Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dream big, work hard, achieve your goals - My DCM '19 Journey

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

So sorry to hear of your loss, may he rest in peace

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Sincere condolences on your loss E.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

And so life goes on...

I'm training away, hoping to run the Antrim half on Sunday, will probably start my log off again with a race report if I do it.

For now I'm writing a lot trying to make sense of things & this is something I put together...

Dear Grief

Grief you have well & truly floored me! I thought I knew what pain was before, but honestly, I’ve never felt anything like this before.

Grief you took me by surprise, no illness, no sitting around a hospital bed, just suddenly taking one of the people I love most in the whole world. Grief why are you so cruel? I never got to say goodbye, I never got to say sorry for some of the mistakes I have made – not patient enough, so busy with life, all the little things that feel so huge right now & make my heart feel so heavy right now…

Grief why is it my turn to feel such intense, indescribable, heart breaking pain?? I did everything I could to save him, why not let him stay a little longer?? What are the right & wrong ways of dealing with this? Why does my heart sink when I see his picture, hear his songs, smell his smell? The tears well up, the burning stinging sensation, try to hold it together, try to be strong, don’t upset anyone else… sometimes it’s just too hard, I sob & sob, I gasp for air, my chest gets tight, you consume me again, is this what it feels like not to be able to breathe? This feeling is so intense, it consumes every single part of my body. I am shook right to the core, I cry till my body physically hurts, my head hurts, my eyes hurt, my heart hurts…I cry till I can physically cry no more, please grief make it stop, make it go away!

Grief I now know I am changing as a person; I will never be the same again, life will never ever be the same again…

Grief you seem to come in waves, catching me unexpectedly, in the car alone, out for a run, cleaning the kitchen, watching a programme on the telly – you just sneak up & then the pain is raw again. 

Grief if I could have just one wish, it would be to bring my dad back, the last time I saw him was not meant to be the last time I saw him… 

Grief you work in mysterious ways. You gave me the strength & courage to carry his coffin, to read his Eulogy but all the time you were there. You made my leg shake uncontrollably, then my hands & finally my voice. You made me feel like I was strong, only to fall apart again. I sat with my eyes closed, head bowed for most of the funeral mass, trying my best not to faint or vomit from the pure intense pain I was feeling in the pit of my stomach – Grief why did you do this?

Grief that feeling you consume me with when I meet someone for the 1st time, my stomach turning, feeling sick, my palms all sweaty, my lip quivering, my eyes stinging from trying to hold back the tears… Do I say sorry? Do they feel uncomfortable? It hurts so much, I want to run away, to hide… 

Grief this is so unfair…

Grief you are an unwelcome feeling in my life right now but unfortunately you are not going away! 

Grief as hard as it is right now, I need to learn how to live with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Elaine - I don't know what the appropriate thing to say here is or how to acknowledge this wonderfully piece, albeit as a result of horrible events - but that is a brilliant articulation of what many people feel in those circumstances.

Hopefully see you Sunday.

It's ok Alan, none of us are comfortable around this kind of thing, myself included when it's someone else! They are just my scribbles & thoughts right now, thank you for the lovely comments 😊

Yep hopefully see you there, be nice to finally race again 🤗

• Advertisement

Antrim Half Marathon Race Report 1:33:13 New PB

After a tough couple of weeks emotionally I wasn't 100% sure if I was definitely going to run this. My training plan continued, although most runs are a blur, I got them done & it helped me, then after my really good friend offering to come up with me for the drive & support I thought I should just give it a bash! I had told my da all about it & he was pretty excited for me & told me how beautiful the views along the coast were. I got everything ready yesterday, my NB fuelcell runners, matching orange shorts & purple top, then I proudly pinned a little white feather & yellow ribbon on my bib for my da, I got butterflies feeling both nervous & excited about running a race again & it felt great.

