Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bollards along cycling lanes in Cork

• 12-09-2021 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭

Alright so what's the story with these?

First of all it looks horrible, second it just looks stupid.

It really isn't a good idea, basically an eyesore and it's everywhere.

...and here's why it's wrong:

how do you overtake a slower cyclist(s)? You don't. Unless there's a gap big enough to do that so I guess you have to be patient.

you can do that here I guess, but you gotta be quick:

They are in the way so the bus driver has to pull into the bus stop like this. I guess you have to watch your step when you're getting on.

Particulary here on Harbourview road it's a perfect example. You can't drive around a car that stops to turn. Buses and lorries couldn't do that anyway, but in a car you could do that. So now you have to stop and accelerate from a standstill if there's an obstacle ahead of you. You basically create more emissions because you have to use the first gear, it was definitely more rational to drive around a car using the cycling lane, now you burn more fuel as a result.

By the way, absolute miminum people cycle on Harbourview road. 2-3 per hour is too much, but you have hundreds of cars driving up and down this road every hour. Cycling is definitely more environmentally friendly, but stopping cars on a busy road to make them all burn more petrol definitely isn't. So this is the biggest downside of putting these bollards (almost) everywhere.

This guy knows what's going on so I was able to drive around him, but it was really close. Most people did this before these bollards were put on the road, everyone knows there's cars behind them and those people want to keep going so you drive closest to the center line you can to let them through.

thanks seat driver, that was cool. Hopefully most people will keep doing this, but it's pain in the hole most of the times. I am just hoping nobody will be turning when I drive here. Like seriously, wtf.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭Diabhalta

Also, who is gonna be cleaning them? In Ballincollig they are quite dirty already, what are they gonna look like after the winter? Birds sit on them and sh1t on them. Just weird to look at.

Who is gonna clean them one by one so? I would like to know. They are like one month old and already somewhere they are bent and broken. What are they gonna look like in two or three years?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Isn't this duplicated in the Cork City thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Do they sweep the cycle path? In Belfast there was broken glass etc accumulating in the cycle path causing punctures, as the road sweeper truck could only sweep beyond the bollards, so the cyclists moved out on to the road.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

looks like the thread didn't land the way the OP wanted in the cork thread so he's reposted here.

it's actually reposted here becase it fits here better. It's a motoring issue.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Speedline

There are narrow road sweeping vehicles available for cycle lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,448 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

They probably cant afford one in Cork after spending so much money on a tree, that isnt actually a tree.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,948 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Regarding passing a slower cyclist - there's no obligation to use the cycling track so simply move out onto the other part of the road when safe to do so and pass the slower cyclist. (I appreciate that this can sometimes lead to horn blowing from ignorant motorists who are unaware of the normal road traffic regulations).

• Registered Users Posts: 81,055 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It would be better if they fined cars parked in the cycle lane €5.6million for the first offence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

If you pull out in front of other traffic forcing it to change velocity than that is clearly a breach of all traffic regulations. If you do not cause this then probably nobody will sound their horn.

If rad space has been seized for a cycle track then there should be a clear obligation to use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,948 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I did say when it is safe to do so. Even when you take up a position in a safe manner, you will still get motorists who will then speed up to get an opportunity to be annoyed with a cyclist who is doing nothing illegal.

yes, that's the road... where two crashes happened in one and half year. Given the volume of traffic on daily basis two crashes are acceptable.

btw. I passed the first crash in February 2020. Fellas were going crazy fast in the middle of the night and fled the scene leaving the girl behind. It could have happened anywhere so it's not the road's fault.

So here you have it, it was straight just two days ago.

It doesn't matter who is causing this. Cars, pedestrians, cyclists, whales, aliens... they are out there for 6 weeks only, mark my words this will get only worse and worse...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Markcheese

So the bollards are their to protect cyclists and make them feel less vulnerable-

And people think they should be removed because people can't keep their car straight enough to not hit a bollard in a line of bollards -

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 11,429 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

You reckon the residents started a media campaign over two crashes...? Seems unlikely....

