Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

A doctor's failure to diagnose cancer.

• 14-09-2021 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭

"A terminally ill Mayo mother who came home from Australia to die has said she feels let down by the Irish health system.

Meabh Feerick from Ballinrobe was diagnosed with advanced and aggressive melanoma, a form of skin cancer, in December 2020, while living and working in Homebush, Sydney. At the time of her diagnosis, 25-year-old Meabh was busy raising her three-year-old son, Noah, and enjoying life in Oz when her world was shattered by a small lump on the back of her scalp.

Maebh said she saw a doctor about the lump at least five or six times over the previous two years, but was repeatedly assured it was nothing more than a wart or cyst. She pushed for further testing as the lump continued to grow and became painful to touch. She was devastated to discover her suspicions were correct when a biopsy revealed the lump to be stage four melanoma and her condition was incurable."

The cyber-attack on the HSE meant that doctors here couldn't access the documentation about Meabh's care in Australia - she had saved it on a USB stick. Her oncologist in Galway told her that she has 3 to 5 months to live.

Meabh said that one nurse in Ireland is doing the work of five nurses in Australia and that she would have had better options if she had stayed in Australia.

But why would a doctor who is regarded as competent - whether in Ireland or in Australia - assume that a lump is only a wart or a cyst? The fact that this catastrophically false assumption took place in Australia puts a question mark on the quality of healthcare in that country.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Housefree

The article is more about the state of the Irish healthcare system, departments/hospitals not talking to each other, long waiting times etc

• Registered Users Posts: 12,356 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Was she diagnosed here or in Australia? doctors are not infallible but if she had to see a doctor 5 times before they did anything, did the doctor not even ask did she want the wart or cysts removed?

It a very sad case.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,078 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Seriously if the general public only realised how poor some of the cancer diagnosis has been in our helth care system they would chance the local vet before the local hospital.

Yes they are only human and can make a mistake but fook me if you make a mistake 3 or 4 times then there is something seriously wrong.

And then to top if off the way they often inform patients, especially women btw, of their as good as terminal diagnosis is fooking astounding if not bothering on downright cruelty.

We were supposed to have start training doctors way back in the late 80s, early 90s in bedside manner and dealing with patients, yet 30 years later you have doctors dropping bombshells on patients in the same manner one would tell them the weather forecast for the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

My pal was misdiagnosed cancer for over 2 year's and was dead within 8 weeks once he got a second opinion, it can happen sadly...

It's a thing with a lot of Irish doctors with young people in there 20's or 30's in Ireland.

If you go to a doctor when your young and say something is wrong physically they'll try to convince you it's in your head or nearly smirk at you and not give you the same level of care or tests as an older person.

You nearly have to force it out of them or request what you want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭political analyst

In the part of the article that I quoted, it says she was diagnosed in Australia.

Except the late diagnosis in this case was in Australia.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

Very sad story, must have been very hard on such a young woman with a young family to hear such devastating news. I worry about the future of our health and mental health services as they seem to be struggling at present and our population is set to be increased in the coming decades I don't know how bad things will get. Thoughts are with her family.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,657 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Yes, the late diagnosis was in Australia.

But the article is about the rubbish quality of care she is receiving here.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,155 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I feel really sorry for the woman, but I feel her anger is misplaced.

She was misdiagnosed in Australia, yet she criticised the Irish system. If she had remained in Ireland, perhaps she would have been diagnosed quicker. Skin cancer is treated more seriously here as the cultural approach in Australia is far different.

She is also extremely unlucky as she came home at the wrong time, just as the Irish health system was devastated by a cyber-attack and understandably, it was quicker to redo the scans than to wait for the system to be fixed and then access her data from Australia.

A very sad story, but misplaced anger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,426 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Huge sympathy for the woman in question but this is a very misleading thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

What are we supposed to be discussing op ,

Yes it's quite a sad story but what is your opinion on something like this .

Yes we are all aware how bad our health services are but this has nothing to do with this ,

The hack was beyond anyone's control it was just bad luck she came back when she did

The cyber-attack is not the reason for this thread - I mentioned her reference to it in order to provide context. In the OP, I asked why a doctor would simply assume that a lump is just a wart or cyst.

But her fate was sealed before she returned to Ireland.

I mentioned what she said about Ireland's health service in order to provide context.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,982 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Context in relation to what? The late diagnosis in Australia, the unprovoked hack, the terminal diagnosis?

Unfortunately, in addition to a cruel diagnosis, she arrived in both the middle of a pandemic and at the time of a criminal hack which affected HSE data systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭jackboy

For something like that you just go to a GP to get a test organised or to be referred on. A doctor is not qualified to diagnose such things by just having a look. A lot of people misunderstand what a GP is and what they are qualified to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,651 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

She should have stayed in Australia. I think this story is possibly missing a significant part. Melanoma usually starts as a discoloured and irregular skin blemish/patch/mole. If it developes past a certain point without being dignosed and metastises, you are finished, it being one of the most aggresive cancers there is. One of the consequences of the latter stages is lumps - tumors - under the skin.

