Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why are convicted murderers granted entry to Ireland

• 09-09-2021 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

I’m curious as to why convicted murderers are allowed to enter this country and then surprisingly when they continue to commit serious crimes why are they not appropriately sentenced or deported like the case of the lovely gentleman in the description from the journal below. Is this the standard approach across europe to people with such serious criminal records or are we just particularly soft on this in terms of entering the country?

‘’A CONVICTED MURDERER who tried to suffocate his wife after a New Year’s Eve party at their home in West Cork has received an 18 month suspended sentence.

Cork Circuit Criminal Court heard that Marius Rucinskas, who is originally from Lithuania, repeatedly struck his wife, tore clumps of hair from her head and pulled off her eyelash extensions.

Rucinskas, who works at a fish factory in Cork city, pleaded guilty to the charge of assault causing harm to his wife Renata Rucinskeine on 1 January, 2020 at their home in Main Street, Castletownbere, County Cork. He is presently living with a friend in Cork city.’’

https://www.thejournal.ie/convicted-murder-avoids-jail-for-brutal-attack-on-his-wife-5545431-Sep2021/

<Mod edit - please do not quote the entire article, the first few lines are sufficient. I've also added a link to the source article>

Post edited by Ten of Swords on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

He can travel freely around the EU, sure Brian Rattigan is off in Spain now, Larry Murphy is travelling all over Europe, plenty more the same

Appropriate sentencing is another story though

• Registered Users Posts: 12,198 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Sentencing is an absolute shambles, he is a sorry disgusting excuse of a human being. But unless EU law changes, I'm not sure what we can do about it?

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

He wasn't granted entry. He did not need any visa or permission to enter the country. As a EU citizen he can travel freely between member states. He no more needed to be granted entry than an Irish person needs to be granted entry to travel to another county.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,764 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

That sentence is a disgrace

He assaulted her, violently kicked and punched her, twisted her head, pulled her false eyelashes off, threatened her, suffocated her, hit her head off a table, forced her onto the bed, smashed items in the house, demanded money from her plus he was convicted of murder previously in Lithuania. And the judge accepts his difficult work environment as some sort of excuse.

Fucked up.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

The EU allows for freedom of movement for EU citizens.

Of course, Ireland may be a little bit different in that no one has to register to live here. We have no idea of any Europeans that move and live here.

Of course, if he has served his sentence, I'm not sure what you think we could do about it OP?

Do you think that anyone who has been convicted of a crime should not be allowed live in Ireland? What about people who are convicted in Ireland? What crimes should apply?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Should be a pretty simple case of return to sender ,

let lituania deal with him .

Individual states should be able to refuse entry to individuals who serious criminal convictions

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Plenty of sinn fein / IRA murderers who originally came from northern Ireland which is part of Great Britain living amongst us too

So if you allow murderers from Britain to live here, you have to accept some from other countries

And we export many of our own too.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

Yeah that freedom to travel should be restricted to people who aren’t criminals. To anyone who might ask where we draw the line with that, let’s start with murder and work our way back from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Bibblybobbly

No, I don’t think anyone that committed a crime should be refused entry however I would draw a line with murder and severely violent crimes. The same as I think the likes of Larry Murphy shouldn’t be inflicted on another country. I actually foolishly thought one would have issue travelling around if they had a murder conviction, obviously not.

• Advertisement

No ,but I'm a firm believer in states being able to refuse violent criminals from entering in the first place,the same applies to our criminals moving from state to state ...

We had a couple from Nigeria living here in Ireland who were huge in drugs trade ,they went on trial in Italy where they had asylum ,but before the trial ended they disappeared but still convicted , turned up in tallaght something like 10 years , after being granted asylum here under different names ,

We had another Chap who was a convicted of murders in terror attacks in Algeria ended up here and managed to claim asylum ,only to caught in another country plotting terror attacks .

Europe definitely needs to do more ,we could do with a violent criminals database which is shared among all the states ,and be allowed to deny entry completely

No we all have freedom of movement.

We also have freedom once we have served a sentence.

Those people and their crimes that you referred to are not EU citizens.

we have systems to refuse those people entry.

what about EU citizens? Do you not believe in the EU?

They were granted citizenship which gave them the same rights as EU criminals to travel freely .

We've EU Drug gangs , people trafficking and other criminals free to come and go and nobody can say or do a thing,and in a lot of cases carry on carrying out Crimes and moving to other states to avoid convictions ,

We should have an absolute right to either refuse entry and or deport foreign criminals to their state of origin in the EU

Where did they get citizenship? You just stated that they applied for asylum?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭Polar101

Ireland doesn't even have a working system where citizens have an ID. Would you support some kind of an EU citizen database so local officials could find out if their local folks are foreign criminals? Or how would this work?

The first couple were granted Italian citizenship ,fled Italy during their trial ended up here applied to asylum under different names , granted asylum and onto citizenship here .

There has been loads of stories ,we had a rapist convicted of rape here ,on release he was deported , arrived back two weeks later to run front business for his criminal gang ..

When they say open doors I don't think they wanted stuff like this to happen

There should be a data base ,you still need a passport or other recognised Id to travel Surely a red flag can be attached that informs officials when they arrive in a foreign state it should say this person is a violent criminal and allow states to deny entry or attach strict criteria for entry

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭archfi

Handy link for loads of scenarios including the one which Ireland doesn't bother to implement, the 3 month rule. As a poster said above, no-one is monitored/checked-in here!

This bit pertains to previously convicted people (IMO, this violent murderer does pose a public threat in Ireland but this only mentions 'public security/order/health')

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

They can be deported to their home country even if they are an EU citizen if they pose a security risk - i.e. committing crime

• Advertisement

But they committed fraud. They applied again under different names.

I'm sure when found out, their asylum/citizenship was gone. How do you expect to stop people committing fraud?

there is nothing to stop EU citizens moving here, so what would you suggest to stop them?

Have you ever heard of anyone in this country having their citizenship revoked or international protection withdrawn ,

A certain political candidate comes to mind,

Again I firmly believe foreign criminals should not be allowed entry eu citizens or not ,and that applies both ways , every other state should be allowed and entitled to deny entry to our criminals too .

Suspended sentence, ffs.

I thought there was some sort of system in place where we can remove EU citizens back to their home countries if they are considered a threat? If this still exists why isn't it being implemented in this case?

Now what, we wait and see who this guy will attack next?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭katiek102010

We rarely deport anyone , from foreign criminals to bogus asylum seekers ,

There has been celebration with the likes of the minister for justice and Lynn runane due to the fact nobody got deported during covid and they are looking forward to preventing deportations in the future.,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,685 ✭✭✭growleaves

It's not a part of Great Britain, it's part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

Great Britain is an island.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,779 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Yes, a conviction for a violent crime should prevent you from getting asylum, murder, rape, serious assault,...seriously violent crime involving weapons or drugs offenses should give any EU state the ‘option’ to safeguard its citizens by refusing entry, regardless of origin...Freedom of movement should be a right but a state should have the right to protect its citizens, first and foremost ..that should supersede any other rights.

get convicted of a serious crime as in dealing, transportation of or similar in relation to drugs, violence, weapons etc you forgo the right to enter another EU state, you’d need apply... drugs likewise...

it would be difficult to implement but I’d say it will need to be discussed in the coming years.

So we should be able to protect out citizens from criminals from other countries. What about criminals from Ireland? Are they entitled to live free once they have served their sentence?

Same restrictions would apply ,

Why would you be actually against it bubblypop ??

• Advertisement

Are you suggesting that criminals convicted in Ireland are not entitled to freedom?

Advertisement