Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wrestling News & Rumours Thread ***NO CHAT***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,437 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Jesus. Shouldn’t a former president be somewhere else on this particular weekend given the significant anniversary of 9/11 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

How's about just letting the 20th anniversary of 9/11 pass in peace. Without it being turned into a shitshow all about himself by the former guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,445 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

• Registered Users Posts: 23,104 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I would say it was a fall from grace to go from President to boxing commentator in a few months but he never had any grace anyway. Better off that he's back to that showbiz rubbish, he'll do far less damage there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84,986 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Reports saying wwe are looking to sell in the next 18 to 24 months and while nbc and fox are in the running to purchase, latest news is Disney is the mix too.

I said several months ago on here that wwe would likely be bought by Disney. Just a strong feeling I have. Now of course, if I could predict next weeks lotto numbers I would be more happy lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Kenny is a big lad and seeing him standing along side Cole on Wednesday, the latter's height didn't seem noticeable to me.

What is this age old obsession with height all about?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

The source reporting that WWE for sale story isn't anyway reputable apparently, so I'd take that story with a large pinch of salt.

I doubt it will be sold but if it is I'd say it won't be until Vince has passed on.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Kenny is billed at 6 foot, so he's only about 5'10. He would be considered small in WWE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Yeah, height shouldn't be an issue these days. We all know the story - wwe, even back in 1980s wwf was the land of the giants. Under 6ft and you were considered a midget lol. Sure over the last decade they've relaxed compared to what they've used to be but it's stupid.

Wrestling is all about making money. So does it matter if someone is 5ft6? I mean if someone is akin to a money printing press with how much they could make wwe, height shouldn't matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Look how entertaining Darby Allin is, he would not be pushed as hard if he was in WWE.

Height and size isnt everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,986 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Could The Rock afford to buy, he is minted from films and producing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

Pro wrestling is still an aesthetic business. A bad body, bad gear, bad haircut, all have the potential to mess you up. But height and not having a jump off the screen physique are obviously less important in 2021. It can still be an advantage, but Omega (his physique is impressive of course) at 5ft 10 is a great example of a wrestler in modern pro wrestling scaling to heights that maybe would not have been possible 25 years ago.

The WWF obsession with body and height gave them an edge over the NWA and certainly blew the British scene out of the water on shores closer to home but if the big body and height is the norm then it's the exceptions that stand out. It's no surprise Vince has gone back to his default mode (big is good), it's been successful before but when your audience is conditioned more to appreciate work ethic over look and their reactions on TV make that preference clear, it's tough for these big guys to get over purely on look anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,523 ✭✭✭savemejebus

The Rock would be mad to buy it. Whoever buys it inherits a buttload of upcoming trouble. Unionisation grumbles, independent contractor status, ongoing CTE problems. Whenever it's sold all this stuff will crop up because whoever buys won't have the experience/be as crooked/carny as WWE currently are to make all these things go away.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,281 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I can't stand James Cordon however he is a big deal in the States,

GCW getting major main stream coverage here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭ThePott

Johnny Gargano's contract is up December 3rd of this year.

WWE were apparently aware of this and thought Cole and Gargano's contract were up at the same time. There is interest in keeping him with the company with discussions to take place in the coming weeks. Sean Ross Sapp who broke the story seems to think he will leave though.

The WWE were apparently aware, and they didn't think to tie Gargano to another deal, instead of discussions to take place in the coming weeks.

Cole's contract expired after Summerslam, Kevin Owens deal is up in January 2022, Gargano's deal expires this December.

My one question, who's running their HR Department?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

While I agree Johnny should leave the problem is if he goes to AEW they’re getting very stacked with some serious talent some talent will be destined to be midcard fodder forever.

He would do well in IMPACT but that seems too small scale for him.

Gargano would be better off going to ROH or MLW and get the stink and stagnation of NXT off him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭Pentecost

Those making the decisions probably don't rate him that highly. Too small, too indie. I like him but he's not a game changer for AEW by any means. Or anyone else really.

PCO say his contract with ROH is up in December, I'd like to see him end to Impact I think he would fit in great there with there wacky gang.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

Gargano looks like a lock for AEW. I'm mixed, great wrestler in DGUSA, PWG and Evolve, loved the early NXT stuff but, and for all the claims that it's the house style that's the problem, has always had a tendency to lean into being overly dramatic.

Pete Dunne has signed a new 3 year deal according to fightful

No surprise I doubt any other US promotion would have signed him and WWE killed the English wrestling scene with NXT UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,437 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The same gobshite who scouted female talent in a catalogue, and booked the wrong one legged wrestler, and back in the day couldn’t imagine what a wrestler in OVW(Danny bashham) looked bald so had shave his head despite him being the OVW champion. There were contract issues in the attitude era but they were very few and far between because Jim Ross knew what he was doing unlike the less talented Laurinaitis.

I saw that Cornette video where he was rightly indignant at John Laurinatis for shaving Basham's head, while he was OVW Champion.

I guess if Edge & Bryan Danielson can come back from their own respective injuries, then surely Paige herself could.. Guess we'll know in the new year.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Fair play to Paige but I could care less about her. She wasted her potential ages before her injury.

• Advertisement

Find her so annoying especially "This is my house!!!" Always thought she was overrated in ring.

Advertisement