Alarm was set for 4:45am, didn't end up falling asleep till after 12 & woke a few times so was a little groggy getting up. Had a small bowl of porridge, grabbed my gear & set off at 5:15 to meet my friend. Usually this is where my race report details the many wrong directions I took etc but thankfully not this time☺️ We chatted most of the way down & it really was great just to have that bit of company & help with the directions! We arrived in plenty of time & got free parking in the local shopping centre car park, the buzz was starting to build up with the car park quickly filling up with eager runners, oh how I've missed this, those butterflies returned again & I felt excited. We walked up towards the starting line, through the town & we just caught sight of the elites coming through, was great to see people cheering & supporting them. We kinda just followed the crowd until we ended up in a park. The queue for the toilets were so long it was unreal so a few girls decided to create a ladies toilet in the bushes, so much quicker😛 It wasn't clear at all where the start line was so between listening to people chatting & actually asking we found out where to go. The chap up in the bandstand was calling out the different coloured bibs to head to the start line but it looked like everyone just headed down anyway & it got quite congested very quickly. I ended up standing with the 1:30 pacer group but then we kept getting told to move down & it was very hard to do this as there were so many people together. It ended up quite messy & we didn't end up starting until at after 9:45 instead of the 9:30 original start time.

Miles 1 - 4 ( 7:17, 7:08, 7:08, 7:15)

Was really happy to get started with all the standing around. Thankfully there wasn't too much weaving in & out of people. I had decided to go with roughly 7:10 pace & see where I was half way. With 41 miles done this week & 17 on Sunday I felt I just needed to be consistent with the pace. I had been told that most of the work would be done in the 1st 4 miles so was just going to judge it. I zoned into myself & didn't get caught up with all the runners going by me, stick to your own race Elaine, keep it consistent. Came to a steep enough hill & slowed right down for it, didn't want to zap the legs this early on. Could hear people really gasping for air at this stage, the slapping noise of runners & watches beeping was pure bliss to my ears, oh how I have missed this. Kept checking my watch & was fairly happy that I was sticking to my plan!

Miles 5 - 13 ( 7:00, 7:08, 7:08, 7:11, 7:06, 7:10, 7:05, 6:59, 6:46)

Delighted to take on some water at this stage, took a drink then poured some over myself. Was really happy with how my race was going, checked myself if I was going too fast too soon, really didn't want to blow up too early & wasn't sure of the toll the last few weeks had taken on my body. Running along the Coast was stunning, my da was right, the views were amazing, thought of him a lot but tried to control it so as not to get upset so I just brought my thoughts back to running my race. Was running along side a girl for a little bit & she asked how I was, I said ah sure hanged in there, me too she said, then I shook her off my shoulder😜. I still felt strong, passing by people felt good but what felt even better was that I was doing it by sticking to my plan, racing my own race. After running around BallyGally we headed back onto the Coast Road, was good to know there wasn't too long left. The support was really good & being the only female in a group of male runners for a fair bit of the way I got a lot of well done girl, keep going, very strong comments & lots of smiles which really, really lifted me! An ambulance with sirens on had to come through us which meant we had to jump up onto grass verges or wherever we could just get out of the way, it triggered me for some reason & I started crying, kept running & crying, defo got a few looks but thankfully it didn't last too long, I really hope the person is ok that was in the ambulance. Coming back under the tunnel felt so good, at this stage I seen 2 other girls ahead so gradually started closing the gap. I knew I could up the pace as I looked at my watch & where I thought I was heading into mile 10 to my absolute delight it was mile 11😊 I caught up with the 2 girls & the 3 of us were together heading down the steep hill which lead to the stretch before the finish line. Jaysus this hill was steep, really had to put the breaks on or I really felt I might tumble down it! Got to the end of it & started on the home stretch. At this stage I had upped the pace, I really wanted to come in under my time in the PP TT, 1:34:13 & felt I could. I seen some Flags & stuff ahead & was convinced it was the finish line, to my utter horror it wasn't it. My head completely went, just walk it now Elaine sure everyone will understand, No Elaine you came all this way finish it out, walk Elaine, run Elaine... ugh leave me alone stupid mind!!!! I then People started cheering, you're almost there, keep going... then with people on my shoulder I knew there was no way I was going to walk, then I seen my friend, I'm so proud of you Lainey, you've got this! I dug deep & finished it fast, coming in at 1:33:13 - exactly a 1 min PB - given the fact there was no taper & everything else that's been going on I will take that any day. I genuinely felt so proud of my myself, I ran a really good controlled race when I was really afraid that I'd just crumble!! It's true what they say what doesn't kill ya makes you stronger💪 A few tears were shed on my way to collecting my medal, emotional happy tears as I know my da was with me & I know how proud he would be❤️

