Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What's the scariest experience you have been through?

Options
  • 15-09-2021 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭

Everything is fair game

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Deregos.

Theres been a few but the first one that springs to mind was driving from Dublin Airport to Longford during that 'beast from the east' blizzard/lockdown/curfew a few years back with my wife . . . Slowest, longest, white knuckle ride of my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Getting stuck on a train tracks when I was a kid. It was a bit like that scene from Stand By Me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭BobHopeless

In hospital few years ago for an operation. When I woke up in the ward the late late show was blaring from the communal TV and because of the drugs I couldn't move.

I wouldn't wish that on anyone

Coming home from the hospital with my petite partner who had just given birth and a few hours later her suddenly bleeding all over the place. Turned out to be "benign" and all was ok. But it was terrifying.

My brain freaks out with heights and always had. So I made myself do all kinds of bungee and parachute jumps. That was terrifying. Phobias bypass all your rationality and just insert terror directly into every sub system of your brain. Even when you know it is ridiculous.

That - or social situations where one must navigate the world of neo-pronouns. Hair greying terror that stuff is. What if Twitter comes for me!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

I have always had a fear of getting sick, so these covid times have been the scariest.

Apart from that, walking through an American airport when I heard some loud bang of some sort and everyone was ordered to freeze and not move. My heart was racing thinking was I going to get caught up in a terrorist attack. It all turned out ok in the end but I don't know what caused it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,526 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Sorry, but is your petite partner the younger one or is one of them, you know, bigger?

The tide is turning…

30 at the time of giving birth - an entirely a normal age for child birth. By petite I mean that as someone who is physically a bit smaller than the national average - the birth caused complications that were not noticed at the time until we got home and suddenly things went dramatically wrong.

It was the most terrifying hours of my life - so much worse for her too. Physically smaller women can have a higher propensity to birth related complications I guess. Thankfully as dramatic as it looked at the time - The original Carrie movie springs to mind - the actual issue itself was relatively minor and easily treated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭seenitall

Losing the little one in Penney’s. Most parents will know the story. There is a time when they are 2 to 3 years old when they will just suddenly bolt and disappear on you at every smallest opportunity they get and then you are suddenly left sweating bullets and searching the premises in absolute head throbbing panic. The feeling is indescribably horrible, I really did feel like time stood still and like my conscious self was outside my body somehow. Ugh, even the memory is making me quesy now. Luckily she was to be found entertaining the shop assistants within some 10 minutes, if that, but it was the longest and most painful 10 minutes of my life.

Oh and I also lost her in an airport, in an open space she was suddenly gone into thin air. Then I spot the only thing there, the back of an escalator, and sure enough, by the time I got to the front of it, she was already on her way up, lying on the stairs upside down!

She’s 15 now. No more babies for me! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭corglass

That sounds scary as hell. What make it car was it, do you remember?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,907 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Spent the night in a mobile home literally 30 metres from the Atlantic coast during Storm Ellen last year. The walls were bending and flexing for 8 hours from the 100km/h-plus winds, and the noise was horrendous and relentless. I didn't sleep a wink - spent the night looking at the Windy app, watching the swirling arrows, willing willing the storm to move on. Had the car keys clutched in my hand in case the whole thing came crashing down around me so I wouldn't have to find them in the rubble. Mobile home survived fully intact, so I really wasn't in any danger, but it didn't feel that way at all.

Another time I was on a RIB (boat) in Doolin, as a trainee diver, going out for a scuba dive with some very experienced folk. Wind picked up something terrible just as we left the pier. Suddenly there was a massive swell, and we had to turn back. As we turned, a 3 metre wave came in and was about to hit us side-on, when the coxin just hammered the throttle and jumped the wave. I was sitting on the pontoon and obviously wan't holding on properly, because suddenly I was up in the air looking down on the rest of the crew, who were down below looking up at me. Luckily I crashed down into the boat, between the pontoon and the rack for the dive bottles. I was a couple of inches from ending up in the water and having the helicopter out to rescue me. We managed to make it back into the pier by timing it just right in between the waves.

They were the only two times I was actually really scared for my safety. Next one is more on the emotional fear side.

