Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.

Timeless watch channel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Interesting times are good times.

Personally I like most but not all of his vids. YouTube is entertainment.

It's not about 'living vicariously' it's about a scenic location, interesting activities and a certain degree of variety. Helps also of course that it's well done and has music choices I mostly like.

There is some of his output that I'm not particularly keen on and I've criticised him before here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Fitz II

So the French Girl drama continues, cant say I think that this vendetta will end in anything but trouble. Like a lot of us (but not all) spotted she turn out to be a troublesome ex prostitute trying to start and Only Fans page. Oisin's self aggrandising as the "leprechaun king of cool" in front of this bunch of verginal watch nerds is at odds with how much this girl has obviously got to him.

FitzII quote:

"So the French Girl drama continues, cant say I think that this vendetta will end in anything but trouble. Like a lot of us (but not all) spotted she turn out to be a troublesome ex prostitute trying to start and Only Fans page. Oisin's self aggrandising as the "leprechaun king of cool" in front of this bunch of verginal watch nerds is at odds with how much this girl has obviously got to him."

To be fair to Oisín I don't believe he's ever promoted himself as a typical (Irish-American) Oirish stereotype. A lot of prominent YT watch guys and gals have noted his success in garnering subscribers and his relatively colourful background as interesting content material to tap into. I personally enjoy TTWC most of the time, he makes a welcome change from the average run-of-the-mill YT watch review.

As for those two vids, there's no way I'm going to spend over six hours watching a load of talking heads.

Just watch the first 30 minutes of them....

Okay, I did. The Arhie one is more entertaining but that's down to the Pontiff. The other is just YT gossip and Oisín doesn't come on till 27:30 or so.

So she's 'on the make' according to O's account and not a very nice person but she's popular with the audience who don't have to interact directly with her. She's made for Instagram.

So what's the big deal?

Cool, I cant watch 60 minutes of content in 30 minutes but ok. Watch the Oisins bit maybe and listen to what he says or dont, I dont care, but its an interesting thing when Oisin is doxing people and airing his dirty laundry in public. Kinda goes against the flow of the gentleman, worldwise cool dude image he usually portrays.

I watched the first 30 mins of the Archie one which is mostly Oisín's version. 'Dirty laundry' .....I don't agree, it's just his version of events around the pronunciation video and his latest teaser Q&A vid. Apparently his next one is going to tell 'the full story' or maybe not. There's an audience for scandal and he's running with it.

As to his 'image' as a worldly gentleman, I don't see that he's been offensive to women in general just a couple anecdotally and before this French woman anonymously. You can respect women and still have a low opinion of them individually.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I'm not so sure she got to him in that sense F, more that the attention she got for his video he wants to extend to get more attention, especially to the audience of "virginal watch nerds". 😁 Man the way Archie goes on...

I wanna see pictures of the ropes. Greeeeasy. I switched off when he started going on about her looks. He's the kinda face best suited to popping out from the bushes, with a worrying rustle in the same bushes closer to the ground. 😂

For all his protestations it seems he was well up for a second video as was she to get attention for them both, but she got the old cold feet and he's framing it his way and getting the attention anyway. In the vid he claims he doesn't want to be indiscrete and then goes on to say she's a bitch, there's a lot of miles on her engine, she's banged her 60 year old landlord and was a street walker on the reeperbahn.* I couldn't go much further than Archie looking for her new bloke's name and the greasy factor went way too high, but Oisin describes him as unfortunate looking.

In our world of weaponised attention seeking it's all for attention, or oul Oisin has a fierce thin ego, or a little from column A and a little from column B. If he didn't want drama and didn't want to be indiscrete it would have been very easy to do. If one can't trust one's mouth to not run away with itself. Especially after a few ales. Say nothing is the first rule. Or say "ah yeah she's a friend of mine, we had the craic that day, but she's away on her travels with her boyfriend and best of luck to her" kinda thing. Job done, no threats, drama avoided. That reactive bitchy stance I can understand in a bloke in his twenties, or yer wan who's 23, but Oisin is what looking down both barrles of 50? I have long contended that if a bloke hasn't got his ego somewhat understood and in check by his thirties he's kinda fecked. Buy hey, it is getting attention and here we are talking about it so the Oscar Wilde quote springs to mind.

*where the Beatles of all people honed their different trade. Well if you can keep a rowdy bunch of drunk sex maniacs entertained night after night it would suggest you're pretty good, or you have to get pretty good pretty quickly. 😁

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Wibbs "weaponised attention " - I am stealing that good phrase.

Yeah its just out of character. A chap like him with 50k subs should be well used to trolls and nasty business, odd that he is taking this one atomic. A man with as much "cool ****" going on should not be bothered. He is insistent on calling the other fellow ugly (even though he look perfectly fine to me) and playing the victim. He has done this a lot with his previous girlfriend who he said was abusing him with domestic violence. It seems to be a pattern

I suppose that what I am getting at is that its a odd show of insecurity for a man so interested in and famed for, protraying the image of an idilic lifestyle. Of course the live streamers (and relevantly new and IMHO obnoxious and dull part of the youtube watch community) love the drama.

Did notice he got a airking, I did a review on that watch and its pretty good will be interested for his review on it, a polarising watch (despite the antimagnetic case...boom boom)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭893bet

**** I hate Tim. Tim is dim.

I see mention of a “letter” from the boyfriend.

Link anyone?

Also off topic as timeless don’t do live chats themselves yet at least but looking at Tim’s channel, watch cardinal, Archie etc

what the **** is the story with superchats?? I see lads firing 5-100 quid to have their comment read….it’s like only fans for watch nerds.