My focus is Manchester, hopefully I can be just as proud of that run...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Fantastic and such a well earned and deserved performance 👏

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Really really well done, excellent running. I was trying to keep an eye out for you, I double checked every luminously garbed female, nearly got arrested 🤣

you’re in great shape

Congrats

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

You're a legend

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Superb. Great to read a race report - the report and performance didn't disappoint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,419 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Great account of a great performance. The splits are a thing of beauty. Richly deserved! Congrats.

Thanks so much for the lovely comments, this is why I love this running community, I really hope boards stays alive even though people aren't happy with the changes, I think it's a pretty special place💛

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Wonderful race and a wonderful report too. Your splits on Strava show that you very much ran your own race and what a controlled race it was.

I'm so glad I'm not running a marathon this year, but I'm so glad you are. It's going to be great to see what you do.

Congratulations Elaine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Brilliant race and report E. I was looking forward to reading this, it didn't disappoint!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭jebuz

Many congrats on a well executed race, the report was a great read as was your powerful prose above it. You write really well. Condolences for your recent loss. I can only imagine how difficult that was but it took a special strength to not only go and race but to come away with a 1 minute pb. You've done yourself and your dad proud.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

Smashing run, pb & report E. You're an amazing runner, it's a honour to follow the journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Was delighted to see this on Strava and even more so after reading that, congrats. You are indeed a legend 💛🙌

Anyone who follows my log knows that I am an emotional runner & writer(waffler). The reality is this is my hobby, same with most people on here. Life comes 1st & all the things that are involved in life. I fit my runs in around all the other things going on. Right now, my grief is a huge part of my life, I wish with all my heart it wasn’t but that’s just the way it is! I’m not sure if it will be everyone’s cup of tea to be reading this in a running log but I love writing & running so if it helps me then that’s all I want. Grief is such a horrible emotion, it’s a very selfish emotion. I really don’t think I’m a very selfish person but since my dad’s passing, I feel like the most selfish person in the world… I think I need to be to preserve myself, to try help myself. I can’t give my usual help, advice & support if I am crumbling inside… I’m sure I will get back to some version of my old self but for now I actually don’t know who I am. Antrim was amazing, where I got the strength from I have absolutely no idea. It was great to feel something other than sadness & heartache. I got home & everyone was thrilled for me especially my mam who has now taken a proper interest in my running, she was looking for photos of me on the Antrim half marathon page on FB, “are you in any of these she said, nope mam that’s all the elites, not quite there yet!”

With every high comes a low & god did I crash on Monday. Thankfully it was a rest day, I just lay on the couch for a bit felt zonked, feelings of guilt for feeling happy yesterday hit me a few times. Then I decided to have a bath & head to bed early to try sleep… Not long in the bath & I sobbed & sobbed, just couldn’t stop. Sat in a towel in the bathroom for what felt like ages, dried my sore eyes & went to bed but the same thing happened again, right now these feel-like tsunamis not waves of grief… I know it will take time, how much time I have no idea of as everyone is different, I just want the gaps to get longer between the gut wrenching overwhelming feelings of sadness. 

Manchester Marathon Week 8

Mon 30th – Rest day

Tues 31st - W/U, 10*400's C/D

Felt a little leggy for this & a bit drained but that was to be expected!

