Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

HI-Vis vest with GADRA (sic) or GRADEA

• 06-09-2021 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭

Would this fall foul of Garda impersonation laws?

I saw a company on Amazon that makes custom made hi-vis jackets.

After having a couple of close passes and one or two loud beeps and (only one thankfully) instance of a sexual remark being made about me, I've had enough. This definitely wouldn't happen or be tolerated in Sweden or Denmark or the Netherlands. I am planning to get a hi vis jacket with GADRA or GRADEA cyclist (with cyclist being in tiny writing) or visit lake GARDA.

Would you be in breach of the Garda impersonation rules there? Would anyone dare try it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,223 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Slow day, yeah?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the Griffith Avenue and District Resident's Association might object to you co-opting their name.

https://www.gadra.ie/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

re the question posed, i suspect technically you'd run afoul of the law as you were trying to create the false impression you were a garda, but i don't know whether most gardai would shrug it off or not. might be worth posting the question in the relevant forum here (there's an emergency services one, not sure if there's one for the gardai too).

any sensible garda would probably understand why you're wearing it, i like to believe. i know three or four and they're all sympathetic to cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

These are very coomon in the UK with (motor)bikers. There are heaps of threads online about Hi Viz with POLITE written on them, have a search. You could buy one of these off the shelf and likely not run into too much grief with the Gardai

At the same time........https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/2019/june/polite-vest-ruined-life/

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Jeremy Sproket

Having spent a semester in Maastricht I sometimes see the odd person wearing them here and I momentarily thought "politie" 😁

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The "POLITE" ones that were fairly common a few years ago have vanished as far as I can see - I imagine they make you a target to be watched for the most minor infraction.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭ARX

How about an aCAB jacket?

the reasons the garda wouldn't care would obviously include the fact that 'POLICE' is not used on any form of garda hi-vis or uniform to identify themselves though.

i.e. wearing a vest saying 'NYPD' would functionally create no more or less of an impression that you were a garda than a POLITE vest would.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭this.lad

Maybe a jacket with IMPOLITE on it would make these people more careful, for fear of a torrent of verbal abuse?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,024 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Two thoughts:

First, if your intention is to dress in a way that might make people think that you are, or may be, a guard — yup, that is pretty much exactly the behaviour that is criminalised by Garda Síochána Act 2005 s. 60. Which is what you'd expect, really.

Secondly, if you think that being taken for a guard will protect you from disrespectful and derogatory comments in the street — well, maybe talk to a couple of guards about how well that works for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,264 ✭✭✭Macy0161

It doesn't seem to be available anymore, but my most effective "Hi Viz" is the Staying Alive at 1.5 "Recording my journey" gillet. Might be worth having a look at Recording my journey and/or camera logo's? I did Lap the Lough a couple of weeks ago, and it was very noticeable how many of the northern club kits had camera logo's somewhere on the back. Fear of (legal*) consequences is what changes motorists behaviour, which now does include camera footage.

*couldn't give a feck about killing or maiming, but hit them in the pocket...

agreed with the above post, just write “smile for the camera “ on a hi viz,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,454 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Bit of a strawman there to be honest - OP didnt mention concern about disrespectful comments, so congratulations on winning a debate that you started yourself.

As for the other point - OPs concern is about being killed or maimed on the roads, and with that in mind might be willing to take a chance on section s.60.

Given the amount of dangerous and illegal driving that the guards turn a blind eye to, it would be a bit rich to clamp down on something like that.

Its gas how people (motorists) can be so righteous about one law being broken, and so indifferent to other laws being broken (the ones they break themselves).

Just had a quick google - loads on ebay/ amazon aimed at horse riders with stuff like "Slow Down, You're on Camera"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,454 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Edit - apols, mis read the OP's post, so its me who is wrong about the strawman, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Have a PassPixi on the back of one of my jackets or you can attach it to your panniers too. Not sure if it makes any difference as Limerick drivers arent the worst.

Do you have a recommendation for a rear-facing camera?

I have a hybrid bike with that spring-loaded rectangular shaped thing (whatever it's called) presumably for attaching bags etc. Could you get one that's mountable to that?

Has anyone ever used a pool noodle to prevent close passes?

I'd be a bit embarrassed using one tbh :P

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

I have this in both gilet and jersey. It is utterly astonishing how noticeably behaviour around you changes when you have either of these on. It's also a shocking indictment of the standard of driving in this country that the only reason many people refrain from injuring someone else on the road is the fear of being penalised for it.

probably easier to mount one to your seat post (unless of course it's obscured by the carrier)

• Advertisement

Thanks for the tip ... I have a rear facing red light .... 🤔 is there by any chance something hifalutin that might double up as a LED light AND a camera ?? 😋

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Yes, cycliq fly6 is a rear light with camera built in.

Thank you 😊 I'll let Santa know about that one!

I'd not recommend a fly 6 I've a second gen one and for the price you'd be better off with a 150-200 euro camera and a 50 euro light to be honest. Looking at the gen 3 it's actually not as bright as previous versions.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Jonesy101

doubt anyone would think youre a garda if youre in your lycra half way up glencullen road or sweating on your way to work racing yourself down the canal

• Registered Users Posts: 16,871 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

It really depends on what it looks like next to a genuine GARDA one. If you copy their design, colour, font etc then I could see trouble down the road

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I think you're just offering a target to passing drivers

I've the aldi knock off version of the fly6, and a first generation fly12. But motorists can't see them, so they're not as effective as the gillet. If/ when back in the office, I'll be looking at helmet cams as they're a visible deterrent.

After so many close passes walking, I've taken to holding my phone as though I'm filming (very obviously) walking the short stretch from our house to the footpath. You can actually see the motorists think about squeezing past, seeing the phone, and then slow and the indicator goes on...

I really don't want to be "that guy" but feel I'm forced by motorist behaviour, the judiciary, RSA and the gardai to be that person.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

Stick some flashing blue lights on as well, have seen Deliveroo cyclists in Cork with them so them must be legal 🤔

• Advertisement

Fly12 rip off in the Aldi specials coming up, as per the mega thread!

Advertisement