Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Recommendations for €8,000

• 16-09-2021 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

Looking to purchase my first car in the next week or two. Have been using my mom's 2015 Fiesta as a named driver for the last year, but it's time to get my own. Only issue I have with the fiesta is it's difficult to overtake with it on non motorway roads, there's just not enough nip to it. I travel from Cork to Limerick/Dublin about twice a month but the car will mostly be used around the city. Would appreciate any recommendations... am looking to go for a petrol, above all I want something that's going to be reliable, I don't want to be spending on repairs, but I also want something nice looking and something that will be on the lower side to tax, insure and run. Leaning towards a 2012/13 i30. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭whomadewho

Toyota Auris petrol hybrid, 420e (third party) for insurance, 180e for tax, and I spend 20e a month on petrol going to the shops and small journeys here and there on petrol. Lovely looking car, and very reliable, you wont go wrong with the Auris.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Old codger

I can only offer you some advice, which is the result of many years experience of buying second hand cars. Firstly if most of your mileage is to be city driving you are right to think petrol. Diesel would be able to give you good miles per gallon at a saving per litre of around 10 cents, but diesel engines do not like short journey times, and suffer damage accordingly if they are not allowed to reach critical engine temperatures. Next thing is your choice of maker and model, and understandably the ones that command the higher prices for a similar year and engine size are the ones that have earned a reputation for trouble free running and a good resale value. In my opinion the nippier small cars are often ones like Peugeot, Renault and Citroen, and they often sell for what seems like a good price, but they also suffer from a variety of mechanical and electrical problems as they age. Generally you will find the really popular cars like Toyota, VW, Hyundai etc are the ones to look for. Never let your heart rule your head and always make sure to get reliable mechanical advice on any car that you are seriously thinking of buying. Don’t call in that advice until you have found a car that seems to tick all your boxes, or you risk annoying your advisor with too many calls on their time. Remember the old adage “ if it seems too good to be true, it probably is.” You may find there is not as much difference in your insurance costs as long as you keep below a 1.6 engine and mpg can often be better from a 1.4 or 1.6 than a 1.0 engine because it doesn’t need to work as hard hauling the same body shell around. Road tax is not a consideration on cars since 2008 as there is very little difference in the rates up to 2.0 L . It’s much better to pay a bit more to get a good car than to pay a lot more to fix lots of hidden problems on what seemed like a bargain on the day you bought it. Good luck with your search.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,550 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Never mind what the poster above said. The French make the best small cars if that is what you want and they are reliable too.

Here is something a little bigger than a Fiesta do and it's a lovely car,

This is a mark 3 Negane and they are well built as well as very reliable plus if something does go wrong it's a lot cheaper to repair as well as service than a Japanese, Korean or German car.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭berocca2016

My most important thing to look for when buying a second hand car is a full service history.

Another thing to note is that it is very hard as a young driver to insure a car over 10 years old. So be careful about looking for a 2012/2013 car as you're touching cloth with the age.

I know its not exactly glamorous or particularly quick. But the below might do the job:

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/nissan-micra-1-2-4dr-5dr/28876380

Or a little bit smaller but unbreakable engine, only 36k on the clock and from a Toyota main dealer:

Do quote yourself for insurance before you do go looking at anything! Also has cruise control which would make motorway driving a lot easier !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭passatman86

Are those aygos as dodgy as the previous shape for being light. I had a few nervous motorway drives with bad cross winds in a 06 reg

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭LillyIsland

Cheers Berocca! I got my licence in 2018 but haven't needed to drive until last year so am actually 24 now getting my first car. Would I be safe with a 2012/13 at this age? Or I am still too young?

Thanks for those two suggestions. To be honest though, I'm open to getting a car that's not the best looking but I don't think I could bring myself to get the Micra or Aygo! Would be more open to the Megane suggested above. And I do feel that I would need something a bit bigger than those for my twice monthly trips to Limerick/Dub..

Perhaps looks is higher up on my list than I originally thought!