Weds 1st Sept - W/U,6*1k, C/D

Decided to head out to the PP to do this around the Furze loop. Was a nice day & happy to have a change of scenery. The reps all felt good, given my legs felt heavy yesterday I was pleasantly surprised at how strong I felt on this run. Finished up in the car park of the Visitor Centre, got changed & headed for a little walk around the gardens, the flowers still in bloom, so colourful & beautiful especially the Sunflowers. It was so peaceful, nice to just reflect a bit.

Thurs 2nd - W/U, 4*200, 2*400, 1k, 2k, 1k, 2*400, 4*200 C/D

Enjoyed the mix of different paces & distances for this run. Managed to get through half of my dad’s playlist.

Fri 3rd - W/U, 6*1k, C/D

Went out for this later than I had expected. Felt a bit emotional, thought about not running at all but as always was really happy I did.

Sat 04th - W/U , 8*400’s, C/D

Went out to the PP for this. Did my reps on the Furze road between the bollards, was nice doing the reps somewhere else. My mind wandered a lot to my dad, hard to believe it was his month’s mind mass later, the hardest month of my life.

Sun 05th - Easy Endurance run with surges – 18Miles

Had a few drinks last night, haven’t really been drinking at all. We went to the club my dad drank in, was weird being there without him. Wasn’t a mad late night or anything but I ended up sleeping in, waking up but then feel back asleep, my body obviously needed it. Set off with a rough route in my head. Was very warm out there. The run went well, a surge for a minute after every 8mins, I enjoyed this as it woke my legs up. My legs felt heavy for the last 2 miles but nothing too bad at all – happy to have another long run under the belt.

I have no real target for Manchester other than getting my way around it without breaking down. Unfortunately, no one can say how much affect the emotions of the last month may have on me physically but for now all I know is that running is really helping me so I am choosing to stick to my plan. I feel normal when I’m out running, I can get emotional but in general I’m concentrating on my paces & my runs which is a good thing. I think for now the best thing for me is to treat this the same as Antrim, not putting pressure on myself & hopefully run a well-controlled race.

Miles for the week – 59.2

Miles for the year – 1,667.4

Post edited by Laineyfrecks on

• Registered Users Posts: 10,419 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Thanks for sharing these thoughts, E, and nothing about what you have written suggests any selfishness - quite the opposite, in fact. And of course you need time to yourself to process all these overwhelming events and emotions. Hang in there.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Not that it makes a loss any easier to know it's coming, but to have had it thrust upon you completely from no where like what's happened to you is so rough. You're not being selfish at all, you're being honest. And in spite of all you're going through you're still working away.

You've got the shock and the grief to deal with and it must be so hard. Be kind to yourself.

I hope writing it down helps. We're all here with you and listening.

• Advertisement

Thanks so much💛

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Thanks for sharing your thoughts E. Hard to find any words of comfort really. Time is probably the only thing that will help ease the pain.

As for guilt - I understand why you feel that way but there's absolutely nothing wrong with allowing yourself some happiness, albeit for a brief day. I think under the circumstances you should allow yourself that - doing something you love and something you know your Dad was keenly interested in and proud of. Take those moments of happiness coz they will be fleeting for a while. Also, we're back racing after a solid year and a half of lockdown misery - jaysus its understandable you were happy for a few hours!

We're all here for you.

Thanks so much P, really means a lot.

The logical me knows that I shouldn't feel guilty & that my da would say that to me! The emotional side just misses him so much...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

It's totally normal to miss your Dad, it's lovely in fact as it shows how close you were. Time does help though and those feelings change. I lost my Dad over 25 years ago, I don't miss him much now as it's so long since he's been a part of my life and I feel so far removed now from the teenager I was then but some days I feel totally overwhelmed with sadness at what he has missed out on in the years since then, it's hits me how young he would still be now if he was alive and the sadness at what he was robbed of feels over powering. So yes that overwhelming sadness still hits but a lot less frequently. And those waves of emotion now fuel my own desire to live each day and not put things off until life gets easier, every birthday is a privilege. I think you are amazing, I've struggled to read some of your posts because of the rawness, we Irish are all so good at avoiding those difficult emotions, and I won't deny I have shed a few tears when I've come back to read them, it's great you are expressing your feelings whether through writing or running. It's very healthy and positive, it's still very early days in your grief so be kind to yourself.

