Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this how bad the housing crisis is?

• 13-09-2021 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭

Looking for a place to rent. My enquiries get ignored or places are taken quick.

Someone mentioned that some landlords don't like advertising so I should create an add. So I created an add on Facebook and on gumtree.

I received a call today saying someone had a place to rent and gave a quote higher than what I can manage, but I mentioned the maximum I can pay in my add, so no surprises there.

But then he went on to say that he can reduce the rent for sexual favours.

Is this how bad things are that I can't get a place without selling myself?

I told them that I can pay rent and I hung up on him. But I'm now sorry I didn't get more details and send the guards around for the viewing.

Thousands of desperate students looking as well. Are living in brothels our only option now?

Comments

Not the first I've heard of it. Happened to one of my daughter's friends when they were trying to rent. Needless to say, they refused.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,952 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Did you put up your picture?

I reckon someone was taking the piss out of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

This has been a thing for years now. Clare Daly was in the Dail speaking about it.

I actually can't believe how bad the market has gone post covid. I had a room to rent recently. I was inundated with students. I had nearly 20 enquiries within the first 70 minutes of the ad being put up.

In 2 days the ad had more than 1,000 views.

I was being offered 20% more than the asking rent from people who didn't even view the house in person.

And the problem is going to get worse when the foreign students are let back in. Thousands and thousands of brazilians, argentinean etc students are literally waiting for the borders to open. January/February is when they are seemingly planning to arrive here.

If memory serves me right, that was found to be a hoax, she was never able to provide the source nor details of the alleged request.

It is a really big risk on the LLs part if the op is a minger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

No I didn't put up my picture. Nor am I minger.

• Advertisement

More like the landlord is a minger if that's what they have to do to get pleasure.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭BobHopeless

Friend of mine renting a decent sized room out in his house in Dundrum to a couple from Hungary and he's very happy with the arrangement they are nearly always out working and are apparently lovely people. He was inundated with calls when he advertised the room (i think because he wasn't asking enough tbh) but he got a call from a Brazilian girl who offered him sexual favours if he rented to her. He hung up and blocked the number presuming it was someone taking the piss but this has me thinking otherwise. I wonder if people are that desperate now?

Well I told the landlord/creep to get lost today. So we're not all desperate.

But it looks like the housing situation is desperate. And I don't know what to do. I do have a couple of months. But I'm not even getting replies now, so not feeling very confident about the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Far far too risky to answer that on a phone call!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Suspect it was someone " Taking the piss"

What kind of idiot would say such a thing over the phone ?, type of approach you imagine could only happen in person as much more difficult to prove?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Good Jesus man- spoiler that sort of talk. My sexual organs have retracted back into my body thinking of that.

Clearly people would say such a thing. If a potential landlord can ring up someone saying that kind of stuff. Well, anyone can.

Friend of mine renting a decent sized room out in his house in Dundrum to a couple from Hungary and he's very happy with the arrangement they are nearly always out working and are apparently lovely people. He was inundated with calls when he advertised the room (i think because he wasn't asking enough tbh) but he got a call from a Brazilian girl who offered him sexual favours if he rented to her. He hung up and blocked the number presuming it was someone taking the piss but this has me thinking otherwise. I wonder if people are that desperate now?

Honestly, it wouldnt surprise me. Some people genuinely are desperate for somewhere to live. My former cleaner, who I got to know a bit, Brazilian lady in her mid 30's, was sharing a room with another. There was 8 of them together in a 3 bed apartment in town. Add in the students returning and vacancies are seriously short.

A quick look on Daft and for all of Dublin county, there is just over a thousand properties available for rent. Some of these are the ridiculous priced ones. 4k for a 2 bed apartment kind of ones.

Putting in a max of 1600, which is a lot, reveals just 349 rentals available. For a county of 1.3 million?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭sk8board

Yep, the total daft ad’s have collapsed.

consider there was a peak of 22,000 places on daft in 2012, in the middle of a different housing crisis, but that number is 1,815 this evening, split roughly 50:50 between Dublin and everywhere else - and only 550 are 3-bed+, irrespective of location or price.

im a full time LL for many years with single-family homes, and there’s never been any squeeze like this - and all the while LL’s getting out by the thousand, as we saw from the RTB a few weeks ago.

no tenants are moving out at the moment, everyone is staying put, and any places that are being vacated are being sold out of the rental market.