Dude superchats are the new subscriber counts. Its really weird. Marco shaved his head live on stream for well over 2k in superchats. I have seen 500 euro, 1000 euro single chats. I think its uber rich collectors exercising control....its like a form of prostitution. Same guys spending thousands a week on superchats across the various streams, digging up drama....Nico Leonard did a 9 hours live stream a few weeks back, whats on earth is going on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

I'm not sure how the superchats work in youtube, but on twitch there was a time of a lot of fake donations of large sums.

So, someone will donate a couple of grand and then do a chargeback via their bank or PayPal leaving the streamer out of pocket if they've spent it by the time of the charge back.

Watch collecting is a nerd pastime. It’s gotten a little “cooler” and mainstream lately.

Those streams set it back. Middle aged and old me in their box rooms argueing and discussing watches. Begging for superchats and thanking then person that sends them over and over. Talk of the “community”. I find it a little nauseating.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,467 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Superchats!

OnlyFans for Watch nerds?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭redlead

They are so boring too, just a load of nerds making small talk. Anyone that finds themselves looking at these needs to reasses what they're doing with their life.

TTWC was kind of at its peak when he was at 20k subscribers. He seems to have just turned into a youtuber personality at this stage.

(1) My 9/11 story. What saved my life. - YouTube

TTWC latest video where Oisín tells his 9/11 story.

About 10 seconds of watch related content but it's 42 minutes of walking round one of the most beautiful cities in the world (IMO) talking about that terrible day and his own experience of being in NY then.

"There are 8 million stories in the naked city, this has been one of them" Quote from a TV series I used to watch back (fado fado) in my youth. It was originally a film apparently in the late 40s.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Am I the only one that's thinking this little 'spat' is no more than a publicity stunt for both of them?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭scwazrh

They both put up screenshots of messages between them on Instagram last night. From those she clearly asked him to edit the videos before uploading it and he said no.No matter who’s at fault It’s very immature carry on from a man who’s online persona is trying to be one of a travelled gentleman sharing his enjoyment of the finer things in life .

Edit to add screenshots if anyone’s interested and not on Instagram

Do you know I tend to believe her more in this. Something very ugly, needy and narcissistic in his personality that the beauty of Venice can't hide.

Also the large number of people killed in the 9 11 attacks in s dwarfed my the millions who claim they would have been there except for some twist at of fate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭scwazrh

I think you’re hitting the nail on the head there. His comments about his ex in other videos is bad form as well. There’s two sides to all stories particularly when it comes to break ups but using his channel to speak negatively about his ex and Chloe doesn’t paint him in a good light .

FitzII quote:

"Also the large number of people killed in the 9 11 attacks in s dwarfed my the millions who claim they would have been there except for some twist at of fate."

Millions. really? The Twin Towers were large office buildings that had thousands of professional and tourist visits daily, the Pentagon had staff and people doing business, the flight that crashed before reaching its target would have had people who might have been on it but for some chance occurrence. So if you take all these there are probably tens of thousands who can legitimately claim to have 'been there except for some twist of fate'.

I tend to believe Oisín is one of them if for no other reason than he claims that the woman who would have been there with him married his 'best friend' so will still be within his wider circle of relatives and friends. If he's making it up then it will be known by people close to him and the embarrassment to him would hardly be worth the lie.

As regards the French girl, who cares? I certainly don't.

I get the impression that oisin cares about the French girl. He loves to tell us all about the Streisand effect...I think that's going on here.

Given she's in her early 20's and he's in his 40's(?), she's coming off a lot better than he is in this. Even if they're both telling porkies she's better at looking like acting the adult about it. The "Hey, is it true you were a hooker in Germany" bit is cringe. When you come across as more narcissistic, reactive and petty than a wandering instagram bird in her 20's that's not a good look for a middle aged man who's supposed to have his life together. Then again performers have a tendency to be a bit childlike, and often childish with thin egos in my experience, so maybe it's that. He should stick to watch videos and avoid the talking about my exes travelogue stuff becuase the latter tends to make him look like a twat more than it doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

The guy is an embarrassment. If anyone can get through more than a minute of his video "Watches, Wine and Jealousy" without disappearing into yourself with cringe, fair play. It's an hour long! I think the comments sum up the majority of people who watches it. "I feel like oisin is becoming a friend" or "this is how real men behave". Christ almighty, the internet has failed humanity.

No offence to people here who like the channel btw, suppose like watches themselves, everyone likes different stuff, but I'd much rather watch the 2 boardsies watch channels than this lad with 50k subs

I do like his channel. Sometimes he can get side-tracked into subjects that I don't have much interest in like The Timepiece Gentleman or his dispute with the French girl and her friend but in general I find his videos well presented and entertaining. The Venetian backdrop of course helps. Adrian (B&J) walking round central London doesn't quite match.

Maybe I have a higher cringe threshold. 😀

Venice defo helps alright. Very cool city. The current pox really helped too as normally it's packed to the gills with tourists, or surprisingly cold and damp with wellies often required in the off season.

His mid pox walkabouts reminded me that Venice was one of the most prepared and efficient city states in Europe when the black death hit. They enacted quarantine of ships and people for (quaranta)forty days, bans on people and goods from infected areas, shut down bars, cafes and church services and divided the city into zones that could be closed off in the event of a local outbreak. Lockdown pretty much. They built the first official quarantine zone and the first plague hospital and the first modern health ministry, even came up with issued travel passes for the healthy. It helped that it wasn't a walled city like others, and they had border controls before the plague hit, because people were always trying to get in and they were trying to control that so were better prepared than most.

Haven't been there myself since the 90's. I went there with my folks as a kid. My dad had been there very soon after the war had ended in Europe. His take? It was a bit smelly. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 64,764 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Never knew the word came from quaranta! Every day a school day 😁