FWIW I think you're going to have a great run in Manchester and beyond, everything bodes really well for you, your work ethic over the last 18 months has been 2nd to none. Thank God racing is back now and we can start putting events in the calendar again 🤗

Thank you so much for the detailed reply. I am so sorry you lost your dad too. Everything you have said makes so much sense to me, hopefully the waves of intense grief lessen as you have said. I was afraid it might be a bit much for people but it is who I am, heart on my sleeve person. I hope they didn't upset you too much or anyone else that was never my intention. Sometimes being so in touch with my emotions is a curse but hey you can't change who you are. I know I need to face it & deal with it as best I can.

I'm hoping Manchester goes well, I have put in the work but not accounting for the last month obviously. Yes I agree it's something we can all finally look forward too having races again & race reports to read🤗

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

This is exactly the place to write those thoughts, they're part of what's going on right now, it's great that you are able to put your feelings into words. Wearing your heart on your sleeve will help you through all this. Time does help, just be patient with how long that could take. You absolutely need to look after yourself, nothing selfish about it. My dad used to think I was mad running too but loved listening to me talking about it, dads are the absolute best things in the world and when we lose them it's beyond heat breaking but, they are up there somewhere cheering us on. I think you'll smash Manchester too, I think you're amazing actually!

Thanks so much for all the lovely words folks, it is very comforting reading them❤

Manchester Marathon Week 9

Mon 6th Sept – Rest day

Was a tough day for both myself & my son so was really glad of the rest day!

Tues 7th - W/U, 8*400's C/D

Felt good for this but jaysus it was so humid out! I was sweating for the whole run.

Weds 8th Sept - AM W/U,6*1k, C/D - PM 16*200's

Had planned to run this earlier but got stuck doing stuff so I set off as soon as I could conscious that today was a double day. The 6*1K's went well, legs & fitness feeling good. Stopped in my tracks when I seen a man across the road on his walk, he looked so like my da, composed myself then set off again. These things are bound to happen just hoping they don't hurt as much with time.

Obviously had to leave this later than I would have liked but was good once I got into it. Another muggy evening but really happy to have another double under my belt.

Thurs 9th - W/U, 2k,2*1k, 5*400, 10*200 C/D

Loved this run, enjoying the mix of distances & paces. Legs felt good for it. This had to be the most humid day so far, everything I had on me was soaked right through😮

Fri 10th - W/U, 10*400's, C/D

Got out for this at lunchtime, don't remember too much about it.

Sat 11th - Rest Day

Was heading to my fav restaurant, Salamanca's, in the evening with 2 really good friends, was feeling a bit unsure about it but glad I went. Only had a couple of drinks & was on the last bus home but good to chat & have a little bit of normality🙂

Sun 12th - Easy Endurance run with surges – 20Miles

Set off for this with a vague route in mind. Ended up going around a fair bit of Tallaght before heading over towards Lucan & down onto the Grand Canal. I don't usually bring any fuel or water for my long runs but thought if it was anyway like it had been all week then I would have too. Thankfully it wasn't too muggy so I didn't need to bring anything. There was a little chill so wore my light wind breaker & my cap as it looked like it might rain too. Felt really good for this, legs were turning over nicely & even though I had been dreading it I think the route helped me enjoy it.

Can't believe I will finally have ran my 2nd marathon on this day in 4 weeks time. Just hoping I do myself & all the amazing people that have helped & supported me over the last few years proud🤗

Miles for the week – 59.8

Miles for the year – 1,727.3

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Unknownability

Have you got your Manchester start time yet? Seems a bit of a mess.

No nothing yet & with everything that's been happening it was only when I seen it mentioned on the Manchester thread that I sent them an email, waiting to hear back now.

• Advertisement

Just got my reply I'm in Red A - arrival time of 9:50 - 10:00 with hopefully a start time of 10:50😊

Advertisement