Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

I have a brilliant idea for a new Star Trek show. It literally only came to me. Who do I talk too?

Options
  • 14-09-2021 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,560 ✭✭✭✭
    Ms

I think I might call it Star Trek New Galaxy. It would be based in the 27th Century on a Transspeedgalaxy warp ship. This ship could cover the vast distance between Galaxy's whitin 2 weeks. We would have a whole new ship crew to get to know as well as the new ship to get to know.

Stargate done it so why shouldn't Star Trek? It would be the perfect way to introduce new and wacky Aliens and worlds as well of plenty of cool ships and sure exploring this new Galaxy should not take that long with a ship that can go from one Galaxy to another just like that. The possibility's are endless. This is where the Star Trek Franchise should be going not doing prequels all the time but going forward and going further than anyone has ever gone before.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,248 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Ermmm Voyager...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭Evade

I think two weeks is a little too short to get to another Galaxy, if you take the distance to the closest galaxy to ours that's the equivalent of doing Voyager's 70,000 light year journey in less than 10 hours. I think being less than a day away from anywhere in the galaxy makes it a little too easy, you'd need some kind of limitation to make exploration worthwhile.

That said, throw in a bunch of new characters with no pre-existing ties to anyone else and I'd give it a chance. No more prequels or disappointing sequels.

So Picard ripped off the Mass Effect trilogy and you want them to rip of Mass Effect: Andromeda???

At least we would get some closure on the Andromedans, from TOS.

Instead of another Galaxy you could have them exploring the Magellanic Clouds. Closer and smaller than full sized Galaxies and small enough that they could be home of a single antagonistic race

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 15,560 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Voyager was in the same Galaxy just a different sector. Voyager was in the Delta Quadrant while most of what we know in Star Trek is in the Alpha Quadrant except for the Wormhole at DS9 that went to the Gamma Quadrant but they are all part of the Milky Way Galaxy in Star Trek. No one has ever gone to another Galaxy although Kirk and his crew nearly did.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,560 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I know but they could do it in 3 weeks in Stargate with there primitively designed ships so a Star Trek era ship should be able to do it quicker.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭Evade

The Asgard helped them design the engines and it was powered by an Ancient built ZPM. That aside they're very different universes, Stargate is much more sparsely populated and only has around a dozen sapient races in each galaxy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,212 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Interesting concept. But bit of a different style of Sci fi to make that happen. The closest you'd get in the Star Trek Universe to what you propose is ripping off Mass Effect Andromeda or usuing that Voyager catapult thinge to fire ships to distant parts of the Milky Way to explore strange new worlds.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,822 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

This is sort of what I hate about the basic premise of Discovery - even before we get into all the bad writing etc. They take the exploration out of exploring with their anywhere-instantly spore drive. The fact that space travel is hard, and takes ages to get anywhere is kind of a big part of the point of the whole thing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,321 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Think about the benefits of going to a completely different Galaxy though. The aliens would have weird pointy heads in a whole new way.

Or more seriously, that sort of detail is just the background to the actual stories. It wouldn't offer much more capacity for storytelling than they've already had available and explored.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

I'm surprised that the Iconian network of Gateways wasn't explored (pun intended) in greater detail over the different series. I think the 'Star Trek Online' game used them as antagonists. Though the premise might stray way too close to Stargate.

• Advertisement
Advertisement