But will definitely make sure whatever I go for has a full service history thanks!

I found it hard insuring a 10 year old car when I was 28! The novelty of switching to a newer car and any insurance company quoting you was great !

Also you've a NCT every year once it's 10 years old which is an absolute pain.

Maybe a Corsa ?

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/opel-corsa-opc-line-fresh-nct-low-mileage-70k/28538456

Thanks! Yeah would be open to a Corsa actually. Good point on the NCT too.. Will get some insurance quotes on different cars tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,109 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

A Corsa and especially an Aygo are going to be no better for motorway or long distance driving than a Fiesta. You really need to look at the next size up, like an Auris or Focus, etc. Insurance companies don't just load for engine size exclusively, they take other things like safety features of the car, etc into account too. An Auris or Focus, etc will also be a lot more comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,550 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

You could get a brand new Dacia Sandero for less the 40 euros a week. No need to worry about NCTs or servicing for at least 5 years.

Just an idea.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Except for they still need to be serviced every year and tested every 4 years.

Thanks for the help everyone.

I reckon I'll go with a 2012/13 1.0 ecoboost Focus. Was onto an insurance company today and got a really good quote on a 2013 (they said it's really 15+ year old cars when it gets really expensive to insure). They said this car with it's engine size is ideal for insurance too. Will try to get one sub 100,000km with a full service history.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭chicorytip

A Nissan Note. You could get a later model (2013 - 16) for the kind of money you have at your disposal. It has a 1.2 litre (80bhp) petrol engine which is impressive in terms of performance and fuel economy. Insurance and Tax (€190) should not be punitive. The above also applies to the Nissan Micra but it is not as stylish, spacious or comfortable as the Note.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,109 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I don't think the OP is retired and using it to commute to bingo.

You would be far better off going for a diesel version. The Ecoboost engines are troublesome and guzzle fuel. A 1.6 litre diesel will prove more reliable and fuel efficient and cheaper to tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭almostover

I wouldn't look past a Japanese marque if you want a reliable, economical petrol car.

If you're amenable to a private sale this is a low mileage Auris that looks genuine. Always do a thorough background check on a used car regardless of who is selling it and if at all possible bring a friend or family member who can assess a cars condition competently.

Hyundai and Kia make fine petrol cars also. This will have warranty with the sale if that puts you more at ease!

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/hyundai-i30-2012-1-4-petrol-warranty/29171373

As 90% of my driving is short disatance trips around the city, I think petrol suits me more, thanks though.

Is that true about these ecoboost engines though, anyone?

Cheers, that Auris looks a great car, it's just lacking a bit in the looks department for me unfortunately. If it was the newer design model I'd probably go for it. I really like the Hyundai i30s tbh but I feel the 1.0 ecoboost Focus would be a better option for me than the 1.4 i30 in terms of fuel economy and insurance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭ptyloch

What you need to remember with engines like 1.0 ecoboost from Ford is that they are very small engines with a turbo charger, same as any modern diesel.

If you are looking for low maintenance costs try to stick to engines that don't have a turbo, like the 1.3 Auris posted above.

In general, the modern petrol engines come with a lot of the same problems as the Diesel engines (DPF filters - called GPF in petrol engines, EGR valves, turbo chargers, etc) so the less complicated car you buy the easier on your wallet it should be.

Ah ok thanks for that insight. In that case I think I'll just search daily for a few cars like an Auris, Focus, Golf, i30 and whenever a nice one to go for comes up just go with whatever one that will be.

Says the red lights are gone. Needs a valet. But a 2017 with decent klms

Edit - Id do a cartell check for finance or accident damage

Rekon it will be a focus but still looking at others. Waiting anxiously for the right one to pop up.

A set of wind deflectors, rear tints and alloy wheels and that's a great looking car.

Have since stretched my budget to €11,000 and will likely be putting a deposit on a 2015 i30 tomorrow once I see it.. I'd rather a Focus tbh with reviewers saying it's a nicer less clunky drive but there's just not much out there atm..

Advertisement