6 weeks and they've damaged ...one... horrific.

That's what has you upset. Not the car on it's roof or someone killed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,146 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Must be those in cars that came without steering wheels, because if you have one, and hit those bollards, you simply shouldn't be driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭cpoh1

Its common across europe to segregate traffic from vulnerable road users, how some find this additional safety measure a bad thing is beyond me.

As ive recently seen these new bollards also have the added bonus of preventing people from parking in dedicated cycle lanes, again a positive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,873 ✭✭✭kirving

Have you ever come off your bike, or tipped something while parking? Because if you have, you should simply stick to walking. And if you've ever twisted your ankle, you should simply stick to crawling. See, this hand wringing get ridiculous very quickly.

As a cyclist I'm in favour of these the vast majority of the time, but there are some unintended consequences and poor implementation in certain areas which need to be addressed.

I've seen cyclists hit them on plenty of occasions, and one in particular go over the bars in front of a car after hitting the front wheel on the base of a broken bollard which he didn't see. Overtaking other cyclists can be more difficult. The bollards themselves get dirty, and it makes the lane much more difficult to clean for road sweepers. They further enforce and us vs. them attitude among some cyclist and drivers. Cyclists sometimes bunch up trying to funnel into the lane in time.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Just for clarity, the cycle lanes in the above images are all part of the driving lane on the road and are not a separate lane or roadway. Legally, they are not a separate lane. Therefore, a cyclist cannot pull out in front of traffic coming from behind because they currentrly occupy that lane and the car coming up needs to overtake them.

As for someone on a bike suddenly changing course, drivers are advised to expect this. People on bikes need to swerve to avoid defects or debris on the road. They need to swerve to avoid people opening car doors suddenly without looking. etc. You as a driver should know this and should be conscious of it when approaching someone on a bike. If a driver is not expecting this then we should be asking why we tolerate incommpetence when supposedly in control of a fast moving lump of metal.

As for your belief that there shuld be a clear obligation to use a cycle lane - why? I could be turning a short bit up ahead, I may be chooisng to not have to yield frequently to private entrances. I may choose to not use the cycle path because they generally are built to suit drivers and not cyclists. If someone sat their arse on a bike for a bit they would know this, but, hey ho, here we are again with the usual negative diatribe about cyclists.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the use of the word 'seized' is weird too. what's wrong with allocated?

So when a car (safely) overtakes a cyclist and indicates 50 m further on to turn into the garage or at some lights you won't be claiming that the cyclist has the right of way because the car is crossing a traffic lane?

I only ask because I have had several posters on boards claim that when a car is turning left they are crossing a lane of traffic

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/T4C35HRN362N/queue.jpg

What you are claiming is that the car succesfully overtook the cyclist and had sufficient room to take the turn.

The reality is that 50m is not very far in which to overtake a moving cyclist and then turn. When travelling, I could cover that distance in well under ten seconds. Are you saying that is enough time for the driver to complete the full manoeuvre and not force the VRU to have to take evasive action? (If you are then you're wrong!)

Not necessarily, could apply to a fast moving cyclist approaching a left turning vehicle, not having overtaken the cyclist, the same situstion arises, and often the same claims that the motorist should cede to the cyclist as they are in a seperate traffic lane.

Just looking for some clarity here, so the next time the argument arises I can refer them to your post

It's two swimming pools, or 10+ car lengths.

If the car is in front and indicating. As a cyclist you can't overtake on the inside.

"...However as a cyclist you cannot overtake on the inside if the vehicle you intend to overtake:

Is signalling an intention to turn to the left and will move to the left before you..."

50m in 10 secs is 18 km/h

I answered your question. You've literally just moved your own goalposts.

The issue is not right off way.

The main responsibility is to not endanger the cyclist.

• Advertisement

funny, i got left hooked by a motorist today who clearly needs to go back to driving school.

anyway, if a motorist passes a cyclist doing 30km/h, 50m from a junction, and the motorist is doing 40, that's a 1.5s gap between the two of them arriving at the junction.

Advertisement