That is outrageous. There are some horrible people in the world

I moved in the past month. The place I was renting in Dublin 18 for 1452 a month is now on daft for 1600. It was 1200 when I moved in in 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭ghoulfinger

I’m a landlord, one of the apparently rare non-greedy variety. That said, I I’m fortunate enough to have no mortgage, so I can afford to be less financially focussed. Otherwise it might be a different story. In any case I’d much rather have my excellent continental long-time tenants at the modest rent I afford them for the good accommodation offered, than someone who might pay more and not treat it with the same amount of respect. They are looking after my investment well. I accept pets, told my agents that I would be particularly willing to accept a stable pet-owning family, which I duly got back in the noughties. Rents then got reduced at the downturn, and fortunately I could weather it, but have not been realistically able to increase to market value since, so as long as they are my tenants they will be renting at a relative bargain and I’m ok with that. I don’t have a fancy lifestyle to finance. My tenants originally approached the agent to enquire if there was a suitable potential landlord on their books, kind of like a tenancy matchmakers.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jmlad2020

Recently saw a guy looking for a room who was offering a €500 cash bonus to anyone willing to give him their room directly.

Yes people are getting desperate. People offering sexual favours are likely real. As someone currently looking for accommodation it is harder now than pre-pandemic. And that is saying a lot.

Is it a case of take what I can get? There's a place available at the moment, within my budget but it is a complete eyesore with dark old furniture and carpet from the 1970s. It's been available for a few weeks and I'm wondering why.

But that said, I have 5 months to find something. So do I hold off for a few more weeks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

The only landlords I personally know who havent sold up yet are 2 with problem tenants that they have been trying to evict for over 3 years each at this point.

One had received no rent at all in 3 years. The other is over 10k in arrears. Pays rent whenever they feel like it.

Both these landlords are selling as soon as they get their properties back.

You can see on DAFT and myhome too that some are even selling at rock bottom prices, with tenants in situ (most probably the ones who cant get the tenants out), they are so desperate to get out.

I used to personally know loads of landlords. Soon I wont even know one.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,774 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

yup, the markets completely wrecked for both landlords and tenants

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭sk8board

33% increase over the past 7 years isn’t actually that bad, considering

• Registered Users Posts: 28,774 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

thankfully wage inflation has matched this rate!

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Blue4u

The advice people I know are been given is to go letting agencies and give them a bio, then they will sell you to the landlords. I haven't seen advice to publish your details + rent onto social media.

You have no idea if the person is a landlord or not, it could be any chancer. Plenty of people going around "renting" properties that turn out to never exist or they are not landlords. I would have kept his number and reported to the Gardai, I think once they check into him I doubt he is any landlord.

He called on a private number, so I can't report him.

As for not creating an add yourself, there are landlords that don't want to advertise. So hoping there might be someone that might have something.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭lossless

I wonder where all this magical demand pressure comes from? Why, I wouldn't even be able to infer it from the few posts above. No siree Bob.

The whole situation is an affront to decency, not to mention an insult to intelligence.

Zero surprise if the likes of prostitution and sexual predation are creeping into it. But while the anecdotes and personal experiences are piling high, there'll be nowt statistics or investigation. This is yet another of the invisible costs of this supposed "country".

Scam, scam, scam, in all its entirety.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

This is one bleak thread. Sorry to hear you had to go through that, OP, and hope you find a place soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭lossless

I don't know your personal situation, of course, but my gods honest advice is to do a severe re-evaluation of your life and it's direction.

It's very difficult, but you have to realise that there is no relief or let-up coming within at least the next decade. This housing crisis is baked in, purposefully and knowingly.

Can you move elsewhere? Can you start over elsewhere? Can you swap careers, swap education?

Living in a dank hole for ludicrous amounts of money that will only increase will leave you where, exactly, in x amount of years? Saving a minute amount of money in order to have the reward of having a ludicrous mortgage tied around your neck for the rest of your life? From the frying pan into an another frying pan?

It is clear, even from a cursory glance, that this country is being run as a business. A business that's being liquidated, to boot. Highest bidder from anywhere gets to play, the government's are going to give them guarantees on their investment and supply the fuel to keep the fire blazing. It's a free for all, and while people are too weak-minded to stand up to this affrontery, despite what their eyes and ears are telling them, nothing is going to change.

This country is up for sale, and it isn't to you. Everything from the double-irish "economics" to the thou-shalt-not-even-broach hysterics of it's migrant "policy" spells it loud and clear. Hence landlords leaving, hence decent people leaving, hence miserable stories accumulating.

Do what's sensible and distance yourself from this scam if you can, no matter the difficulty. Scant consolation in it's complexity, but it's the only remaining sense available in this two faced joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Blue4u

The landlord are using agencies, you should create a BIO and go around all the estate agencies in your area and give them it, if you have a friendly one maybe get them to give some pointers. Then leave in every one you can and hopefully they will find you a property.

I would still report him, the Gardai will be able to contact the network and can get the number, withheld or not. Disgusting carry on and should be reported.

Advertisement