Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dealer hasn't paid vrt 4 weeks later

• 13-09-2021 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭

Hi just looking for some advice here with an issue.

It's a long story but will try keep it short...

I purchased a car from a small dealer who isn't Simi registered. The car is a UK import and in my eagerness to get the car I took it off him before the plates were changed and agreed to go back to him to get the plates changed a week later. Showed up a week later and after leaving the car he said the system is down in the next centre and will have to do it again another time.

Since then VERY bad communication and it transpires he received the wrong v5 form and we are currently waiting on the new v5 to arrive in the post.

Is there anything here to worry about as in what problems with the v5 could he be trying to hide?

Should I hand the car back and run or am I safe to wait a while longer?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Zylias

If it was me I'd go hand the car back, you've given him 4 weeks to sort the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭User1998

SIMI or not makes no difference. Is the garage reputable? Long established? Could be an honest mistake but a new v5 could take weeks to arrive. Whats the situation with insurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,201 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

After 40 days I believe insurance will want Irish plates or at least be asking questions so I'd use this as a very struck cut off. Tell him straight up that you are returning the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 80,798 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn

He should have never given you the car without the VRT process being complete, whole thing is a complete and utter mess now. Is he an actual registered business or someone operating a 'showroom' from the lawn outside his house?

How would he receive the 'wrong' V5, there's only once such document for each car.

When the insurance company needs to make the declaration to Revenue the risk of seizure will be high.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,136 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Sorry OP but this is a masterclass in how not to buy an import. Receiving the 'wrong V5' document would set alarm bells ringings, for sure. The car 99% would have had the correct V5 with whoever brought it in originally.

If the dealer is genuine return the car, ask for your money back and conclude the deal when they have everything sorted out. The longer you leave it the more likely you will find yourself in an even bigger mess, struggling to get a replacement V5, unable to VRT a car that you have paid for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭dinnybyrne

Thanks for the replies folks, he's more of an importer than a garage.Im going to hand it back Friday if he doesn't have it sorted by then. Looks like we have reached the limit of trust

• Registered Users Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Squatman

Just in case it doesnt actually go without saying. Dont ever buy a car like this again. This puts a whole load of implications on you, and the trader has now go no motiviation to hand over cash to get it VRT'd. If im not mistaking, the car is needed at the NCT centre as part of teh VRT process anyway. The risk here is that he will abscond with your money, and if questions are asked he can say "sold as seen", "Dinny wanted a northern/english reg car. dunno why" maybe dont wait till friday

• Registered Users Posts: 9,611 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Sold as seen won't apply in this case however as legally he has to VRT it prior to sale regardless of anything. Obviously a call to Revenue if he refuses to do so would prove very uncomfortable for him and the future of his business.

Dealers that go on like this are pretty sure to be selling you a dodgy car as well as a paper work nightmare.

I'd have 20 quid with anyone that this is either a right off or clocked. It could be far worse of course, it could be stolen, cloned etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,060 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Probably isn't even a registered motor trader as they would be legally required to VRT and register it on Irish plates before letting it's new Irish resident owner take it.

• Advertisement

what would be tying him to having owned the car in the first place?

I used to work in Revenue, they'd enjoy taking a look at something like that. And you'd find plenty to tie him to it. Large unexplained cash transactions, banking records, phone records, bidding records at auctions and thats not getting into him having trade accounts etc.

And don't forget they enjoy nothing more than parking up and watching their premise to see whats going in and out.

There a very good reason UK reg cars for sale at the side of the road is now mostly a thing of the past.

OP, how did you pay for the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭dinnybyrne

I would rather not give too much information on the sale. There is still a very real possibility the trader is genuine and just made a balls of things. Ill update you as it progresses.

I used to work in mcdonalds. why is that relevant?😅

Just showing I wasn't pulling it out of my back side when I said it would be easy enough to link him to the car which was your question. But cheers for the knobish reply.

I was just going to suggest if it was in cash and he said something along the lines of "good luck proving it", you'll most likely have bank records of a cash withdrawal and a car of similar value there which would prove more than useful to revenue. I would advise if you've not already done so to find a cache copy of the ad online.

Obviously, I'd very much hope this is all completely unnecessary and it's all straightened out.

Also, don't worry long term about the V5 presuming it's not stolen or written off. If you know someone up North you could arrange for them to import the car back to NI. This will involve an inspection of the car and a new V5 will be issued to the other person who can then pass it on to you. Not ideal but at least you can get around the problem.

no problem, was there many bins to empty in there?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Aly Daly

Take a scenario where the seller of the car will not give money back our provide a V5, the Op will have to go through the hoops of getting a replacement V5 & present the car to revenue for a Vrt assessment & pay Vrt. What about import vat owed, will he have to pay it given he has already paid vat on the original sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,214 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

• Registered Users Posts: 80,798 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn

But he also wasn't allowed sell a UK reg car in the State to start with, catch 22. The fear of Revenue auditing him may make him see the errors of his ways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,214 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Would that apply if he was selling it "privately"?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭User1998

Yes. I’ve had revenue arrive at my door posing as potential customers when selling a UK reg car. They told me to VRT it and then sell it

Ya. It's illegal to sell a UK registered car in Ireland.

If the op is still waiting on this dealer to come good, they are very foolish

how did you get on op?

Advertisement