Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why no SUVs used as taxis?

Options
  • 26-08-2021 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭

Not talking about the likes of Range Rover, X5 etc they are too expensive to run but the likes of Qashqai, Tucson etc.....popular stuff with private buyers in Ireland? Taxis still dominated by the likes of Octavia, Prius etc.....just wondering why they are so popular with private buyers but taxi drivers havent moved over to them? Not looking to replace 7/8 seater proper MPVs but the saloons that drivers still use

By all accounts SUVs better for bad backs (which i dont believe), visibility, passenger and luggage space etc.....and just as good on fuel according to owners

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

I thought they aren't that bigger for passenger and luggage space. Just higher driving position.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,241 ✭✭✭✭Victor

There are certain rules as to what the NTA will accept as (ordinary) taxis and hackneys. Cost of purchase and operating costs will be another matter. Insurance may be the decider on cost - a high vehicle with 5 adults + luggage is going to be less stable than others.

Wheelchair taxis and limousines have different rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Taxi drivers need reliable cars and generally want inoffensive cars to not scare passengers away. Ever been inside a Qashqai? Majority would rather walk :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The original Qashai and the Qashqai+2 are not permitted as a taxi because they don't have the boot space. Newer Qashqais can.

I expect in most cases drivers go with vehicles that are best known for reliability; being able to do 200k km without needing two weeks off the road for repairs. SUVs are largely aimed at people who don't do a lot of mileage, and they can be pretty expensive to repair.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I have seen a few Rav4 used as taxis, so they are out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Generally inferior interior space, higher running costs - even if you take fuel consumption out of the equation, things like larger tyres cost more.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,829 ✭✭✭User1998

Saw a nice id4 taxi in town the other day

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭kirving

"Just as good on fuel according to their owners"

Even on boards I read unbelievably optimistic fuel economy figures for every make and model.

ICE engines have been very refined for 20 years, and I often hear about people saying that their newer, larger, heavier car is much easier on fuel than their last. I just don't believe it half the time, and I'm fairly particular about fuel economy as I do big motorway miles in a PHEV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Buffman

There are a few Outlander PHEV taxis around.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Seen a few ID4s in Dublin, actually quite a few new taxis seem to be EV. I don't really like EVs in general but it makes sense for taxi drivers to switch to them as they will get the biggest benefits in savings, the planet will get the biggest benefit (because despite all the extra pollution involved in making them, the high mileage of taxi drivers means the payback period will be far quicker compared to ordinary drivers) and the Government is giving huge grants for taxi drivers who make the switch.

I won't miss diesel clatter and rattles when I'm in an electric taxi either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,115 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Hybrids, electrics and PHEV's have exemptions on boot space size for use as a taxi that ICE cars have to comply with. Some would be completely impractical for say Airport pickup and dropoff, I've seen a Renault Zoe taxi before, don't think that would even hold 1 set of golf clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,111 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Taxi drivers get substantial grants if they switch to brand new EVs. A taxi driving living near me has switched from his 10 or 11 year old Avensis to a brand new Tesla Model 3. I've also seen a fair amount of older JDM Prius and Prius+ now going being used as taxis.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Was in Barcelona last weekend where a substantial amount of the taxis are the pseudo-SUV ("crossover" is probably too modern a term for it) Dacia Lodgy, usually 5 seater form. Remembered this thread when seeing them!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 mortis43

Definitely not the case everywhere, in lanzarote a few years ago most of the taxis I saw were Clios 😃

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

The payback period of an EV is only around 15000 km in Ireland. Not long in a taxi as you say.

SUVs are smaller inside, smaller boots and use more fuel than their saloon or hatchback equivalents. None of which are good for taxis. Big grants available now for EVs as Taxis and with running costs of around 1 Euro per 100km it's a no brainer

Advertisement