Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Island's edge opinions

• 12-09-2021 1:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,936 ✭✭✭✭

I would be solely a Beamish drinker so I like a strong bodied bitter stout. Saw this in the shop this evening so said I'd try it.

Gotta say it's some achievement making something so flavourless and watery. I downed the first and thought that was light and refreshing but I was bored of it half way through the 2nd. It's a nice creamy head sure probably more than the main 3 stouts, but the body is like water. It's blended with tea to take out the bitterness and make it refreshing but it really lacks that taste of "more" off it.

I couldn't see it appealing to any stout drinker but I'd imagine that's not their target market given they already have Beamish and Murphy's.

Definitely one for the rock shore, seltzer, gin drinking generation.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,230 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Brewed by Heineken. It sounds like a beer for people who aren't really into beer. Like some kind of training drink? So, yeah. One for the Rock Shore demographic.

"Made in Cork, Island's Edge is aimed at people who don't drink stout..."

• Registered Users Posts: 33,602 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I love stouts . Major fan of O Haras Nitro , Long hand and Leann Forlain . Love portors too. And like a Guinness when out.

Have tried this in draught and also yesterday in can since there was a glass free offer in SuperValu.

Frankly it's a good stout. Nice creamy feel to it. Much more flavoursome than Guinness and if it was between this and an overly bitter Beamish id take this. They've done a good job on it. Great all rounder.

It honestly reminds me of how Guinness used to taste before they flattened the taste out of it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

not much flavour in it, nothing offensive about it. I just can’t see what market there is for it. I expect it to be gone by this time next year.

Sadly Heineken seem determined to kill off Murphy’s. Almost impossible to find in Dublin now and musgraves have dropped it entirely. The cans are now brewed in Scotland and heard Brexit causing issues with stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Murphy's is brewed in Scotland?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

A beer or stout that has on it's can "unexpectedly refreshing" is on to a loser immediately.

Murphy's or Beamish if on tap will get my preference, and then guinness, unless O'Hara's something else is available. Wicklow Wolf and O'Hara's Leann Folainn would be my preferred ones.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭One_More_Mile

Tried it the weekend. Its a nothing stout, neither memorable nor offensive. Cant see it taking off really

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Might see if I can get a taster of it in the pub tonight!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Not my review:

But I'd agree that Guinness 0.0 tastes more like a "real" stout and Islands Edge tastes more like a NA stout. Bland and, erm, thin if that's the right term to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,506 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Have had 2 pints of it now

absolute swill. Genuinely wouldn’t wish it upon my worst enemy.

rockshore has competition for the worst thing on tap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,602 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Genuinely surprised at the responses here. Three friends have tried it now seperately all reasonable reviews. At different times of trying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Found it very watery almost like as if I tipped a bottle of ballygowan into a half drunk pint of Guinness

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Knightofcydonia

It's thin, not much mouthfeel and I find it a little sweet. Not sweet like a milk stout but certainly sweeter than Guinness. Having said that it's drinkable, I got a 4 pack and that'll do.

Id have Guinness ahead of it for sure but there's plenty of other stouts I'd have ahead of Guinness too!

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Butson

The TV ad alone is enough to turn me off it.

Drivel.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,936 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Accurate and the color is more like a glass of coke than a proper stout. The only plus was it was probably the creamiest widget can I've gotten.

Have Heineken just given up on Murphys? Surely remarketing Murphys would of been better than this dishwater?

Wouldn't imagine Diageo are worried about it anyway, even the name is forgettable.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Lynk

Bit concerned to see, but I can't find cans of Murphys anywhere in West Cork ever since this got launched.

Their press release stated they wish to gain 10% of the stout market, given its made by Heineken who own both Murphys and Beamish, you'd wonder are they trying to faze them out in favour of promoting only one stout?

As for the product itself, its bland, like watered down Guinness. It doesn't have the beautiful coffee tone of the Murphys, or the bitter taste of a Beamish. Hope it doesn't take off because if it did, I can see those two brands being discontinued.

I don't think they'd ever discontinue Beamish, it's got about 40% of the stout market in cork and 8% nationally.

Don't even want to contemplate that to be honest. A world without beamish 😟

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭kheb

Tried a few cans. It’s definitely too bland compared to Guinness. However, they are clearly aiming it at people who don’t l8ke Guinness which is not me.

They said it's aimed at people who don't drink stout but a bit of a contradiction if they are looking to take a bit out of the stout market. As I said I couldn't see any stout drinker switching to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭kheb

Agreed, no stout drinker will switch. I will try it on draught for interests sake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 Lynk

I'm from West Cork so it's Murphys country here, I never took to Beamish, but I respect the people who do. Both are great stouts. Ominous signs though, particularly for Murphys, I can't find a can of it anywhere here.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Brewed or canned?

Splitting the brewing on what is increasingly a niche product in their lineup cannot be sensible from a cost perspective. But the two big boys in the market here have insufficient (or no, really, for Diageo) packaging capacity so tankering for canning is quite normal.

Actually don’t know, guess that makes more sense. Murphy’s used to (30 years ago) have decent (20%) market share in the UK. No idea what it has now.

Its possible it is brewed there, Heineken do some odd things.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,777 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

They do the same for Heineken lager: draught brewed in Cork, small-pack brewed to Irish strength in the Netherlands and shipped over. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they did the same for Murphy's in Edinburgh: most of the cans going to the UK and US with whatever little they need for Ireland being sent across. The non-sensible bit is that Lady's Well is still operational at all, but there are likely reasons for that beyond the simple logistics.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭sxt

Alot of comments here's saying it tastes bland. If that's the case they may have a mass market winner

To have mass market appeal, it is vital to make the most bland and inoffensive product you can make,hence mass appeal. Think of all the bland mass market staples like heiniken, budweiser, Guinness etc

If it is has a big marketing machine behind it and it meets the requirements of being , bland, tasteless/inoffensive, and easy to drink, it is very hard to see it not being a huge success...

Post edited by sxt on

Heineken, Budweiser and Guinness have more distinctive tastes than Islands Edge. Most of the people calling it bland are comparing it to Guinness!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Guinness is bland if its too cold, to lump it in with those 2 piss beers is disgrace, they need to be near freezing to drink, Guinness at about 6/7 degrees is a different beast

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

Nitro guinness is blander than Heineken

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Advertisement