Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pizza ovens

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭Comerman

I may search again muahahaha, I only saw the koda 16 for 500.

https://eu.ooni.com/products/ooni-koda-16

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

oh sorry my bad, was getting the price of the 12 mixed up with the 16. In that case it seems to be 500 for Ooni vs 450 for the Roccbox with the Ooni potentially being available at 400 (20% discount) on Black Friday, so either way the difference is only 50 euro. The Roccbox comes with a 5 year warranty compared to the Oonis 3 years which is an advantage though given they have no moving parts and are made from stainless steel that shouldnt rust Id wonder what can really go wrong with them (except for the stone cracking but they can be replaced cheap enough). The Roccbox claims it is restaurant/commercial grade but the sales blurb doesnt seem to go into any detail on what that actually means, from what I can see both of them are made with 304 food grade grade stainless steel. Maybe the Roccbox has better insulating properties or something but for domestic use the Ooni is more than adequate.

The Roccbox does come with a pizza peel though which the Ooni does not. From the specs the Roccbox is 315 x 340mm cooking area which is smaller than the 16 inch Ooni so thats a consideration too. The Roccbox has the option of adding a wood burner (extra 100 euro) which the Koda does not, if you wanted to ever use wood you'd have to get a Karu instead for the option to use wood.

Given the prices are reasonably similar Id say your choice comes down to mainly aesthetics and which one you prefer the look of. For me the Ooni wins there, it just looks like a nicer design. Whatever one you go for though they are both going to get up to 500 degrees with both delivering excellent pizza. So I think Id go with the Ooni, especially if you can get it for 400 on Black Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭Comerman

Excellent reviews muahahaha 👍 the ooni was my first choice originally so I'll stick with that all going well 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 17,622 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Looking at a Ooni Frya for christmas, everything ive seen there doesn't seem to be much of a downside to the pellets vs gas, is this true?

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Pete123456

Gas is very convenient because once you connect the bottle and light it, you don’t need to manage it, you can also turn up, down and off the flame as required. I’ve heard you need to more or less constantly feed pellets to get up to and stay at temperature. Probably easier source propane in a hurry over decent pellets also. I have a Koda and I think I would find the pellets a bit gimmicky. I like the idea of timber, so if I do end up getting a karu sixteen I may try timber a few times but I will buy the gas attachment either way.

One other thing is you don’t need to wait for the fire to go fully out before the oven can d add start to cool down

As for flavour, you won’t taste any difference I can assure you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Newtown90

I got my Frya last November/December.

Go for it, it's great fun and learning how to make good bases is too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,622 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Yeah I get all that the only issue is i plan to use the portability of it a fair bit and would rather not have to lug a gas cannister around everywhere i go with it so the pellets seems like a better option if the only issue as you say is a bit more active managing of the heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Pete123456

Ah yeah that’s fair enough. I will say you can get a small 5kg bottle - I would say if you’re gonna lug the oven somewhere with a peel etc it shouldn’t be much more hassle to bring the gas but I get what you mean. They’re not light by any means!

When I was on pellets I didnt mind the constant topping up and fire tending in the summer when I was out sitting in the garden anyway. It was in winter when it became a bit of a pain becasue I wasnt going to sit outside in 2 or 3 degrees for 20-25 minutes topping it up when needed. Thats when gas can be really convenient, you only go out once to turn it on for pre heat and then once more to actually cook the pizza.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭scarepanda

We have a karu, so slightly different. Personally I prefer the taste when we use wood/charcoal to cook but it does take minding and we'd mainly only use it if it was for ourselves and we were in no rush between pizzas. Gas however is far handier in terms of not having to mind it. If your cooking a few pizzas that you want out quickly like if you have a few friends over or whatever gas is definitely the easiest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

Have one of these , heater elements top and bottom

Is it going to be hot enough to make pizza from scratch ?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 12,413 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

No idea it's been here for years in storage

It cooks the frozen pizzas pretty quick that's all I know

Sure I suppose all I can do is make a bit of dough and try it

Im sure itll work but if it doesnt get hotter than a normal oven then just use the oven!

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Wisesmurf

The taste difference may be placebo I think. In 90 seconds the fuel isn't going to impart much flavour. I say that as a gas and pellet Ooni owner and had 2 on the go beside each other a few times. Gas hands down is more convenient than wood - also cleaner, instant and no messing with pellets.. A few times i've travelled with the gas version ive just happened to have access to propane with mobile home or camp site (5kg)

99% of the time I use it at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

I have a Karu with gas attachment. My experiences of gas and wood are different to yours. I find the wood more convenient, easier to use, and much more reliable. I don't find the gas gets hot enough either. Tops out at 400-420 for me at the centre of the stone (which Ooni say is as design)

The wood 100% adds flavour. Think about how your clothes smell after 1 waft of smoke. Same with the dough.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭bamayang

What temp should stone be before pizza going on? It was reading 420 at the back and maybe 320 at the front, after about 15 minutes lighting (gas).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,292 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

400 degrees, anywhere on the stone, seems to be the magic number when it comes to temperature.

Ooni are putting their prices up for the US market, they said they are not planning it for the EU market at the moment but fair warning that it could happen at some stage. The price of shipping and matierals is what they are blaming it on

At least they are giving notice of the price rise to allow people who planned to buy an Ooni to avoid it. Still they're getting expensive, the Koda 12 is the entry level for most people and thats heading up to $399 in the US

• Advertisement

I just threw the yeast in with all the ingredients for the dough ?

Will it make any difference that I didn't mix the yeast with water first ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭Pipmae

It depends on the yeast. What one did you use. There is fast action, instant dry, etc, etc. What does the packaging say?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,182 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Ooni are putting their prices up for the US market, they said they are not planning it for the EU market at the moment but fair warning that it could happen at some stage. The price of shipping and matierals is what they are blaming it on

might be a canny move to get some people to order now who might otherwise have waited till black friday - i.e. spread the orders out a bit so they're not completely swamped that day? or maybe the timing is just coincidental.

yeah maybe canny timing. They said it was becasue of increased shipping costs and matierals. Im not sure if they have a plant in the US, they might all be made in Europe and then shipped to the US

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭zedhead

Need some advice. We are getting on great with our Koda 16 but we are finding that we are getting a lot of residue on the stone after the first pizza which is inevitablly resulting in over char on the base of all the other pizzas. The first one is always perfect.

Its definitely not a result of holes in the dough/sauce or cheese getting on the stone as there are no holes when the pizza comes out. We have reduce the amount of flour on the peel to just what is necessary to stop it sticking.

Ideally there would be something that we could use to brush out out between pizzas, but it is just so hot in there we would worry any tool would melt or burn? Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭dmc17

I usually just scrape the stone with the peel in between letting any residue fall off the back. It's a fyra though, so may be different.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭nomoedoe

Use fine semolina when launching instead of flour,and flip the stone over each time you start it up that helps too.

We tried fine semolina and that was much worse. It caught fire almost immediately and was a disaster. Will try flipping the stone each time.

• Advertisement

We did try scraping with the peel but because of the gas flames there isnt really any where for it to go, plus not too much came off with the peel. A brush would be ideal but again we have the heat issue.

Advertisement