Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

From a Christmas Pudding to a Christmas Cracker - Weight Loss Motivation

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,992 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Trousers are unforgiving. You could probably get a stretchy pair to fall back on when you’re “bulking” 😅

Some going man. I’m going 5 or 6 times a week at the moment when I can. The only reason I keep going back is it’s only 35mins. Any more than that and I’d struggle to motivate myself. I feel guilty if I don’t go any day now

• Registered Users Posts: 10,094 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Didn't get down after training tonight as we had to rearrange fixtures, pitches and throw in times with the age groups under and over our one. Will get down tomorrow for another 1k cal session though.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭Jude13

01 Sept, going to do a dry month like last year (which turned in to 3.5 months dry). Have a client lunch today which I will order a nice salad at. I have my gym gear in the car. I still can't run, do squats or deadlifts as my metatarsal is still too sore plus my shoulder is at me.

Had the dog barking at a cat at about 2am, then the little onw in at 5 to tell me she needed a nappy change. Pretty tired today.

Gym good, food good (during the week anyway) I woke up this morning starving so if the scales weren’t down I’d have been annoyed. Thankfully they were. Down 2 weeks in a row which is great. Next week will be a big test because since I’ve started this log I’ve never lost 3 weeks in a row 🙈

6 months: -7.6lbs

Week 27: -2.0lbs

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Week 1: -3lbs

Week 2: -2.5lbs

Week 3: -4lbs

Week 4: +1.5lb

Week 5: -3lbs

Week 6: -0.5lb

Week 7: -3lbs

Week 8: +2.5lbs

Week 9: -2.5lbs

And my hotel break away gain is gone. My 10 PT sessions are finished now. So I’m on my own and in terms of keeping myself accountable. I’ll still be going to the classes and hopefully I can keep the food on track without the dread of a weigh in with a PT.

• Advertisement

So jealous of all the losses, well done everyone.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Top work guys, keep it up.

Serious work Loughc.

I had the physio this am and had dry needling done. I can now lift my arm above my head!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭tscul32

Last March I first recorded my weight on my smart watch. Since then I've had periods of working really hard to lose all the way down to you'd swear I was trying to put it on. But this morning I finally hit my first stone gone. I'm really hoping that because it went off so slowly that it'll stay off. Another stone and I won't be "overweight" any more. So that's my Christmas goal. It would also mean that I could fit back into my nicer clothes again.

Walking a lot more these days now that we have the dog and my son's swimming lessons are back tomorrow so I'll swim too, first time since covid arrived, and that's my exercise of choice so hoping that will get me back into the pool properly.

Great work tscul32, you should be proud of yourself. Keep it going.

• Advertisement

Got back in the gym this morning. I had shoulder / neck rehab weights and did some arms (which I rarely ever do). Then I went on the ski erg for 5km. I had to really go to the well for the last 1km and nearly passed out. all for 287 kcals. To all who record 800-1000 kcals of hard cardio, I tip my hat to you.

@Jude13 when I do a hard session on the cross trainer I've had a few hairy moments where I thought I was going to pass out myself... even after finishing I've had to sit down more than once to take some deep breaths to get my head sorted... I'm awful for pushing hard, my wife who's at the gym most of the time with me says I definitely push too hard... honestly though I don't know any other way to train and there's a part of me that still see's the cardio in the gym not being as difficult as cardio when outdoors so I tend to try & push harder & for longer to make up for that... some of the machines are definitely harder than others for burning calories though, thats why the core of my cardio is always running (500 cal minimum per session is on the treadmill) for me they're the easy calories, the cross trainer, rower, stepper etc. hurt like hell & for far less reward too!!

Have to say though, I'm getting into the weights more now, hated them when I was younger but definitely seeing the difference now as I creep towards the big 5-0!!

I’m definitely enjoying weights now far more than I ever have. Even though my body weight isn’t dropping too fast, the flubber around my chest area is melting away at a steady pace. The gym that I’m in is all machine weights too so I never have any issues with injuries from poor technique

I also love logging into the gym app and seeing that I’ve lifted 13 tonnes in a session 💪😆

Our gym has both, but I prefer to use the machine weights, have seen far too many injuries caused by poor technique on free weights & I've enough legacy injuries to deal with without getting any new ones!

