Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recording Animal Data - simple Excel File

• 16-09-2021 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,640 ✭✭✭✭

This is an idea I was thinking about today. i want to keep all data on the cattle here, on one simple Excel file. Keep this file synced to the cloud (Onedrive). That way when I am out in the field etc, I can see all the data, birth dates, breeding, when I AI'd cows, dosed them, dehorned calves etc etc all from one simple file. Access will be possible then from the phone anywhere. Other farm records like fertiliser, slurry spreading, I keep in a hardback notebook and it's nice and simple. Animal data though is all about dates, so Excel would be ideal for this.

I know there is HerdWatch, HerdPlus etc, but you have to pay for all these packages. With Excel, I can edit layout as I go. I would start by downloading the Herd Profile from agfood.ie in Excel format and start from there. (I've tried this and it's easy enough.)

I had the vet out here recently and I couldn't tell him, there and then, when I had dosed the cattle last. Has anyone done this and if so what format did you use?

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

I keep an excel on my Google drive with all paddock rotation dates, fertilizer dates & amounts, topping everything really to do with the fields. Even got the slurry man to count the loads he puts out.

I keep it very simple.

For cows, AI & dosing and all that I use Agrinet. Just easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭emaherx

Similar to the previous poster, I keep various excel sheets on cloud drives for fertilizer/spraying etc.

I use Kingswood for cattle records though.

A few years ago I made a Java app for entering data into excel sheets for a work related project. I probably should look at building my own really. Probably the only reason I haven't is the ability to register calves through the app.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Herdapp I find very good, not overly expensive either and can do calf reg on the phone in the shed. Everything in the one spot really. I'm sure what you would like to do is manageable but with herdapp able for all that and linked to agfood and icbf already its handier. Scanning cows the other week and entered it straight on the app, hit calculate and it gave me conception to first service, calving rates, etc.

I'm sure they give a trial period of 30 days as well. Think its a euro a head up to a max of €250, if not maybe someone else may correct me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

I’m doing that currently doing that, just different tabs

Herd Profile, Breeding, Treatment, testing, weights, then I’ve a summary page

You can build it to suit you & your farm, any big changes can be done from PC and updates from phone, you can use filters and lookups

• Registered Users Posts: 3,345 ✭✭✭MfMan

As I've a background in IT, I record all cattle movements, weights, dosages etc. on a DB which I can then access via PHP/webpage on the phone. A basic no-frills thing but it's very handy for checking DOBs, purchase dates, weight readings etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement