Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Warm Hatch Tyre Recommendation

• 07-09-2021 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone, looking to get a new set of tyres for a recently purchased 150bhp Fiat hatch size 225/45/17. With the amount out there its hard to make sense of it all, braking and wet handling and low noise is a priority while keeping the price below 80 ideally but open to suggestions. While only one rear needs to be replaced considering changing the two at back or potentially all 4 if a good deal is found.

Also if anyone has a good shout for a C class coupe with the staggered 255/35/18 & 225/40/18 feel free to share :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,365 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Bit of a can of worms, the manufacturers will say to put the new tyres on the back in case your car oversteers in extreme conditions, I think that’s nonsense unless you’re dealing with dangerous tyres.

cant really go wrong with Good Year F1, good grip, decent noise levels

or Efficient Grip Performance. Great combination of grip, slow wear and low noise

Luckily 225/45R17 ahd 225/40R18 are quite common sizes and reasonably cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭djan

I've looked into where to put the new tyres with a lot saying to place it at the back too. On the other hand, given that the fronts do the most braking I would wonder if that would be more useful in normal driving/emergency.

Thanks for the suggestions, seem to get good reviews and at a decent price too!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,812 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I don't think that you will get good tyres in that size for €80 a corner, even online you need to consider fitting and disposal at €10 or more a corner.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,085 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

You might get Eagle F1s for 100 a corner fitted but probably more likely 110 I'd say.

They're what I use on a slightly more tepid Fiat 'hot'hatch with an utterly obscure size so costs a tad more for them. Used Uniroyal Rainsports (2 and 3) for a while but they appear to be made out of talcum powder or something similarly easy to wear out, so went back to Goodyear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭djan

That's what I've been looking at too. The EFFICIENTGRIP PERFORMANCE came in at 87, which would be the better tyre? With the assymetric would definitely have to grab a pair and also unsure on having rear axle assymetric and front bog standard budgets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

Good years I have them on my Focus st lovely in all weather!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Tyre choice is very subjective.

This might help though...https://www.tyrereviews.com/Tyres_For/Fiat/Bravo.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I had Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance on my Prius (about 135 bhp) and the front wheels tended to spin a bit too easily (e.g. making right turns on busy country roads). I've moved to Bridgestone Turanza T005 and they seem to have better grip so far, though these would be considered their more general "touring" tyre and not performance (which would be the Potenza).

Advertisement