Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to look for when buying a used bike?

• 14-09-2021 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭

I am planning on going to go across country to view a very nice looking used bike at the weekend and hopefully go for a little spin on it.

What would you recommend that I look out for with a used bike?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Check for play or any crunching/friction in the headset and bottom bracket, check over the frame for any cracks, bring it for a spin and shift through most of the gears and make sure there's no grinding or chain hopping, if it has rim brakes check the braking surface and see how much life is left on it, check that the wheels run true when spun (no buckles or dish etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,265 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

check the serial numbers on the frame (get a photo before you travel preferably ) see if hey have receipts for the bike

then check for play in headset bottom bracket and wheel bearings, check gear/brake operation

undo quick releases and check axles, last secondhand bike i bought had a loose freehub and broken axle which needed a new rear wheel - not problem with the price i was paying as the rest of the bike was fine.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,194 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Do you have a chain wear checker? If so bring that, if the chain is badly worn it could need more than just a new chain.

Advertisement