A few years ago, my at the time healthy and very independent Dad checked himself into Beaumont Hospital. Said he wasn't feeling well during hot spell of weather, and got a taxi up to A+E. Turns out he had a heart attack. He called me the next day and I immediately travelled across the country to see him. Next morning I went up to the hospital in the morning to see him again. He was dressed, but asleep on his bed. It was a very warm summers day, and all the men in his room were napping, so I decided to head up to the supermarket up the road to get him some stuff and leave him to rest. When I got back 45 minutes later, he wasn't on the bed. His jacket and bag were there. Waited a few minutes, no sign of him. Asked the nurses - they didn't know where he was. Called his mobile, no answer. Texts, no answer. More calls, no answer. Nurses got concerned. I, they and security searched the hospital and the grounds.

I remember sitting outside the main entrance, alone and in panic, and everywhere I looked I saw tall, grey haired men with glasses and blue shirts and beige slacks exactly like him. But none of them were him. I won't go into the whole story of what happened then, but suffices to say that he had basically lost his mind to vascular dementia, and wandered off into Dublin city centre. When we got him back later in the day, he was never the same again. He spent the next 6 months in the hospital, then just over a year in a nursing home before dying from Covid last May. The whole 20 month experience of his illness, decline and death was awful, but that few hours of him being missing was terrifying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

mushbroom trip from hell

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Family day out at the beach, about 4 families together, so say 12 kids. all under 10. I'm in the shallow water with about six of the bigger ones. Among about ten million other kids. Suddenly I spot that one of my kids is missing. Send his older brother back to the group to get other parents over, while I shepherd the remaining kiddies out of the water. "Stand THERE! DON'T MOVE. STAY TOGETHER" . Now I watching some of the other adults running my way, so that's grand , they can look after the little group I just petrified into stasis. I run back to the water. Search, search, search. Nothing. So far, no bodies floating in the water. Strangers join the hunt. Nothing. Right, he's obviously (huh) not in the water. Right - the rest of the beach. I run the length of it, at least a kilometre looking into the water. Then back up along the dunes. No joy. Back to the group at the waters edge, where one of the mothers has the kids on their knees saying prayers. Now I'm not into criticising anyone asking the almighty for help, but that's AFTER we do our bit. At this point I look back to where our picnic blankets etc were, and I notice there's something odd. I take off like a rocket, and as I approach, I see the missing child sitting on his auntie's lap. Big smirk on his face.

The most frightening part of all this was that I was continually scanning the group in the water, and it only took about 30 seconds from seeing him to not seeing him. Probably, if I'd looked behind me I'd have seen him walking out of the water, but my first thought was that he was under the water in front of me amongst all the horseplay. When I was really certain that he wasn't in the water, my major concern was that he'd be wandering the beach in terror trying to find us. Or that he'd walk out onto a busy road or train tracks. At no point was I worried that he'd been kidnapped or whatever. You just never hear of it, except on telly somewhere else.

Someone once pointed a rifle at my face. We all knew assumed it wasn't loaded, but my insides turned to liquid. I was tempted to report him, have his licence revoked.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,569 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Alcoholism - very nearly didn’t make it out alive...

A few other instances which were as frightening as hell but one that comes to mind was a horrific descent into Dublin airport with my late dad on a flight from London in a Winter storm about 30 years ago, in my teens.

Unbelievable turbulence and passengers on the airplane screamed and cried it was so bad. Huge cheer when we finally landed.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Steve012

Ditto.. except not shrooms, heavy LSD back in the early 90's such a bad trip.. had been well used to acid at that stage, thing was.. when I woke up late the next afternoon, (after an all nighter) I woke up still tripping out of my head.. this time It wasn't just bad, it was plain dark and very sinister, large black shadows wouldn't leave me alone, had to ring mates to try an help me... but they were all still tripping to fck, we met up smoked h*sh and drank beer... it did nothing to take us down just bounced off us.. When I got home that night, my aul lad kicked me out bags packed walking in the rain at 2am... still out of my nut.. tree's stretching their branches out to hit me as I walked past. Was a pretty narly experience, I've had bad trips but nothing like this and it kept going.. Circa 1993

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Steve012

Well done for getting thru alcohol addiction!! big up man, lost many people to the booze, bravo man 👏🏽

• Registered Users Posts: 9,543 ✭✭✭billyhead

Myself and my brother and Aunt were in a pub on New Year's Eve one year and my Aunt decided to ring in the New Year in another village a few miles up the road. It was a cold night and the roads were icy. She was driving and was a bit of a speedster to say the least. Anyway on the way to the village we were going around a bend and the the car skidded and crashed through the wall of a bridge and was hanging off the side of a bridge facing a river just below. Passers by came to our aid and tilted and pushed the car back into safety onto the road. I thought we were fucked when the car crashed through the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭passatman86

After I was at a bohs v rovers match went back to the car to drive home. We all got into the car and 5 seconds later 2 men walk up to the passenger window asking for directions. As the driver gave directions i seen one of the men had a gun behind his back. I was maybe 10 years old and started pinching the driver whispering drive drive drive. Someone else then told the driver to drive and he did - but when i looked back at the 2 men the fella had the gun pointed at us as if ready to fire it. We talked about it on the drive home and the passenger beside me was an oulfella and he seen the gun and reckoned it was real.

Other times i was scared has to be when i was in 3 separate cars that flipped onto their roofs. On the 3 occasions the cars where taxed insured and tested

Lived in the Balkans for a while, every single day I got into the jeep to drive around was terrifying!

Scary drivers over there, particularly the Albanians. I have been pushed out of the way by other vehicles and watched drivers speed straight across roundabouts. I played 'chicken' with oncoming overtaking drivers constantly, they always won!

I'm actually very proud of myself for getting through without ever crashing!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

I had horrendous turbulence 1 hour out of Atlanta in April 2015 on an overnight flight back to Dublin. We were heading up the east coast of the US but over water from the map. The cabin was banging (think it was the overhead bag compartments). The pilot was having to fight the plane a bit with the engines getting power reduced and then back on again to change altitude and speed. A few screams on board at time with the jolting. Horrendous stress which last 45 mins.

Losing my daughter this morning for 10 long minutes on the way to school & having to race around a multitude of housing estate roads trying to find her in a panic. She disappeared in what felt like 20 seconds. She somehow managed to get to the school happy out with a bunch of other parents with her.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,810 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Was just on a flight last night from Toronto to Winnipeg. Had started decent as was about 30 mins out. With no pre-shudders or warning the the whole plane must have dipped about 10 feet. I was buckled in but legit my arse left the seat. This was followed by about 15 seconds of lesser shaking and turbulence. There was some more minor turbulence on approach and at one point it seemed like the plane banked about 10 degrees to the left before leveling again.

I've flown quite a bit and been in mild to moderate turbulence and never been scared until last night. It was such that I over heard the steward commented on it when we landed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Motivator

Lived in Boston for a couple of years and got the last train home one night which was my first mistake. Lived in an ok part of the city but if you’re alone on certain trains you’re asking to be picked off. I got off at my stop and had a 15 minute walk back to my apartment with a lonely enough shortcut through a park. The park was notorious for muggings as people left the bright station they were easily spotted by guys laying in wait in the dark.

I got through the park ok but knew I was being followed. Got halfway home and Sod’s law not one car or person passed and I knew I was going to be in a bit of trouble and the two guys were just waiting their chance. Behind my apartment building there was a communal car park that was shared between my building and 4 others. I got to the alleyway leading to the car park and absolutely sprinted, my feet barely touched the ground. I got into the car park and jumped in under a bench. The two guys checked under 50 or 60 cars looking for me before heading off out the other alleyway on the other side and I scuttled up into my apartment through the fire escape.

About half an hour after I got home there was a young lad stabbed by two guys on the opposite walk down to the park by the train station. They never mugged him just randomly stabbed him. He was after finishing work and was walking home. I felt guilty about it for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Here's another scary one...

On hols in Palma Nova with family, my kids were aged 6-10. We all went down poolside upon arrival. I took a walk around, just to see if there was anything the kids might like. On an upper level was a kiddies paddling pool. It wasn't dug out, but rather a large square concrete 'bath' filled with water. The water was about 2 feet deep and it was full of toddlers. Some parents sat on the side with their feet in the water, playing with their toddlers.

