Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will racism ever end?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Ah klaz so no other posters have attempted sly digs or even direct insults at me in this thread. 🤣

What's good for the goose is good for the gander and my post is humor at many of the replued in this thread just because you don't like the joke. You can't really stop me posting it.

Just like I can't stop the other posters who post nonsense and childish attempts at insults directed at me. I can ignore them and carry on. Insult me enough and you get no right of reply from me.

I won't be caught rising to that sort of bait again.

I don't agree the Premier league is this hotbed of racism you claim inside the grounds. Have you any links to incidents of note this season.

Anytime i have attended games i have not witnessed any obvious racism. So I do think with all their camera tech tyke big clubs in England are doing an OK job of policing it inside the ground.

Outside the ground that's a policing matter and I agree the UK police could do much more in dealing with racist incidents. Not even just specifically at football matches but in general.

There's one of those sly digs. What does this comment add exactly klaz?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,829 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Don't play dumb. You know right well what you were doing. Anyway, all you're doing is making yourself look bad.

You did. You said that anyone who agrees with booing of the knee is supporting racism.

I can't stop anyone racially abusing someone. I can educate people (who will listen) about how racism is abhorrent. I have done in the past, will do in the future.

I don't claim to be able to stop the OP's wife or anyone else being racially abused. I can't be responsible for other people's behaviour.

So I ask again Robbie, what do you suggest is the best way to stop the OP's wife being racially abused?

You asked me a question as to how I combat racism, I answered. What do you do, considering you think education isn't a valid answer?

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Advertisement

Shame on you for even insinuating that's what was said. Such an ugly dishonest post.

When you need to resort to such vile tactics, perhaps you should step away from the keyboard.

And then you call out someone for making a "sly dig" and ask what it brings to the conversation?

Just after admitting to purposely misrepresenting a post to make me look unsympathetic to the OP's wife's situation for "a bit of craic"?

Lack of self awareness is astounding.

I would say you jumped the shark but you'd probably accuse me of not checking my "great white" privilege

Haha your being really silly now dunne.

My sly dig comment was in direct response to klaz for having an off comment attempt at insulting me right after he made the sly dig comment to me.

You have also tried the personal insults at me many times yourself. So it's funny you are now taking exception. I mean even your self awareness comment is an attempt to deflect rather than deal with racism issues of this thread.

And 🤣🤣🤣

I just checked self awareness there on the all Google. And I'm not sure it means what you think it means either.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-awareness

So please explain your self awareness comment to me?

Actually don't i don't need another waffly deflection post.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,829 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

It's disgusting behaviour and the sheer irony of posters like that trying to appear holier than thou is incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nj27

Once we're finished with racism towards blacks I'm sure we'll jump right on to racism towards whites like Columbo figuring out the final clue.

• Advertisement

You agreed that some of the people booing the knee are doing it for racist reasons.

So if you are supporting booing the knee you are tacitly supporting those people who boo the knee for racist reasons. That is a fact of that support.

I dont make that true it is undeniable fact.

Jesus, your incoherent post about me rambling is the definition of not being self aware.

It's about how you hold people to standards you don't live up to and are unaware that you are making yourself look foolish.

I'm not taking exception to anything you say, but I admit it is tiresome that you refuse to answer questions that you expect others to respond to.

And despite me answering every direct question, you accuse me of deflection....

Check that on the "all Google" again.

Yeah I agree klaz using the sly dig comment and then straight away insulting me is exactly as you said.

At least I can rely on your support rothko.

I don't expect you to answer. I don't care if you answer. I ask a question it gets answered or it doesn't get answered. I still go sleep at night just the same.

As for the all Google 🤔.

I'm typing on a phone and it auto corrected aul to all.

There was me thinking being a grammar nazi wasnt allowed on after hours. Tut tut. Was that another attempt at a sly dig by you?

Ps: that question mark doesn't mean I want your answer it's a rethorical question.

Ah klaz so no other posters have attempted sly digs or even direct insults at me in this thread. 🤣

That's hardly the point... it's your (and bubblypop's) dig that was noted. Forget it. I know you won't own up to it, and recognise that it was inappropriate when someone was answering your questions properly.

Just like I can't stop the other posters who post nonsense and childish attempts at insults directed at me. I can ignore them and carry on. Insult me enough and you get no right of reply from me.

I learned on the Multiculturalism thread where the baiting comes from... and it tends to be from the posters who make the digs, and the claim to be the victim.

Let's move on, shall we? @the dunne can handle his own problems, and while I said my initial piece, I have no intention of getting sidetracked away from the discussion on racism.

I don't agree the Premier league is this hotbed of racism you claim inside the grounds. Have you any links to incidents of note this season.

Nope. Oh, I could get some articles, but I doubt it will change your mind any. You see, I would previously have done so, but the way you've been tackling posts just removes any desire for me to do any legwork for you.

