Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2021 US Open

Comments

Osaka is mainly the Japanese market but they won't be renewing.

Publicly they have to say they are all behind her but not getting a good brand association.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,282 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

I was actually wondering last night if we could see media/endorsements stepping away from Osaka now. Raducanu won her first slam at a younger age, she seems (at least initially) more comfortable in the spotlight and she's, to be a bit blunt, better looking which rightly or wrongly matters with these things.

Also, with Raducanu being half Chinese and speaking the language she'll be able to tap into the Asian market. Can't see many companies sticking too long with Osaka if she's only popping up a few times a year.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,282 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Finally fully caught up with the thread. Enjoyable match last night, my only complaint is I wish there was a third set.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

She was still bleeding after the game ended that's not a trickle of blood

• Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Osaka could well be finished at the top level, doesn't seem to be able to handle the spotlight, has the talent but, her hunger and love of the game seems to be gone, think she'll be retired in 2/3 years and just going through the motions in that time, so all her endorsements will start jumping ship and Emma Raducanu is the hottest thing not only in Tennis, but, in global sport right now. Good looking young mixed race girl, who comes across really well, right now she's an advertisers dream.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,069 ✭✭✭Augme

Really looking forward to this match. I was also really looking forward to the AO though! Hopefully this is a lot more competitive. I do feel Medvedev has the best game on this service to trouble Novak.

Keeping everything crossed for Medvedev here, but just can't see past either a 4 or 5 set win for Djokovic. If nothing else I just hope Djokovic doesn't canter to the win and is made to work for it.

Well, he's already done a lot better than in Melbourne! The serve obviously the key issue in that set, just serving like an absolute beast. I still think Djokovic is winning, but this is at least slightly encouraging.

Medvedev first serve unreturnable for the best returner of all time.

Djokovic needs to start "seeing" his serve more and soon.

Djokovic coming to the net a lot after serve because his ground game has not been effective against Medvedev so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,526 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Djokovic drops the first set as normal.

• Advertisement

That bad choice of slice shot off the drop shot was costly.

Medvedev's flatter shot profile causing Djokovic trouble also.

And just not on his game in general

Actually could be nerves

• Registered Users Posts: 39,437 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I’m watching the nfl bit I’m keeping up with the men’s final and I see Djokovic lost the first set again.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

When Djokovic loses the first, it's usually a sign he will kick things up a notch.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

World class strop there.

what a fookup by the US Open system in fairness tho on break point - had returned deep into the corner

Djokovic not at the races - maybe all the extra hours and pressure have caught up with him?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,526 ✭✭✭Floppybits

There goes a racket.

Gotta feel he is in big trouble here. Just doesn't seem to have the energy. He will rue all those unnecessary four setters.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭klr87

Djokovic in serious, serious trouble. He's going to need a comeback to surpass the French Open final turnaround against Tsitsipas, and then some. If he'd taken his break points this set, he might be well into this match, but nothing doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

Djokovic needs the second set, can't see him winning this from 2 down

• Registered Users Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭Xander10

just started watching, don't let it be a five setter, I need an early night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,825 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Not a Djokovic fan at all...but I thought he would kick things up a notch after that first set...but Medvedev really not letting him, great to see. Would be brilliant to have a new grand slam winner in the men's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭sxt

I wonder what would be the odds of djkovic going to the Jack's to chill out for 10 mins if he loses this set?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

This is over, well done Medvedev ...

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭ireallydontknow

God, I'm so demoralised I've had to turn it off. I really need to get some perspective! The way Medvedev is playing/serving, this would have been a tight match anyway if Djokovic was landing his first serves and had a low unforced error count. But he hasn't a hope playing as he is. That's what's so demoralising - it's not even competitive.

What happened?

was always the worst matchup for Djokovic and Djokovic playing badly.

looks very over.

That was a really bad miss by Novak. He had all the time in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,628 ✭✭✭✭josip

I still think Djokovic will turn this around and take it in 5.

That 2nd set was not as perfect for Medvedev as the 1st.

If Djokovic can get 1 break it's a different match.

Djokovic has break point (first one of the set and a break down) and hit a good return off second serve into the backhand corner.

the IT system called it back in the middle of the rally

so Medvedev gets first serve again on the replay

two points later Djokovic smashed his racquet

• Registered Users Posts: 35,609 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Looks like Emma will be only one making history this weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

All over !!!

Advertisement