So, I happen to glance towards the centre and I see a child in one of those rubber rings. My immediate thought was " that's dangerous" and continued walking. I walked about five paces and looked back at the child, only to see a rubber ring with two legs sticking up in the air. Fully clothed I jumped over the little wall and splashed violently across to the baby and dragged her by one leg spluttering up out of the water. No one else had seen this until they saw the mad man running through the water. I started asking who were the parents, and the group of about 10 mammies said it was not their baby. So I carried the baby round the surrounding area and found the parents sitting at tables drinking, with their backs to the pool. I patiently explained what had transpired, to be met with howls of drunken derision. I told them this was why I NEVER left my small children unaccompanied in a rubber ring. All the while I'm still holding the baby. Eventually the mother comes out and takes the baby from me. Unbelievable. It was far scarier than it sounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

earthquake, 5000 killed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Merrion

Caught up in the Coup d'état in Cameroon as a child whilst my mother was in hospital. We were rescued and brought to the embassy by the balls-of-steel ambassador who drove around the capital city in the midst of the fighting to pick up all the uncontacted UK nationals. Don't remember much in detail though.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,339 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

A trip to Skellig Michael in very bad sea conditions. A lot of people with sea sickness and the boat rolled very badly for the entire journey. I ended up with serious back pain.

This was then followed up by a very scary descent down the uneven steps of the Skelligs in very windy conditions. At the very top, a gust of wind caught the camera that was around my neck and I nearly went over the edge. I had to descent the steps on my bum to what is called Christ's Cradle and put the camera in the backpack. Properly shat myself descending the rest of the way after that scare, really thought that my number might be up.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

@ nicknickelby - did they at least say thanks or acknowledge you?

Post edited by fryup on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Scary dreams that happened in reality.

Xmas night 2004 I dreamt i was on a beach and suddenly a massive tidal wave started coming towards the shore and everyone started panicking and running trying to get away. Woke up the next morning to the news that thousands of people had been killed from a tsunami in the Indian ocean.

Late 80s I dreamt of being on a boat at night with lights from buildings all around the water. Suddenly something happened and people were panicking and jumping into the water. Woke up the next morning to the news that 2 boats collided in the river Thames that night and a number of people had been killed.

Dec 88 dreamt of some big explosion in the night sky. It was like big red flashes across the sky and then a short time later what looked like a mushroom cloud explosion in the distance. People were in the streets fearfull and wondering what happened. The Lockerbie air bombing was on the news the next day. A man was was being interviewed on TV the following night describing what people saw . It was exactly like in my dream ,red flashes and a mushroom cloud explosion in the distance.

Early 90s had an odd dream about Holland, I had never been there or had any desire to go there. Woke up the next morning and thought it very odd. Listening to the news when I got up it said that 2 trains collided during the night in Holland ,30 people killed.

Dreamt one night about 20 yrs ago of some man who died in hospital. In my dream the surname of O,Riley was coming through in my dream for some reason . Woke up thinking it was very odd. On the radio that morning it said an Irish journalist with a surname of O,Riley died during the night in hospital (cant remember his first name) but I had never heard of him before.

The night before 9/11 i woke up in the middle of the night and was overcome with a feeling of dread that something bad was going to happen. If I wake up during the night I fall back to sleep after a minute or 2 but this night I couldn't get back to sleep for about an hour and a half.

All coincidence or something else? I will never know. Maybe in some way with my mind being in a relaxed state due to being asleep i was somehow able to tap into these events ,with whatever emotions etc that were being released and that we are all connected in someway or other???

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,569 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Took LSD a few times in my college years, between 1993 and 1997 - mostly good trips.

Last time I took it with a good mate in 1997 we were tripping off our tits for about 20 hours. At first it was fun, but then it just got too intense and went on for far too long. Felt like an eternity - we were very edgy and stressed and just wanted it to end. That was the last time I ever touched acid.

A girl we used to know on the clubbing scene in Dublin basically never came down off an acid trip - ended up in psychiatric hospital for a year and was very messed up afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 maeve99

Hallucinogens aren't toys. A lot of people get the idea that because LSD, magic mushrooms, cannabis etc.. aren't addictive, that there's little to no harm. Not true. Most people can take them without issues but in people with underlying issues, they can trigger a complete psychotic break.

Advertisement