Australia has a very high incidence of Melanoma, and consequently, doctors there are generally acutely aware of the problem and are on the lookout and are hyper-aware, so I wonder if the GP she saw received their medical training overseas. Also, and alternatively, the 'lump' might not have been the original skin tumor, which was elsewhere and was missed, so it didn't look like a melanoma to the DR. Another possibility if it was the original tumor is that it was growing down vertically and was missed because it didn't look the part.

My brother was an Australian living in London. He went to a UK GP about a new and growing skin blemish on his abdomen. He was told it was nothing. It continued and my brother didn't like the look of it and so he went back and asked the GP to cut it out, which he did. The wound wasn't healing properly so the GP injected it with Cortisone. Still not healing properly and likely not looking right, the GP excised a bit more, sent it for analysis and injected more cortisone.

The analysis came back that it was Melanoma. Possibly due to GP gross failures and possibly it was too late by the first GP visit, but my brother was dead within two years. Apparently the original tumor had spread down vertically and so was less obvious than if it had been more horizontal.

I still think to this day that if he had gone to an Australian GP, it might have been more likely to have been recognised and caught in time.

What I meant is that I mentioned it because she mentioned it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Melanomas can be very difficult to suspect if they are not pigmented, i.e. amelanotic melanoma. Various benign cysts are common on the scalp, far commoner than melanoma. A friend of mine in Canada had a scalp melanoma misdiagnosed as benign after it had been removed and sent for pathological exam. All sorts of errors can be made and they are made in every country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

Maybe he diagnosed the lump as a cyst because it looked like a cyst.....

OP....your question is over simplistic

Melanoma is notoriously difficult to diagnose and can masquarade as something benign looking.

Main error is if it was seen by the same doctor several times .... normally this would prompt a referral.

Just because one doctor made a mistake does not mean the whole Australian healthcare system is incompetent

• Registered Users Posts: 26,021 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

The article does not say that the doctor assumed that the lump was only a wart or a cyst. We're not told what investigations or diagnostic procedures were undertaken, or why it wasn't diagnosed as melanoma earlier. Ironically, the only "false assumption" that I can see is the OP's - he assumes that, because the cancer wasn't diagnosed earlier, (a) it could and should have been diagnosed earlier; and (b) the reason it wasn't is because the treating doctor simply assumed, without investigation, that the growth was a wart or cyst. We don't know that either of these things are true.

And, even if they are true, the conclusion drawn ("The fact that this catastrophically false assumption took place in Australia puts a question mark on the quality of healthcare in that country") is unwarranted, or at best can only be warranted in a sense that is so watered-down as to be meaningless. Even granted the OP's assumption, all we've established is that there is at least one doctor in Australia who for at least one patient fallen below acceptable professional standards of competence. If that puts a question mark on the quality of medical care in Australia, I'd be reasonably confident that a similar question mark hangs over the quality of medical care in every country in the world. And that's not particularly surprising, or particularly useful, information to have.

Yes it was in this case.

I am just stating a fact that there have been terrible amount of misdiagnosis of cancer in this country and the attitude of health professionals is often frankly disgusting.

Or perhaps the whole cervical smear testing debacle passed you totally by🙄

Must be a quiet day for Leo & Co you have time to defend the Irish healthcare system yet again.

Skin cancer is treated more seriously in Ireland than Australia ???

Australia has the highest rate of skin cancer in the world and they have made huge strides to try and protect younger generations.

Pass any school in Australia and you will quite quickly see.

What have we done ?

Oh yeah we brought in some rules about sunbeds in 2014.

BTW the Australians were carrying out research on effects of sunbeds decades earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭crossman47

In relation to cervical check, you are making the common mistake of equating screening with diagnosis. The issue there was around screening which will always have false negatives.

In fact the main issue was around failing to tell women that their earlier screening could have given a positive result. What is forgotten however is that these were all women who were already being treated for cancer and whose earlier screenings were then audited. This communication error had no effect on their treatment. The Minister, other politicians and the media all raised unnecessary fears among women by not explaining this clearly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

How is anyone on Boards supposed to be able to answer that?? Maybe the Aussie Dr training isn't up to scratch. Or maybe it looked like a wart or a cyst?

I just used the cervical check as an example of cancer mis-diagnosis.

Ok you call it screening, or whatever you want, but the end results were that some women could have been treated much earlier so don't try the cr** about how it had no effect on their outcomes.

And false negatives are one thing, multiple false negatives for the one patient are another thing.

The way some absolutely terrible prognosis was communicated to some patients was bordering on sadistic.

A fooking vet would have been better at it than some of these so called very well educated medical professionals.

And it is not just cervical that has cock ups with terrible mis diagnosis.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,828 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

I had a friend who was misdiagnosed twice in Ireland. He died 6 months after he was correctly diagnosed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭rock22

There isn't a test in the world that doesn't have false negatives.

SHould our health services no longer use tests until scientists can create the 'perfect test' i.e. one with no false negatives or false positives?

If this is the case why were some women awarded millions of euros in compensation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

No screening program is perfect. That’s how the the world is. Error can be reduced but it cannot be eliminated.

Advertisement