Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

• 08-09-2021 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭

Hi all

any insight into what I would pay for the below

70m swa 16mm cable connected to consumer unit, brought through to the outside by drilling through an internal wall (behind consumer unit) and then drilling though exterior wall. (2 m away from consumer unit)

the cable will be left outside and I’ll bring it through the the back of the garden when we get to do doing the patio. we’re in Dublin

any guidance on price I’d be expected to pay

thanks all

Post edited by karlitob on

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

According to this the SWA will cost €623 (not too sure how good a price this is):

Add to this €400 for labour (8 hours), add VAT and you won't be too far off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭karlitob

Zz

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

You may be correct on the price of the cable. I don't agree on charging for 1 hour as the job would have to be surveyed to know what it entails, the cable has to be collected from the wholesaler, then installed and then tested. That is quite a lot of work for 1 hours pay!

All electrical work needs to be finincially worthwhile, otherwise what is the point? You will find that most REC's charge for a minimum of 1 day's work and many charge a call out charge too.

Do you expect the electrician to do 7 other "1 hour" jobs that day to make up a full days pay?

Anyway, I don't want to make a big deal about it, maybe you can do better.

On another note, I would not terminate the cable at the board until it is terminated at the other end (for safety reasons).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Bear in mind that's not a currently-permitted cable type - it will now need an LSF sheath rather than PVC to meet the Dca, s2, d2, a2 requirements. So the cable will be dearer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Install and connect a 70m cable run in an hour? Are you actually serious?

• Advertisement

ii

Pp

Ppp

You did not read my post. I did not say it would take 8 hours and I did not say the REC would stay the day. I did say that “electrical work needs to be finincially worthwhile, otherwise what is the point?”

I also said that “You will find that most REC's charge for a minimum of 1 day's work and many charge a call out charge too”.

I also see that you did not answer this question:

Do you expect the electrician to do 7 other "1 hour" jobs that day to make up a full days pay?

Also consider this: Does the cable need glands? Would you expect a test certificate? Would you expect it to be fixed down the outside wall? Does it require a protective device in the board?

Anyway, you asked for a view, I have given mine based on my experience. I have no reason to mislead you as I have not worked on my tools in a very long time. I will be 27 years qualified as an electrician in a few months so I should know something about how REC’s charge

Qw

• Advertisement

Not really sure what you mean.

Advertisement