Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Deportation due to Subversive Activities

• 10-09-2021 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

I am hoping someone is able to point me in the right direction. My Grandmother was deported from England back to ireland in the 1940s due to republican activity in Birmingham. I am curious about this and would like to see if anything has been printed or even recorded in official Irish or British gov. documentation about this.

I have done the obligatory gooole search but nothing has come up. Where would be a good place to start searching?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,300 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

The National Archives might have a mention of her.

I would also try the Irish News Archive - it's a subscription site but free in many libraries.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 13 1tsThatGuy

Hermy, thanks for the help. I had a thorough search and couldn't find anything. I'm going to try and look through British newspaper archives next.

Any recommendations from anyone?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I'm not sure what UK ministry would cover it but it strikes me that you'd have a better chance in UK records. Maybe start with the National Archives catalogue. Might be something to do Freedom of Information request on.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 13 1tsThatGuy

Thanks pinkypinky. From what I have experienced so far there' a lot of research to find little bits of information. I have discovered that any Irish citizen working in factories connected to the war effort were put on a register. The British were worried about Republicans working on behalf of Germany and there logic was that this was the best way to keep track of any subversives.

Advertisement