Outside the ground that's a policing matter and I agree the UK police could do much more in dealing with racist incidents. Not even just specifically at football matches but in general.

I would say that football organisations, and the clubs themselves have a responsibility for what/how their fans behave under the name of those teams (wearing the colours, shouting the slogans, etc) while engaging in such activities. As long as they don't take responsibility for it, little will change, because the Police are, in many ways, limited/restricted in what they can do to influence people's minds/beliefs. Oh, they can enforce the laws.. but that's not the problem with racism.. the inability to change perceptions is.

And I'm going to leave the discussion on soccer, or taking the knee, there. This was discussed to death on the other thread, and I can easily see the same crap coming up again, with the same manner of dismissive/nasty posting styles.

If you want to shift back to racism in general, I'm fine with continuing the discussion. Otherwise, I'll leave it to others to discuss BLM/Soccer/etc.

That's patently false and ignorant to a childish level.

People can be anti fascist and not support antifa. By your reckoning, if you don't like antifa, you are supporting fascists?

But what if you also hate the proud boys? Surely by your logic, you are supporting antifa?

Your stupid logic leaves no room for common sense.

Ironically, it's not as black and white as that.

So your undeniable fact is absolutely deniable.

Consider it denied.

But to echo klaz, this has been purposely sidetracked away from the op and have no intention of continuing a conversation off topic.

There is a thread devoted to BLM and the knee. It's an oft use tactic to get a thread closed.

So if you want to answer the question and actually discuss the topic, which has been asked many times, what do you do to combat racism and how would you prevent what happened to the OP's wife?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,752 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Disagreeing with the methodology or certain ideals of BLM doesn’t make you a racist..or a supporter of racism, sorry...that’s some fairly disingenuous shtick....

I didn't bring BLM to this discussion. So don't try blaming that on me.

I have said I don't really think the taking the knee goes far enough but I don't agree with booing an anti racism gesture either. Because as I said there are actual racists booing the knee gesture and support of that booing ends up as tacit support for the people booing it for racist reasons.

What exactly do you want to discuss about racism in general. We agree it's bad.

But you dont think there is anything that can be done. You don't believe people can change so what is there to discuss exactly.

Implement legislation making racist hate speech illegal. At least that way the ops wife would have some recourse to report the incident to the Garda.

• Advertisement

didn't bring BLM to this discussion. So don't try blaming that on me.

Look back... I didn't blame that on you.

I have said I don't really think the taking the knee goes far enough but I don't agree with booing an anti racism gesture either. Because as I said there are actual racists booing the knee gesture and support of that booing ends up as tacit support for the people booing it for racist reasons.

And yet, you refuse the connection between BLM and the taking of the knee... Your logic doesn't extend beyond your application of it to others posts. You should consider applying it to your own statements. In any case, I didn't say anything about the booing on this thread, nor did I engage with you about it.

What can be done about it, and whether the current efforts are counter productive? I'd be interested in seeing your perception of anti-racism activists/advocates who push their views in a manner that tends to embrace bigotry and racism, while preaching against it. I'd be interested in your views on the double standards being applied, where standards are applied to others, but rarely are those same standards applied to the advocates/activists themselves. Also, the double standards with African Americans, where their own racism towards Asians and Hispanics is ignored, so that people can focus on the racism that is collectively assigned to White people.

But you dont think there is anything that can be done. You don't believe people can change so what is there to discuss exactly.

Once again, you're putting words in my mouth and disregarding what I've said previously. I said its a human condition, but we also have laws and social conditioning to minimize/reduce the expression of racism in society. I just don't believe it will ever be removed entirely. I wonder if you really read what people write, or simply scan their posts looking for something to confirm your own beliefs, or find something to argue against. And no, that's not a dig. It's an observation because you've done this multiple times on this thread alone.

Oh that's a great idea. How would you judge hate speech? Which words would you make illegal? Would it apply across all races? What defines hate? Would it be illegal to say the words or to offend people? What if identical words were said to two different people and only one took offense? Is it problematic to make a subjective term like "hate" illegal? Especially when it comes to speech? Should context be key? If that's the case, how can you police it? Is it open to massive misuse and used to simply be suppression of speech that is unpopular?

What should be the punishment for calling someone a *insert colour* bastard? Should it be punished more severely than calling someone a bald bastard? If calling a someone a *insert colour* bastard is hate speech, is calling someone a bald bastard also hate speech? Does that mean that person "hates" bald people? Is it ok to hate something and just not speak about it? Can you speak about stuff you hate in private? Do you need to get consent to put forward an opinion that could possibly be deemed as hateful on the off chance the listener is offended?

Absolutely great idea chief.

Id have thought your solution was completely unworkable, but as soon as you answer these questions, I think we are on to a winner.

