Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

F1 2021 Round 14: Monza

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,752 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Just so your all aware, the first 18 laps I refer to were on Saturday, and yes Hamilton and most of the field were on mediums with the McLarens on softs. 😎

I was waiting for someone to fall into my trap. 😈

• Registered Users Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

• Registered Users Posts: 19,873 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

In the sprint almost all were on mediums. Mclarens were on softs.

And in the race almost all were on the hard but McLaren were on mediums. So the Hamilton was always on a step harder tyre than norris while they were actually on track together.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

I can’t remember the sprint but in the race the top 16 started on medium except Ham who was the only one on hards! Still a step harder but he was the exception not the rule!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,694 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

This lad predicted it.

• Advertisement

Yes you're right. Most started on mediums but Hamilton was one of the few on hards. So his tyres were away always a step harder than Noris. If he couldn't overtake in the first stint, he was banking on having having softer tyre at the end and overtaking with either the overcut or on track with softer tyres at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭chicorytip

He hates Hamilton and the comments he makes - not just about this incident - are always part of an agenda designed to undermine opponents and are devised by the puppeteer pulling his strings, Flavio Briatore. He's been doing it his entire career. At this stage I wish he would retire.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

I used to hate Damon Hill with a passion when he raced, just blind hate, in later years I read his book and had completely realised I was just been biased as I saw him as the "enemy", like the derby rivals in football, but of late I realise I may have been right the first time. Lewis Hamilton could run over his wife and he would call it a racing incident. Couple that with a recent tweet he said about Schumacher, he is just a bitter man. I felt sorry for him, growing up the way he did and then when he was at his racing peak, he had to emerge from Schumacher's shadow. Now I am sick of listening to him. I cannot wait for next season when Hamilton, Russell and Norris are banging wheels and Hill, Di Resta (who I am surprised is so bad) and Herbert are doing cartwheels not to say any of them are at fault.

When I first saw the accident I thought Max was 100% to blame but subsequent views it was 50/50, both equally could avoided it. Delighted McLaren got the win and Bottas had a great drive. Still don't understand why Perez didn't let the Ferrari retake the place. I watched both F2 races, which were great, and they had plenty of foreshadowing to the F1 race, with overtakes, accidents and penalties. Definitely going to try my best to watch the rest of F2 season.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭barryribs

fActS!

I can't believe "neutrals" have been crying for so long that lewis has been walking to championships and want max to do the exact same. Sunday, like Silverstone, was a racing incident, neither driver should have been punished. It's racing, accidents happen, let them race and let them earn their championship

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,610 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

I'm waiting for the Toto gif/meme from this race. It'll be iconic.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Lawlesz

My thoughts exactly. I read the book also and had no idea what he was going through mentally in that final season, also how he was never really respected by Williams and I got a new found respect for him. The Schumacher tweet was disappointing, and I had to switch it off Sunday. He accused Max of doing that deliberately and then backed down when Horner came in. Cannot stand himself and Herbert, and I have no idea why Sky still use them when they have other like Rosberg and Button available. I would even take Karun and and Di Resta before that pair of dinosaurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,975 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

So Lewis is criticising Max for not checking on him on Sunday to see if he was OK while Lewis was trying to reverse the car out of the gravel

Max replied saying "if your not OK your not doing that"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,128 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Can I see your source of this information please?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,423 ✭✭✭weisses

And what does Verstappen say?

“No, Lewis was fine,” said Verstappen when asked if he could have done more after the crash.

His explanation: “He tried to reverse when I was out of the car. So if you are not doing well, you are not doing it. ” In fact, Hamilton had tried to get out of the gravel for a while.

https://newsbeezer.com/austriaeng/verstappen-defends-himself-then-he-wont-do-that-formula-1/

What is all the fuzz about anyway, they collided when they were driving 40km/h... It was a racing incident, nothing more

• Registered Users Posts: 15,416 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Lol they were going a lot faster than 40kmh more like 100kmh at least. An F1 car can not drive very far at 40kmh as it would just not get the air needed to keep the engine cool.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

I think it was a racing incident.

The fuss is probably the penalty. Both were at fault and they gave a penalty to one and not the other and that will impact the next race.

It's not Max's job to run over to check on Hamilton. That's for the marshals and the medical teams. Vettel stopped to check on a crash a few races back and now that appears to be seen as the norm for drivers to pick each other up like it's the Special Olympics.

It's a story about nothing.

With no traffic the exit speed there is 70 km/h ... Because of them being so close they were going even slower

Using your logic they could not stay idle for the start and pit stops are a no no

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

I reckon the only reason Lewis is bringing up Max not checking on him is because of Max's comments on Lewis' celebrations at Silverstone while Max was in hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Hamilton was reversing when Max was walking away so I see no reason to presume that he wasn't ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭limerickpat

I usually catch up on the race thread after the race on the Monday or Tuesday. The last few years there were many threads with lots of comments about fast forwarding the race and unsubscribing from sky f1. This year we have an aggressive title fight, close constructors championship and drivers outside of the big 3 teams on the Podium. Its Great

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

What was the Schumacher tweet and who said it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭Anjobe

I reckon JD is right there, a bit of a tit for tat for Max's comments at Silverstone, complaining about Lewis and Merc celebrating when he was in hospital, even though everyone had seen him walk away from the car and therefore presumed he was OK, which he was, just in hospital for the mandatory checks after such a heavy impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,051 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

At times you would get the impression that its in the rules that Verstappen never has to pull out of a move, that if he goes for something then everybody else has to get out of his way. That if a crash happens then the other driver should have known better that Max was "aggressive".

• Registered Users Posts: 10,975 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Jackie Stewart sticking the boot into max for nearly killing Hamilton and only getting a slap on the wrist.

Jackie mustn't be able to remember Silverstone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭McFly85

I think it’s that he’s generally very good at finding gaps and getting his car in places where it’s difficult for another driver to challenge.

Most of the times this season where Lewis has backed out of potential contact with Max, he has his car positioned very well. I don’t recall many times this season where he’s gone so out of position as to cause Hamilton off the track.

I do think there’s an underserved reputation he has of being overly aggressive when you see Lewis back out of challenges against him. It’s as much to do with Lewis picking a wrong moment of attack as anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,051 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Thats the sort of thing I mean. Hamilton pulls out of moves and its him picking the wrong moment of attack, but is that not better than ending up on top of another car in the gravel? Why is it not Verstappen who picked the wrong moment of attack?

He could and should have backed off and kept his race alive but instead he ploughed on in, but very few people even mention that, all the analysis is on what happened after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭McFly85

I think it’s because there hasn’t been too many times where Max has been behind Lewis with a pace advantage and desperate to get by.

The first race in Bahrain I think it happened, and as I recall Lewis defended brilliantly in the last few laps as his tyres were basically dead.

Then in France max got by him with a lap to go but Lewis had been on his tyres for ages and was in no position to defend it.

Other than that it's mostly been Lap 1 skirmishes with Max generally quicker off the line. I will say that they've both gotten less willing to give the other space as the season has gone on, especially after Silverstone.

I do think Max could have moved this weekend. But I also think that there was no real driver error from either. Max saw a gap, Lewis went to close and there was contact, and the contact was really odd and took both cars out. I don't think Max gets a 3 place penalty if 1 or both of those cars can continue.

I just think he gets this reputation for being aggressive just because we have a few of examples of Lewis trying to pass and getting it wrong, when a lot of the time it's because he has his car in a great position and has no obligation to move.

Advertisement