Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Joining a golf club and Winter weather

• 12-09-2021 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,525 ✭✭✭

I am considering splashing my hard earned money on annual membership at the local golf club. It's not cheap but I was hoping to get out for a full round at least once a week and more often when I'm on annual leave. Also there is the odd 9 holer during the Summer. In relation to winter golf do you folks go out in the wind and rain if you have a round booked? I will need to invest in good rain and windproof gear. The course is a links course so when the wind picks up it should be fun. In relation to a typical timesheet, when you book a time slot could you be playing with random people who have booked the same slot? Is the usual numbers at play a four baller?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,525 ✭✭✭billyhead

Anyone?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,250 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Rain and cold is not something that stops me playing. No such thing as bad weather only the wrong clothes. I've had plenty of miserable rounds in the sun. Also getting off the course drenched and freezing makes that after round pint so much better. I'm not a member of a club though.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

" In relation to a typical timesheet, when you book a time slot could you be playing with random people who have booked the same slot?

Is the usual numbers at play a four baller? "

Yes & Yes. Some clubs will use block bookings for their weekend times, other clubs will use fastest finger first type booking. My club have a rule agianst having a weekend time and not showing up, you should be able to join up with other 2 and 3 balls.

With it being a links course, you'll get more rounds in that some of us parkland folk. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

If you're able to play midweek, should be no problem getting 18 in. However, depending on the membership numbers and whether or not there is a winter league, a lot of clubs may run 9/12/14 hole comps at weekends to try facilitate getting as many people out as possible when there is less light available over the winter months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Links courses drain much better than parkland and proximity to the sea keeps the frost away. Parkland courses turn to mush in winter while links stay really nice. I find that walking the course helps keep you warm in winter. A winter hat goes a long way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Links golf during the winter is one of lifes great enjoyments.

If the course is open and playable then play away. Wouldn't worry about who you are playing with either, just stick name down and enjoy the different people you will meet

• Registered Users Posts: 20,336 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

" In relation to winter golf do you folks go out in the wind and rain if you have a round booked? "

Yes. This just one of the many advantages to being a member of a golf club in Ireland. Getting pissed on. This is just one of the little challenges that is part of being a club golfer in Ireland :)

Advertisement