Why do you care about my opinion on anti racism activists / advocates.

I can guarantee you this much about my opinion on them I know less about them and read even less of them or by them than most of the people who post on boards disparaging them.

So really to quickly sum up my opinion on them would be to say I don't know them or care much at all about them. You will notice I never seem to post anything by or about these people.

Again I don't live in America and don't consume huge amounts of American media. So my focus on racism is more focused on its impacts on my family and then more generally on this country and our closest neighbour (whose media I consume in greater content than of the Americans) .

I think all racism is bad wrong and stupid. No matter the colour of the skin perpetuating that hatred.

And most of the racism perpetuated on my family and in this country is by the native population. So that takes my primary focus. But not once have I ever said racism can only done by white people. That would be a stupid thing to say.

Your posts seem very antagonistic towards me. You don't know me so why you have taken a dislike to me is strange to me. And no that's not a dig thats just my observation.

Oh your right because I haven't formally drafted the legislation and had it approved by the attorney General it's completly unworkable.

I'm not going through all the work of thinking this fully through as if it was to implemented as legislation for you to go at the end and what about people with funny walks. You havent thought about people with funny walks. Ah see I told you it's completly unworkable.

Legislation is not a complete panacea but it can go some way to reducing what is currently not prosecutable under our laws.

Or you know maybe I should just answer.

Well in that case I may as well go and racially abuse someone as I drive by them eh "chief".

Why do you care about my opinion on anti racism activists / advocates.

Good God man, do you even remember your own posts?

I even quoted it in bold before posting my own input.

Your posts seem very antagonistic towards me. You don't know me so why you have taken a dislike to me is strange to me. And no that's not a dig thats just my observation.

Robbie, your posts on the last two pages have supplied plenty of reasons for me to be frustrated with your style of deflections.

I'm done. Look, I'll make it easier on both of us, and just ignore you. No need to continue this frustrating discussion that leads nowhere.

As the night goes on, you get less coherent.

What the hell are you talking about with your "funny walk" malarkey?

I asked what you would do to stop racism. You said make hate speech illegal. I asked you questions to clarify what exactly that meant. (To make something against the law, you would want to be quite specific). You admit to have not thought it through. Then because of your frustration of being ignorant to your own interpretation of hate speech, you said you should just racially abuse someone, as if that is what I am advocating.

Bizarre

Do you think what happened to the ops wife should be punishable under irish law?

Fair question. I'd have to be honest and say, based on the information in the OP, then no. The OP is not specific (and understandably so) in what racist language was used so it's impossible to say. Is it right? No. Acceptable? No? Illegal? Also no.

Do you think racist language should be punishable by Irish law, bearing in mind the fact that not everyone finds the same language racist?

Also if someone refers to someone in their company as a racist slur, but a third party of the same ethnicity who happens to be in the vicinity and overhears, and is offended by the slur, is that hate speech?

You see right there is the key difference you are ok for innocent women to be racially abused with no recompense as they walk down the street and I am not.

Yes I think racist abuse should be punishable under Irish law.

I happy for the intent to form a part of the justification in determining whether something is deserving of prosecution or not. So no two people using racist language with no intent to abuse another should not be a crime.

As we agreed earlier in the thread context is key.

But neither you or I are qualified to discuss the details or have presented any evidence we are qualified to determine the suitability for something to become legislation. So let's not pretend we are.

I would like to see if it is possible and workable and you don't want legislation to protect people like the OP's wife from abuse.

• Advertisement

There is a huge difference between me and you. Your posts are dishonest and you refuse to discuss in good faith and take every opportunity to misreprent in order to try and further some non existent points that nobody made.

Where did I say I am ok for innocent women to be racially abused? I said EXPLICITLY that it was not acceptable or right.

You are lying and misframing what I said for some righteous leverage.

You are saying that intent should be a determination of whether it is illegal. There is zero possibility that on a prosecuting level, you can prove a random shout of an insult from a moving car was intentionally racist.

Therefore your posturing that it should be illegal and anyone saying otherwise is a racist apologist is nothing more than an empty gesture of virtue signalling and pretty much consistent with your posting on this thread.

You want hate speech illegal but you can't define it, but anyone who says that that it needs to be clearly defined before it's illegal, supports innocent women getting racially abused?

You are the reason I don't want hate speech made illegal. People exactly like you. People who will perform extraordinary mental gymnastics in a vain attempt to grasp at any straw to frame anything you disagree with as racist or at the very least, a supporter of racism.

It's unreal the levels of confidence you have in your opinions when you openly state you haven't thought them through.

I think I will join klaz in refusing to engage. I thought you turned a corner with your last question which was somewhat thought provoking.

But when your response to my answer was that i was "ok with innocent women being racially abused", you reverted to type and became a parody again.

So off you pop Robbie. Go misrepresent someone else

Advertisement