I'm similar in that the weight on the scales isn't really changing but my shape is, feeling it in my clothes now so I'm not as concerned about the scale so much as the change in routine is clearly having some benefit.

It felt good to get to that exhaustoin. When I had the training 3 days a week last year it was the same, dizzy or puking or both. Just didn't see the point not going hell for leather whilst paying for it (my OH paid in fairness). It was the way I used to to preseason and worked.

I use free weights as I am used to it, if you are not used to is machines are the way to go. I use dumbbells' for bench, and incline, and kettle bells with a vest for squats/split squats as when benching my shoulder doesn't have the range for the bar and for squatting I cant get my arm to reach back to hold the bar (range of motion again). Also using dumbbells' really helps with stabilisation and works the core.

TLDR been back to the gym once, still fat as a fool but feeling slightly better, more mentally than physically, which is what really matters.

Another good week for me. I've been good with food during the week and haven't gone completely off the rails at the weekend. I'm still off my cumulative goal by a few lbs but I'm at my lowest weight since starting this log and it's the first time I've lost weight 3 weeks in a row for almost a year. Gym is still going well. Weights went up again this week so I'm happy to see the progress there too. I'm averaging 4.7 sessions in the gym since it reopened 3 months ago. I'm due to check my measurements again this evening so hoping for a nice drop there too

Week 28: -3.4lbs

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Week 1: -3lbs

Week 2: -2.5lbs

Week 3: -4lbs

Week 4: +1.5lb

Week 5: -3lbs

Week 6: -0.5lb

Week 7: -3lbs

Week 8: +2.5lbs

Week 9: -2.5lbs

Week 10: -1lb

Forgot about this last week. One pound down. I’m happy with that. Had a family thing last weekend and dinner out during the week. But pushed myself hard on the gym.

Pushing myself harder in the gym and the instructors are making the classes harder meaning I’m averaging just north of 600kcals per 45mins class. I’m suffering from DOMS this morning from the Saturday class. Class this morning helped loosen me up a bit but still sore enough.

A loss is a loss Loughc, well done.

With the physical training it does become harder to maintain the level of calorie burn as the intensity needs to be upped to continue to burn cals at the same rate, so thats normal so don't be too hard on yourself on that score. I've started mixing up my sessions now to do more weights some days, longer slower runs, shorter faster runs etc. to try & keep it going and giving myself time to recover also. So try & mix it up a little and see how you get on.

Good work though, you're going great.

Good work Lough C

I did a big saturday as I had two hours to spare, did my rehab weights, then cross trainer for 45 mins and killed myself on the bike for 30 mins, machines said it was 450 cals, only 223 of that on the bike and i was doing tabata style, minute flat out, 30 secs going 50-75%. My foot was pretty sore after it.

Went for a walk around the lake with the mutt to get up to 10K steps last night, again sore foot. Also a little too humid for the mutt.

Still to afraid to weigh myself this morning.

The classes are definitely getting tougher 650kcals this morning in 45mins. Rest day tomorrow and already looking forward to it.

Will need to get a walk in later to loosen up.

• Advertisement

bad gym and food this week. Felt like crap for a couple of days so I couldn’t resist temptation and ate all the things 🙄🤷‍♂️

Week 28: -3.4lbs

Week 29: +3.4lbs

Haven't been to the gym since Saturday, heading down after work this evening though & will do so again Friday & Saturday again. Have been good with food though and have been avoiding all snacking between my 3 meals so don't feel like I've done any damage.

Managed to squeeze in another gym session after hurling training and managed 980cals in cardio and about 40 minutes weight training... arms are in bits this morning. Off work today as we were planning a trip to the local dump but don't fancy that in the lashing rain so will head down the gym again today... just in time for my weekly weigh in tomorrow morning so fingers crossed it'll be a better week than expected.

I still call the recycling center the dump 😂

after a weekend of two take aways and a boozy brunch I got to the gym this am. I only did rowing and the ski erg to try and get some cals to disappear. I am on day 2 of a processo and rum hangover.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Segotias

Wrong thread

Post edited by Segotias on

This is how my weekend is going anyway 😝

Will pick one of them up when I get a chance.

• Advertisement

Advertisement