This one is slippery)

Tell us about a project you are proud of.

Was there a time you managed disagreements in a group?

Tell us about a time you went above and beyond

What is the link between your studies and work?

What is the biggest crisis facing the government?

They also asked quite a few questions about my current role.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Pamelabeasley

Hi guys just had interview thought it was quite tough and was very nervous! How long until results would be out roughly?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 LISAMC38

Good luck with your results, I believe they take approx 2 weeks. Can I please ask what aspects of the interview you found tough?

i found the interruptions to look for more information kind of threw me off balance and I was almost forgetting to get to the point of my examples for some of the competency questions! It was also very fast paced which was daunting. They panel were very nice but I still found it tough, by the end of the 40 minutes I could barley string a sentence together 🥲 I was very nervous beforehand also so that didn’t help matters either. I was asked almost all of the questions mentioned by Clareh123 above, as well as more follow ups.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 LISAMC38

if I do get called for interview, I imagine I will be feeling exactly the same. Lots of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭blondie007

Hi All

Just got an email from public jobs asking me if I'm interested in interviewing for Cork. Just emailed them to say Yes ! I'm 00M 40 in the Open Stream after etray.

Just wondering if they acknowledge your expression of interest email ??

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭VitreousLife

I know I seen to ask all the time haha

but any update for Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 WishfullT

I just got a thanks response, but I did get one. You will probably get one shortly. Don’t make the same mistake as me though, when you get the interview details make sure and respond with your photo ID BEFORE the expire date 💪🏻💪🏻💪🏻💪🏻

• Advertisement

Thanks a mil for that advice, appreciate it😊

I wish it was a different email address for the expressions of interest, instead of having to use the one for every inquiry. I've seen people on here who've replied but it's been missed & then there's major panic cos they're being told they're off the panel. Hopefully I'll get an acknowledgement today .

• Registered Users Posts: 30 WishfullT

If it was me, and I didn’t get a response by EOB today I’d said another email over the weekend just asking if they received it.

I know it will be another email into an already full mail box but hopefully it would avoid you having a near heart attack in the future if you thought you were out of the competition, that’s only my 2pence for what it is worth ☺️

I got the acknowledgement 5 minutes ago thankfully !!! I can relax now for the weekend lol. Thanks again.

Sorry if this has been asked! I am awaiting a response from PAS but just in case I don't get it on time I thought I would ask here.

I had an interview for the EO 2020 competition yesterday. I previously applied for CO 2020 but obviously I would prefer EO. Also yesterday I was invited to interview for CO 2020 on October 8th. I will most likely find out if my EO interview was successful before the CO interview date. If I am doing the CO interview I need to confirm and send my application form by Monday. Am I ok to proceed for now and then withdraw if I find out in the meantime my EO interview was successful? I'm not going to be removed from the EO competition if I proceed with the CO one am I? Just want to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭T900i

When you say look for more information do you mean expand on your competency or give another example of the same competence.

In relation to more follow ups could you give an example please

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭2021_AP

They are completely separate so what you do on one will have no bearing on the other

They are essentially just trying to get you to say things they need to hear in order to give you points. One example is for the leadership competency they might ask you to talk about a project you led from start to finish that you are proud of. Then they might ask you a follow-up question like 'How did you handle disagreements in the group?' or 'What criteria did you use to establish the success of the project?' They might also ask something like 'In hindsight would you have done anything differently?' It can feel like an interrogation when they're firing questions at you quickly but they're just trying to help you get the points.

For anyone who has still to do the interview I would recommend looking at the detailed criteria for each competency and fleshing out a specific story that hits on all or most of those points. So for example for delivery of results they will want to see that you had a logical planned approach, planned for contingencies, used people's skills etc, so your story should demonstrate how you did those things. Making a spider plan for each one really helped me. I had one very specific and properly fleshed out example for each competency and a couple of rougher ones as backup.

And remember you can have post-its up around your computer but make sure they're just offscreen so it's not too noticeable when you look at them. Also sounds obvious but it's helpful to have a printed copy of your application form beside you! They will be using that as the basis of their questions so it's good to have it there. Good luck to anyone still do to it!

Got my invite to interview, just confirmed it about 10 mins ago but no confirmation yet - I’d imagine it’s due to the high volume of emails!

best of luck to all!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 CoolroeMan

Been offered a position. However, salary is an issue. And yes I know the salary scales are well known but I was hoping that Private sector experience would be taken into consideration and that, on occasion, a candidate can start on step 4 or 5 of the scales rather than step 1.

Just wondering are there opportunities within the role to move up the scale faster or is just it increases year on year?

Congratulations on your offer! As far as I’m aware only public service experience is counted towards your point on the scale, the same as the HSE and other public bodies. It would be just increases year on year unless you were offered an acting up position or were promoted but there are big pros other than salary depending on the post you are offered. Best of luck whichever way you decide!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭morrism

Hi, Congrats on your offer. I was in a similar position to you and unfortunately you start on the bottom rung, regardless of private sector experience and no matter how well you perform you can only move up the scale on a yearly basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 CoolroeMan

Hi

Many thanks for your reply. I appreciate your advice.

Just a matter of sitting down and weighing up the pros & cons of everything and hope I make the right decision!

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 6 AMEMCM

I've heard a few people recommending to study up and know how you will answer your competency questions based on what's already been included in your initial application form. Can anyone shed some light on what part of your application they would pull from to come up with competency based questions? As far as I remember the application was just general personal details in one form and then education and job experience in the second form.

🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 9 OrlaParkes

Hi everyone

Does anyone know how many were called for interview from Dublin open batch 3. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭2021_AP

Definitely take some time to weigh it up. I was in a similar enough position when I went for CO a few years ago and I decided to take the hit and go for it.

4 years on I have been promoted twice and am just through stage 1 of the latest AP campaign. I have made the paycut back plus some in not a huge amount of time.

So if you think you can take the hit for a few years go for it

Also you skip point 4 and 8 on the scale now so I think in 3 years you would be on 37436

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Sixofone

I was also in a similar position and tried to negotiate - no dice. Although it does feel very low to start with as a previous poster mentioned a couple of points on the scale are now skipped. Also worth bearing in mind that there'll be a lot of retirements at different grades in the next few years so plenty of scope to advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

I had my interview last week… first half of the interview was grand very straightforward, second half I was constantly interrupted to the point I stopped for the first time ever took a drink and gathered myself. Flustered wasn’t the word. I fell down in public service values.. anyway I’m not too worried I felt the rest of the interview went very well and the interruptions are part of it too.

Also I absolutely do not want to get appointed before my increment date anyway as I am a co anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭T900i

how much time do you think we have now to prepare before we are called for interview. I sent my interest to interview back last week and requested and received confirmation of acknowledgment they said they would be in touch shortly re interview

That's great news, congrats !! Can I ask where you're being placed pleased ? I have my interview on 1st October !!

• Advertisement

My interview is next week. I have approximately 11 days to prepare!

Advertisement