Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Countdown 2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,020 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

.The Yule Log can also be called the Búche de Noel. It first originated in France in the 19th Century.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Feel like I'm in school reading this forum these days, so much learning 😀

Celebrations were first launched in 1997. Galaxy is called Dove in most countries. Twix also not included in Australia. Topic was discontinued in 2006 and Galaxy Truffle in 2011.

The Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade is the largest parade in the World it started in 1924. The parade lasts three hours and is held in Manhattan.

The first appearance of a modern Santa Claus, complete with what we consider to be the Santa suit was in drawings by Thomas Nast. Nast's original drawings were of a small Santa who could slide down chimneys, but his later works made him full size. He was also the first to draw Santa wearing a red suit with fur lining, a nightcap, and a black belt with a large buckle.

• Advertisement

Thomas Nast's Santa

• Registered Users Posts: 22,209 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

🎅🧑‍🎄

Since 1961, snow has fallen on 17 Christmas Days in Ireland. (1961, 1962, 1964, 1966, 1970, 1980, 1984, 1990, 1993, 1995, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2004, 2009 and 2010), with nine of these having snow lying on the ground at 09:00 (1964, 1970, 1980, 1993, 1995, 1999, 2004, 2009 and 2010). The maximum amount of lying snow ever recorded on Christmas Day was 27 cm (11 in) at Casement Aerodrome in 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,033 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Nearly half way through the teen weeks already!

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Not really a fact Today. The last time we had all the same number in the countdown was when it was 222 days to go back in early June.

Now however we'll have one nearly every eleven days between now and Christmas.(I hope that makes sense)

• Advertisement

In Malta they traditionally serve Imblijuta tal-Qastan. It's a chocolate and chestnut Beverage. It's often served after midnight mass.

Happy Xmas(War is Over) was released in the US on the 1st of December 1971 and on the 24th November 1972.

The Sri Lankan Christmas Tree is the world's tallest artificial Christmas tree. It was built on the Galle Face Green in Colombo, Sri Lanka, the tree is 72.1 m (236 ft 6.58 in) tall and opened on Christmas Eve 2016.

KFC is often eaten on Christmas Day in Japan. In 1974 they ran a marketing campaign called Kurisumasu ni wa Kentakkii, or Kentucky for Christmas. They call it a Party Barrel. It's not just chicken, cake, and wine can be included also. It can account for a third of their yearly sales and often needs to be ordered in advance.

Last two stats are top drawer FP!

In the Philippines a Christmas Ham is sometimes served, It is called hamón from the Spanish word for Ham jamón. It can often be soaked in Kumquat and Lime juice.

Hamonado is also served, This is when meat is marinated in a sweet pineapple sauce.(Pineapple Juice, Brown Sugar and Soy Sauce). The meat mainly fatty cuts of pork but Chicken or Beef may also be used. The meat is then browned and left to simmer in stock, marinade and Pineapple chunks until it falls apart.

Only 14 more Fridays before Christmas!!

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Some of the most popular gifts from the year 2000 included!

Tekska Robotic Dog, Micro Scooter, Amazing Ally, Pokemon Pokedex and Nokia 3310.

• In France is a meal that is had on Christmas Eve. Starters may include Lobsters, Oysters, Escargots. Turkey with Chestnuts is also consumed. For dessert they may have Yule Log. In Provence there is a tradition of having thirteen desserts. This represents Jesus Christ and his twelve apostles. The thirteen desserts include dried fruit and nuts, fresh fruit, Biscotins, Calissons d'Aix(Marzipan and dried candied melon, cumin and fennel seed biscuits, Fruit tourtes, fried bugnes(Fried pasty with sugar),r fougasse à l'huile d'olive, (Cake made with olive oil), Black Nougat(Hard candy made with Almonds and Honey), Soft Nougat(Soft candy made with sugar, eggs, pistachio, almonds), Quince Cheese, Yule Log, Pain d'epices, Oreillettes,(Light thin waffles).

• Advertisement

Wales has a tradition of singing Canwuon Plygain, which is done on the week before Christmas day. It's a Carol service and often takes places in the early houses of the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭PaulT21

@freshpopcorn loving all these new facts😄 13 deserts would do me in, in fact 1 does me in. Need to concentrate and get some weight off for the festive season. Should post this in the other thread🤣

Home Alone was released in November 1990. The Home Alone house was located at 671 Lincoln Avenue, Winnetka, Illinois. The film was highest-grossing live-action comedy ever until the release of The Hangover Part 2 and it featured in The Guinness Book of Records!

A group of 448 couples kissed under mistletoe in Kissimmee, Florida and a World Record made!

Would have been sure there was more than that at a normal night at Wesley disco, back in the day! :)

Christmas Pudding is a traditional in Ireland, It is sometimes served with brandy being poured over it and then set alight. It was considered unlucky to cut the pudding before Christmas Day, and if the pudding broke during cooking the baker would be dead before next Christmas

Time to start blowing up the red balloons 😁

In China it's tradition to eat an Peace Apple on Christmas Eve. They are sometimes shared as gifts amongst young people with a special message.

Ooops should have held on........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

"99"

Down to double figures! Let the excitement build!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement