Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

VW ID. Life

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭cannco253

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭kaahooters

i havent watched yet but looks like the honda e

When the motor is moved to the front one has to question the viability of the MEB platform to underpin VAG's mainstream models for the rest of the decade.

Front motor/Front drive is probably optimum for Segment A, B and C cars and while VAG have gone with a rear drive platform I think they will make it succeed by virtue of their marketing might and financial resources.

There may be space to store a cable in the froot/frunk but if you are charging at a fast charger you will have to remove the cable from there and put it in the boot for safe keeping while fast charging.

Another longer version of the reveal with more detail in the preamble

• Registered Users Posts: 4,396 ✭✭✭eagerv

I'd say that is about as far from reality as you could get. The basic shape however may be close enough..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Probably one of the worst looking cars I have seen in the past twenty years.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,256 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I like it…

I don’t think it’ll be too different when it comes to market. The projector is probably a €2k option

using your phone is a bit hit or miss , but the hud should give everthing needed.

could see it been my daughters 1st car.

Decent looking car. Although it is blatantly obvious that they ripped off the design of the Honda E. Although if they can keep the cost down. I'd say it will make a decent city car. I can't imagine it will have that great a range compared to other but much more expensive models.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,792 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Would you not think the Honda E has very similar external design to the original Golf with a bit of of original Civic thrown in?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Apparently it comes with a 57kWh battery (presumably that's the biggest size and won't be the €20k version), so you'd be expecting ID.3 levels of range. 300-350km should be quite doable

Also a big battery like that means you'd only be charging once a week if you live and work in the city. Makes living off public charging a lot easier

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,256 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Makes you wonder, the ID4 52kwh claims 340km range

Heavier car I guess, and less aerodynamic

The ID.Life would have an advantage in that it's aimed for city driving, so generally low speed and quite efficient.

Aerodynamics aren't going to be a massive factor at those speeds, but I suspect weight plays heavily into efficiency when you're in stop & start traffic

So a smaller and lighter car would have a lot of advantages there

A good equivalent is the e208 which gets 270-415km of city driving with a 45kWh usable battery. Scale that up to 57kWh and you get ranges of 341-525km in the city

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Also like it. Top thing is the simplification. Takes those God awful screens out and puts functionality into the steering wheel or another device like your phone which I connect for maps messages and music. Not sure in what situation I would use cinema though?

First video I've seen outside of the IAA

This will be a tough market for VAG. There will be a Citroen C3, Renault 4 and 5 and MG 3 chipping away at the lower end of that market.

I don't see that fabric bonnect making it into production. I have images of someone leaving the zip undone and the sheet flapping across the windscreen on the motorway 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭Miscreant

Or someone putting a blade through it for the laugh.....

Yeah I wouldn't be happy keeping anything valuable in there

I do like quite a few of the ideas with the ID. Life. The way the parcel shelf can fit neatly in the boot floor and the front and rear seats fold completely flat is really clever I think. Gives a small car lots of space to carry stuff

I'm not 100% sold on the phone companion app thing. It seems to work well in the E-Up, but I'd imagine to pass regulators they'll need a real instrument cluster and controls

Also, it finally has an AC output. My smidge of German wasn't enough to hear if they said how much power you could get out of it, but I think he mentioned powering an electric grill or cooker, which would indicate 2kW or more

Advertisement