Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Solve the puzzle of why my car won't start.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭John.G

I'm a bit puzzled by your post #20 where you recommend renewing the battery if its greater than 4 years old, do you mean renew it if its displaying problems?.

I have a smart charger (Ultimate Speed 3.8A) that I bought for €20 in Lidl around 10 years ago purely to charge up two old 7.5AH house alarm batteries that I use to power garden fountain lights, have never used it yet on any of the 4 cars in the family but its interesting and IMO a excellent charger. I have also attached a volts vs SOC% table which gives some idea of the state of a battery but the battery voltage should ideally be taken with battery disconnected from any load.

Post edited by John.G on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

It does say to make sure you replace like with like.

As for the other comments above I think it's up to you to make your own judgement on your car.

It's definitely prudent IMO to code your battery, if recommended, why not?, but would be interesting to see if the new battery longevity is enhanced by coding vs no coding. I carried out a good few tests on a battery that I renewed after almost 12 years purely as a precaution and I reckoned that it had ~ 55% SOC left when I removed it and its internal resistance had increased by around 50% so not a lot left in it from a cranking point of view due to voltage drop so based on that alone it cannot but help to code the new battery but I have to admit I'm a bit skeptical still but why take a chance?.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Most of the manufacturers Ive worked with dont have any recoding procedure - This year alone Ive probably fitted close to 150 batteries- not one of them has been recoded to the vehicle.

The instructions we have is that the smart alternator will basically self learn the new battery.

What about VWs built say in the last 4/5 years or so, any coding recommended here?.

Just rang O'Connell Bros. Cork who install hundreds of batteries and was told that VWs do NOT require coding. (Although I think my VCDS can do it).

Post edited by John.G on

• Advertisement

Virtual reality at its best, just downloaded these numbers via VCDS, car (January 2018) has 13,070 kms (8121 miles) up, all short runs in daytime mainly, stop/start rarely enabled.

I think the BMS system maintains 80% SOC.

And some more info whatever it means.

Address 19: CAN Gateway (2Q0 909 901 )

17:39:50

IDE03011-MAS04054  Number of requested start processes-Consumer/component current too high 0 

IDE03256-MAS06105  Battery adaptation-Rated battery capacity 59 Ah

IDE03256-MAS06106  Battery adaptation-Battery technology EFB 

IDE03256-MAS06107  Battery adaptation-Battery manufacturer JCB 

IDE03256-MAS06108  Battery adaptation-Battery Serial Number 1111111111 

IDE03588-MAS05683  System malfunctions for active participants start/stop-Battery fault 0 

IDE08347  adapted battery capacity 84 Ah

Post edited by John.G on

Ok, this the info from the adaptations in the Can gateway (using VCDS) , I can change the battery capacity and the serial number but not the battery type, I've read that all the VW models use 1111111111 and just change one digit or add a 0 and this is enough to tell the system that a new battery has been installed, if your new battery has a serial number then put this in, also change the AH rating, if different.

IDE03256-MAS06105  Battery adaptation-Rated battery capacity 59 Ah

IDE03256-MAS06106  Battery adaptation-Battery technology EFB 

IDE03256-MAS06107  Battery adaptation-Battery manufacturer JCB 

IDE03256-MAS06108  Battery adaptation-Battery Serial Number 1111111111 

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I changed the battery in my 2008 Audi A5 and went at vcds to see what the story was.

I think from memory now that the 3.0 TDI from that era required the full coding with battery type and serial etc but mine didn't or needed a more basic reset. It's about 6 years ago so can't really remember.

I've heard many stories of bmws eating new batteries fitted by people who didn't code.

News flash: For the first time in 57/58 years without using a charger on any of my cars I connected my (smart) charger to the Polo battery and within 10 minutes it c/o to trickle charge which confirms more or less that the battery is indeed fully charged and the 82% indicated battery charge level (VCDS) is to be expected with a nearly 3 year old battery so I will monitor it every few months from now on but no more charging.

Advertisement